Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Food and Fuel

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
As we are now outside the EU can we now go back to selling food in pounds and ounces and petrol and diesel in gallons?

The government took the decision to move to the metric system in 1965 and the Metrication Board was set up in 1968 - which is people like me who started secondary school in 68 were taught entirely in metric. Joining the EEC accelerated the process, but we'd have moved to a metric system whatever happened - there was too much pressure from industry to resist the process

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The government took the decision to move to the metric system in 1965 and the Metrication Board was set up in 1968 - which is people like me who started secondary school in 68 were taught entirely in metric. Joining the EEC accelerated the process, but we'd have moved to a metric system whatever happened - there was too much pressure from industry to resist the process

I seem to recall that the selling of loose food in pounds and ounces only ceased from 1 January 2000 which was partly due to an EU requirement that packed food must be sold under metric measurements.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Fresh bread luxury we only dreamed of fresh bread. We had to scrape off the mould with our tongues then soak the bread in a lake to soften it ip so it wouldn't break our teeth.

We used to dream of mould. We lived in a house under an EU butter mountain and drank slips of rancid butter for breakfast if we were lucky. We dreamed of living by a lake.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
We used to dream of mould. We lived in a house under an EU butter mountain and drank slips of rancid butter for breakfast if we were lucky. We dreamed of living by a lake.

When I say a lake it was a lake to us but more a rusty puddle where drips collected below rusting pipes.
Butter I once saw a picture of a butter block but any spread on our bread was mercury from disguarded and broken thermometers

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
When I say a lake it was a lake to us but more a rusty puddle where drips collected below rusting pipes.
Butter I once saw a picture of a butter block but any spread on our bread was mercury from disguarded and broken thermometers

Right.......we dreamed of mercury to keep us warm during the Winter of Discontent. Me and my ten brothers used to go searching for broken glass to sell to the recycling factories. The only way to keep the furnaces going in the factories was to put one of my siblings onto the fuel heaps. We had to rub the rust off any pipes we were lucky enough to find onto our arms to protect us from the heat. But we were happy.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Right.......we dreamed of mercury to keep us warm during the Winter of Discontent. Me and my ten brothers used to go searching for broken glass to sell to the recycling factories. The only way to keep the furnaces going in the factories was to put one of my siblings onto the fuel heaps. We had to rub the rust off any pipes we were lucky enough to find onto our arms to protect us from the heat. But we were happy.

And if you tell the youngsters of today.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here