Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Foo Fighters

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
First three albums good, fourth ok, rest meh - as far as I can tell.

Actually shocked by this. Their music has lost originality and Grohl lost his voice in circa 2004. (I first saw them at Brixton Academy in 2000 and last saw them at Concorde 2, two years ago.

Genuinely my least favourite song by any band that I like, so repetitive and mundane.

Let's be honest and look more closely at your first two points. You basically do not like the Foo's, that is fine, but it kinda blows the last point out of the water?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
This post is the musical equivalent of strangling a kitten.

Or blowing its head off with a shot gun.

Too soon?
I used to go out with a girl who was originally from Blackpool (yes dyed blonde hair and massive tits but she was actually lovely) who was a MASSIVE Nirvana fan.

Her and her friends were seriously into their music and one weekend, back in Blackpool we ended up, after a club, at her mate's house sat round the table drinking etc. This was maybe 2002.

I happened to mention that I thought what Dave Grohl had done since Nirvana was better than anything they'd done together. Thought I'd dropped a proper bollock for about five seconds with the bird staring at me as if I'd slapped her mum until she smiled and said "yeah, you're probably right".

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I thought they looked excellent at Glastonbury and I have just finished a documentary on Netflix about them.

I loved their first album and then went a bit cold on them for a while apart from the odd tune that i really liked. Learn to Fly, Times Like These, Monkey Wrench. Thought I might make a playlist on Spotify.

Recommendations?

And of course don't forget to let everyone know if you think they are shit :D

What's the title of it, as I'm trying to search for it?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Most over rated band on the planet. Would never have made it anywhere if Grohl wasnt the drummer for Nirvana.

Quite. Biggest leg-up ever. How far up the rocky ladder would they have progressed without Nirvana Iconic Death association, do you suppose? Not very far I'd suggest. Sort of like the US equivalent of the former Aussie lame ducks INXS. Or just about every other Oz act really. Still, good luck to them if they can fool enough of the people enough of the time.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Let's be honest and look more closely at your first two points. You basically do not like the Foo's

Balls, they were my favourite band for about 8 years. Just think they have become a bit bland.

They also went through a phase of Dave making this big speech for every new album they released saying it was by far the best they'd done ever, and how they were going back to their rock routes, whilst doing nothing of the sort.

Will give the new album a listen though.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
First three albums good, fourth ok, rest meh - as far as I can tell.

Actually shocked by this. Their music has lost originality and Grohl lost his voice in circa 2004. (I first saw them at Brixton Academy in 2000 and last saw them at Concorde 2, two years ago.

Genuinely my least favourite song by any band that I like, so repetitive and mundane.

I mean the quality of their live performances have improved. When I saw them at Reading in 95 and subsequent years in the early days they were very raw and amateurish, Now they are just very very good at what they do. At the O2 earlier this year I think it was the best I've seen them and they played a 3 hour set including tracks from pretty much every album and it was fantastic. You certainly get value for money form their gigs.

Every Album they have made has spawned at least one or two real classic rock tracks. I think the one thing they are missing though is that perfect truly great album. Colour and the shape was the closest they came to that but even that didn't quite hit it.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Quite. Biggest leg-up ever. How far up the rocky ladder would they have progressed without Nirvana Iconic Death association, do you suppose? Not very far I'd suggest. Sort of like the US equivalent of the former Aussie lame ducks INXS. Or just about every other Oz act really. Still, good luck to them if they can fool enough of the people enough of the time.
Yeah that's right. INXS were never famous before Hutchence died.

This is a contender for "most incorrect statements in a post without mentioning football, politics or religion". And if that award doesn't exist then it should be created. For this.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Some of the replies in this have reminded me of this cartoon when people get snooty about music, or anything really:

e26.jpg

It's an argument I'd always have with my ex and her mates because I like basically anything from Will Young through to Dimmu Borgir by way of Philip Glass and Herbie Hancock but for that lot I was some sort of musical philistine because I hadn't proclaimed J Mascis as my Lord and Saviour.

Live and let live.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah that's right. INXS were never famous before Hutchence died.

That wasn't my point. My point was that INXS were fakes and Foo Fighters are fakes, in exactly the same way that, say, Suede are fakes. Same strand of hollow bombastic festival rock that in an ideal world would never have made it beyond the pub circuit. Rock By Numbers.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
That wasn't my point. My point was that INXS were fakes and Foo Fighters are fakes, in exactly the same way that, say, Suede are fakes. Same strand of hollow bombastic festival rock that in an ideal world would never have made it beyond the pub circuit. Rock By Numbers.
Well you didn't make that point very well then.

Oh and you're still wrong btw. They're fake what? Put a better way "...Stan, why are you so mad?".

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Look, I'm genuinely sorry if you're heavily invested in Fake Generic Rock Inc. or something :shrug:

Whats the difference between Fake Generic Rock and Real Generic Rock? Perhaps an example of a Real Generic Rock band would be good?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Look, I'm genuinely sorry if you're heavily invested in Fake Generic Rock Inc. or something :shrug:
No I just don't get angry about music that other people like listening to.

Apart from Franz Ferdinand.... and The 1975... oh and Jamie Cullum and Adele, definitely her. Apart from them. Mostly.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

How can music written by the band performing it be fake? Not to your taste sure, but fake?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here