Foods the world would be better without

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Lastly.. pickled onion flavour monster munch..

war why soldier poster.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have read this thread with a look of askance. There have been quite a few mentions of foods that can be transformed if prepared right.....

Celery can be a struggle eaten raw. It is better if dipped in salt. But if you chop it finely and roast it with good quality tomato, coconut oil, selected herbs and spices (including clover, cioriander, cardamom), garlick and (another pet hate of many) beetroot, it makes an awesome base for curry or bouillabaisse. Keep it in the fridge and add fresh asparagus and (yes, another hate of many) broccoli on the day, and a small tin of coconut milk, bung it on the hob, add the seafood (or roast whole fish separately - best for salmon or cod), and I swear you'll live forever.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
For some inexplicable reason whilst shopping for suitable fillings for lunchtime sandwiches for work I came across Sainsburys Basics Cgicken Roll slices, you know the type of thing, what would otherwise be waste meat reformed into a hunk of meat and filler and chopped into slices. Now I really do not know why but I bought a packet of it, maybe the price seemed good at 75 pence for about 30 slices! Anyway sandwiches made the next morning, decent bread, bit of salad and a dressing and I grabbed an extra couple of slices to eat there and then, poor mans breakfast on the move I guess. Before the 'meat' even hit my tongue I was already thinking how grey, bland and uninteresting it looked, once my taste buds began to appreciate the goddamn awful texture and taste, and my nose just kept telling me to get rid of the hideousness in my mouth I began to wretch. That good huh?

Even then I still took the bloody sandwiches to work! My colleagues thought I was actually having a billius attack as I attempted to eat my lunch. In the end I finally threw the sandwiches in the bin at work, and the remainder of the slices in my home bin. At work we have now nicknamed this product 'toffee chicken', DISGUSTING!!!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I have read this thread with a look of askance. There have been quite a few mentions of foods that can be transformed if prepared right.....

Celery can be a struggle eaten raw. It is better if dipped in salt. But if you chop it finely and roast it with good quality tomato, coconut oil, selected herbs and spices (including clover, cioriander, cardamom), garlick

yes, sounds nice, but you know what would make that recipe even better? not putting celery in it.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Celery can be a struggle eaten raw. It is better if dipped in salt. But if you chop it finely and roast it with good quality tomato, coconut oil, selected herbs and spices (including clover, cioriander, cardamom), garlick and (another pet hate of many) beetroot, it makes an awesome base for curry or bouillabaisse. Keep it in the fridge and add fresh asparagus and (yes, another hate of many) broccoli on the day, and a small tin of coconut milk, bung it on the hob, add the seafood (or roast whole fish separately - best for salmon or cod), and I swear you'll live forever.

Don't think I've ever seen a curry recipe with celery in it (maybe it's not grown is Asia, I don't know), but I wouldn't make a proper British stew or casserole without it in the base, or spag bol come to think of it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Butternut squash. The most rubbish filling ever to be included in an Amex pie. OK, veggie pie is always going to be a poor substitute for a proper pie. but it doesn't need to be QUITE such a bland insult to the tastebuds.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Durian fruit. If you've ever tasted or smelled it, you'll know.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Agree. Once had to travel in a car with a boot load of the evil stuff across Cambodia. Wretched the whole way!

Have you ever eaten it?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
the thought of having it in a dessert pie like the Yanks, well, it's just not on.

Sweet potato tart was the dessert cooked for Mrs Gwylan the first time she came to my place for dinner. She thought it was a bit strange, ended up having three helpings and we're still together 16 years later

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Felafel - really, you've got to be Green voting, curd bean munching wally brain to think that shite tastes GOOD !

the Israeli variety is good,the others, like the lebanese etc just tastes of cumin and is vile.

Parsley
Parma ham
Parmasan cheese

all have better alternatives

Celery is a decent herb in stews etc. odd thread this

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports