Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Food Poverty figures in Worthing

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
my experience of working with people on the breadline doesn't reflect on the above at all

latest iphone? absolutely not. Zero chance on getting accepted for a contract and buying outright is completely out of reach. They might have a smart phone, yes, but that not only is bordering on a necessity these days but is also a one off/long term purchase so is pretty irrelevant in regards to their ability to buy food which is a constant need

tattoos? again, pretty pricey unless it's a pile of shit. People aren't skipping food to get tattoos....seriously

nails? see above

starbucks?! probably on the lower end when it comes to coffee but I haven't worked with anyone who is skipping food to knock back countless amounts of coffee...how much coffee do you think people can drink in a day?! People might be going to Starbucks to use the wifi if they can't afford it at home, but apart from that...no

McFlurry? yeh, that's food

The point I was trying to make was that people spend on these items then trot down to CAB to get food bank vouchers. If I am the pit dweller people were referring to, fair enough. But I have seen them in Worthing CAB queuing for their vouchers.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
We need PR voting and break the current undemocratic FPP system where the ruling class are mostly people of wealth and privilege who do not resonate with ordinary folk or represent the demographic, and who's only purpose is to maintain the modus operandi of plutocracy. It won't solve all our problems but it's a first step

I never used to think this way, but over the last 10 years, have come around to it.

The Tories stay in power by divide and rule of the other parties supporters.
Unfortunately both Labour and Liberal supporters play into their hands.

At heart both parties have a broadly similar view on the main policy items, certainly closer than the Tory ideology.
Labour missed a trick, by not bringing it in when they had the opportunity.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
when its the starting point for policy, yes. saying we must tax a group or thing more, then thinking about how to spend it, is ideological. tax should be the end of the discussion, after determining what needs to be done and how it might be delivered.

and i cant believe Germany has no charity. for a start they have food banks that 1.7million use.

I didn’t say Germany has no charity, they say there should be no need for charities.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I've often wondered that. Why can't you get 100% mortgages? Surely that would be a better option than renting?

100% mortgages exist, but usually with a higher rate and with a guarantor with assets providing additional security. Normally the debt is secured against the purchased property, so there needs to be some headroom for the lender to cover the costs of repossession and disposal as well as an amount for possible decrease in value. To get round that the lender takes additional security on another asset, usually another property with equity.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
The point I was trying to make was that people spend on these items then trot down to CAB to get food bank vouchers. If I am the pit dweller people were referring to, fair enough. But I have seen them in Worthing CAB queuing for their vouchers.

You're aware that it's possible for people's circumstances to change?

One month you have a job and decide to get a tattoo, the next you might lose the job and then be out of work for a couple of months and need to use a foodbank etc etc

That your first thought is they've decided to spend money on any of things you've listed instead of on food and therefore shouldn't have to use a foodbank is quite revealing about what sort of person you are.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

I disagree with basically everything you've posted so far but, no, you're not who I was referring to :thumbsup:

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

The great success of the media propaganda machine is convincing people that the working classes are the authors of their own demise. It's a sad indictment that corrupt government contracts, tax avoidance both corporate and personal go largely unchallenged, whereas someone in poverty with a smartphone is vilified. It really is a tragically successful trick.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The great success of the media propaganda machine is convincing people that the working classes are the authors of their own demise. It's a sad indictment that corrupt government contracts, tax avoidance both corporate and personal go largely unchallenged, whereas someone in poverty with a smartphone is vilified. It really is a tragically successful trick.

Exactly. Try job hunting without a smartphone nowadays.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

how do you know what people "queuing for their vouchers at the worthing CAB" are spending money on, out of interest?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

or daring to get food vouchers MEANWHILE SPLASHING THE CASH ON MCFLURRIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Skip food? yes, but skip the latest iphone, Tattoos, nails, Starbucks and McFlurries? No.

To an extent, this is a demographic: there are one or two parents we see at the nipper's school who skip food, but not their own (judging by the size of them) but the kids' who they routinely send in hungry while standing around in their tracckies chatting to their mates on their iPhones. It is plain and simple neglect.

However I am not sure that all those who are classed as in poverty are all one and the same people as the types described above.

Last edited:

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Exactly. Try job hunting without a smartphone nowadays.

A progressive society has to have a route out of poverty (although really no poverty to get out of in the first place...).

However, it is the regressive notion of trapping them where they are - if you can afford a smartphone you can afford food. Not that a smartphone is an essential tool for anyone to succeed in modern life, and certainly a necessary expense if you want to get out of your situation, whatever that maybe.

A Poverty Trap is an economic reality. .

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Because there is no cushion for the lenders if the borrower moves into negative equity. The consequence is that either homeowners are unable to afford to move (as cannot repay their mortgage from house sale proceeds) or their homes are repossessed if they cannot meet mortgage payments. They still owe the negative equity. This has happened enough times for the regulators to make sure it is no longer allowed. See eg early 90s and 2008. Banks would be very keen to lend 100 % and sod the consequences. This is why we need strong regulators to ensure the mistakes of past generations are not repeated.

Yep, makes sense I guess.

What is the average wage these days? About £27K, isn't it? I cannot fathom how somebody can get by on that if they have children. Let alone a partner that doesn't work. The numbers just don't add up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Word.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
how do you know what people "queuing for their vouchers at the worthing CAB" are spending money on, out of interest?

I guess he read it on Facebook?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Because there is no cushion for the lenders if the borrower moves into negative equity. The consequence is that either homeowners are unable to afford to move (as cannot repay their mortgage from house sale proceeds) or their homes are repossessed if they cannot meet mortgage payments. They still owe the negative equity. This has happened enough times for the regulators to make sure it is no longer allowed. See eg early 90s and 2008. Banks would be very keen to lend 100 % and sod the consequences. This is why we need strong regulators to ensure the mistakes of past generations are not repeated.

This is also why lenders now also have to stress test +3% your offered rate for fixed terms below 5 years to ensure its sustainable

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here