Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football commentators terminology

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Matterface is getting pelters tonight for mispronounciation...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Matterface is a disgustingly bad commentator. Not a pleasant individual either. Total wanker in fact.
When Arsenal get corners he goes Jonathan Pearce on steroids, screeching at high volume. Why?

Someone posted here recently that there’s a 3% of scoring from a corner.

Just one of his annoying traits, along with waffle about silly (researched) facts.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
When Arsenal get corners he goes Jonathan Pearce on steroids, screeching at high volume. Why?

Someone posted here recently that there’s a 3% of scoring from a corner.

Just one of his annoying traits, along with waffle about silly (researched) facts.
Less than 2% actually. Morinho was always amused by English crowds getting so excited by knowing this, when first game to England. Apparently we’re a bit different to anywhere else on this front.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Less than 2% actually. Morinho was always amused by English crowds getting so excited by knowing this, when first game to England. Apparently we’re a bit different to anywhere else on this front.
Some clubs fans seem to go bananas when they’re awarded a corner, noticeable at the Amex. Leeds, Villa, Newcastle for example, whoever the manager and style of play is. As if they’re moments away from a goal. Alcohol talking?

I’m more philosophical after seeing Dunk & Co seemingly never bury corners.

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
I hate it when commentators make statements about things and assume that us listeners know what they are talking about and then leave us in suspense, for example :-

'' Brighton are playing 3 1 4 2 today, and we all know what happened last time they did that".

You wait for the commentator to tell us what did happen, but no.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Some clubs fans seem to go bananas when they’re awarded a corner, noticeable at the Amex. Leeds, Villa, Newcastle for example, whoever the manager and style of play is. As if they’re moments away from a goal. Alcohol talking?

I’m more philosophical after seeing Dunk & Co seemingly never bury corners.
Yes, although a friend often reminds me when I quoted that stat before Murray scored a moment later late on at Bham away 2016/17. We went bat shit, obviously. Really began to believe we were going up, no question, that afternoon.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, although a friend often reminds me when I quoted that stat before Murray scored a moment later late on at Bham away 2016/17. We went bat shit, obviously. Really began to believe we were going up, no question, that afternoon.
I remember that so well, watching/listening from the sofa.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here