Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Food Hygiene Ratings

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Do you pay attention to them? I've had some shocks and disappointments lately with various restaurants and takeaways I frequent. Not really taken much notice until now but have been put off a bit.

Knowing someone in the trade they were awarded a 5 as was inspected when the restaurant was closed.

In shoreham, The Curry Place and the burger place on Shoreham Beach (forgot name, but used to be on the coast road in Southwick) were inspected and awarded ZERO stars!

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
The star system is nothing to do with the food. The stars are awarded based on your following of certain standards the food industry/ goverment has in place. Making sure you have written evidence of all fridge/freezer temps twice a day, probing and recording temps of all cooked food and food which sits on a hot plate or in a chiller, your cleaning schedule and making sure things are kept clean, your storage areas are kept clean and tidy with food adequatly stored in correct ways, personal hygiene of all staff, no evidence of pests and generally keeping the place clean even when slammed. I manage a cafe/canteen and have been awarded five stars and have another visit due early next year. They give you a list of things you have to have done by next visit otherwise the stars awarded are reduced until you have completed all the tasks required, and then you only get the star back the following year if you have done everything. Its very easy to get 5 stars and stay there.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
There was a takeaway place on the Dials that was closed down for having no hot water. They got a kettle and were then allowed to re-open. Nice.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
The star system is nothing to do with the food. The stars are awarded based on your following of certain standards the food industry/ goverment has in place. Making sure you have written evidence of all fridge/freezer temps twice a day, probing and recording temps of all cooked food and food which sits on a hot plate or in a chiller, your cleaning schedule and making sure things are kept clean, your storage areas are kept clean and tidy with food adequatly stored in correct ways, personal hygiene of all staff, no evidence of pests and generally keeping the place clean even when slammed. I manage a cafe/canteen and have been awarded five stars and have another visit due early next year. They give you a list of things you have to have done by next visit otherwise the stars awarded are reduced until you have completed all the tasks required, and then you only get the star back the following year if you have done everything. Its very easy to get 5 stars and stay there.

I've recently moved back to Shoreham and am amazed at the lack of 5 Stars as you go down the alphabetical list. All I can say is the busineses can't be too bothered if it's that easy

Weretheweststand

Unregistered User
Aug 23, 2011
Hailsham
We've got 5 stars where I work and my boss is very proud and protective of it.
It's pretty simple stuff really tbh, if a restaurant has under a 3, they obviously don't care very much about hygiene and I wouldn't want to eat there, a 3 is pretty much basic common sense.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I see no reason why it shouldn't be made law that restaurants/cafes have to display their ratings.

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
I see no reason why it shouldn't be made law that restaurants/cafes have to display their ratings.

They do have to. You have a stickered certificate for the front door/window and a card certificate for the wall. it also has to be the latest one so you cant keep a 5 star one up if youve been dropped to 4 stars. They are dated on the back so you can see if its over a year old, if it is they may be telling porkies

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

think this is due in the new year. As has been stated getting a rating of 5 or at least a 4 is pretty easy. You just need to have a suitably equipped premises and sensible procedures which are adhered to (and recorded).

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
They do have to. You have a stickered certificate for the front door/window and a card certificate for the wall. it also has to be the latest one so you cant keep a 5 star one up if youve been dropped to 4 stars. They are dated on the back so you can see if its over a year old, if it is they may be telling porkies

Ah there we go (got a 5 BTW) ... although to be an irritating pedant they are not 'stars' anymore - that was the old scores on the doors scheme.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I don't think there should be a star system. You should be inspected and you're either up to scratch, ie perfect or you're closed. Surely they could manage that, either cook my food without getting shit on it, and wash your hands first or get out of the restaurant business you incompetent twat. I just don't see the problem. Who decides to opene a restaurant and thinks "Well, I'll be fairly clean but I won't bother to be really clean, see what happens" Don't bother if you're attitude is "3 stars will do"

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I don't think there should be a star system. You should be inspected and you're either up to scratch, ie perfect or you're closed. Surely they could manage that, either cook my food without getting shit on it, and wash your hands first or get out of the restaurant business you incompetent twat. I just don't see the problem. Who decides to opene a restaurant and thinks "Well, I'll be fairly clean but I won't bother to be really clean, see what happens" Don't bother if you're attitude is "3 stars will do"

Some of the criteria isn't about BEING clean it's about how you record your food safety and cleaning tasks.

Do YOU take the temperature of your own fridge or freezer twice a day and write it down? No? Well you don't get five stars. It's not just "oh well this is clean, well done". You can be clean and have no stars if you do't have a set of documented procedures and safety checks which are recorded. That's my understanding of it, and i've seen our EHO report yesterday in fact.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Dragon Inn Chinese Restaurant in Uckfield. Two stars and I'm not sure how they got those. But more importantly they had the sticker up for a while then took it down. Not seen it for a year or so.

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
A lot depends weather it's a pre arranged visit where it's easy to clean up and get records up to date or a total out the blue stop where things are how they are realy run day to day

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Some of the criteria isn't about BEING clean it's about how you record your food safety and cleaning tasks.

Do YOU take the temperature of your own fridge or freezer twice a day and write it down? No? Well you don't get five stars. It's not just "oh well this is clean, well done". You can be clean and have no stars if you do't have a set of documented procedures and safety checks which are recorded. That's my understanding of it, and i've seen our EHO report yesterday in fact.

Yes, I remember doing that when I worked in a kitchen. It doesn't really relate to being at home though, if you are a restaurant and a a customer gets ill you need those samples to identify if the problem was with you and if so what the source was. You have a responsibility to a customer, at home you are only reponsible for yourself.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's pretty simple stuff really tbh, if a restaurant has under a 3, they obviously don't care very much about hygiene and I wouldn't want to eat there, a 3 is pretty much basic common sense.

if a 3 is common sence, whats a 2 or 1? must try harder? poor but no reported deaths yet?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Wing Hing - Takeaway/sandwich shop

6 County Oak Avenue
Brighton
Brighton & Hove
BN1 8LT

Date of inspection: 26 September 2012

0 stars

Impressive!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here