Floodlights

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Feb 11, 2007
Brighton
I was surprised at the lack of announcements on the failure of the floodlights yesterday. It took 15 minutes for something to be said, which started out with "Ummm, ..." There appears to be nothing on the website either. Perhaps some sort of explanation might be good from their point of view, if only to keep their customers informed of what went on and that it won't happen again. The Sunday papers seems to be making a lot of it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The floodlights failed due to a local supply issue and I thought the announcement were pretty good advising things would get back to normal shortly as opposed to will Mr Carrow..............

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
"The stadium is still fantastic" :lol:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Guarantee it won't happen again ? How can they do that?

Most people knew those kind of lights would take a period to cool down before needing time to turn back on. No big deal, it happens! I must say it took the police box lot ages to notice

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I was surprised at the lack of announcements on the failure of the floodlights yesterday. It took 15 minutes for something to be said, which started out with "Ummm, ..." There appears to be nothing on the website either. Perhaps some sort of explanation might be good from their point of view, if only to keep their customers informed of what went on and that it won't happen again. The Sunday papers seems to be making a lot of it.

What happened with the floodlights is very simply this. Due to an interruption with the supply ie. small power cut, the floodlights go out.
They cannot re strike without cooling first as the ones fitted at the Amex are not hot re strike. If the switch to turn them on is left on during their cooling period then they will continue to try and strike up but won't be able to until they cool sufficiently. You would have noticed that the lamps came on sporadically after a period of cooling, this is because the switch was left on. Once the floods went off, it's easier to turn the switch of and wait, then switch back on after cooling. This way it looks more professional when they all come back at the same time.
It wasn't a floodlight failure just a standard power cut. These things happen but the lights were never not going to come back on.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
The floodlights failed due to a local supply issue and I thought the announcement were pretty good advising things would get back to normal shortly as opposed to will Mr Carrow..............

I was half expecting a Mr Carrow announcement

Feb 11, 2007
Brighton
Thought I'd ask that's all. Changing a plug is as far as I will go, so I am just a dim wit. And yes, the stadium is fantastic. It certainly beats standing at the Rainham End in 1997 - 1999.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
What happened with the floodlights is very simply this. Due to an interruption with the supply ie. small power cut, the floodlights go out.
They cannot re strike without cooling first as the ones fitted at the Amex are not hot re strike. If the switch to turn them on is left on during their cooling period then they will continue to try and strike up but won't be able to until they cool sufficiently. You would have noticed that the lamps came on sporadically after a period of cooling, this is because the switch was left on. Once the floods went off, it's easier to turn the switch of and wait, then switch back on after cooling. This way it looks more professional when they all come back at the same time.
It wasn't a floodlight failure just a standard power cut. These things happen but the lights were never not going to come back on.

Interesting and thanks for the heads up.

Oct 7, 2006
Eastbourne
I was half expecting a Mr Carrow announcement

That was a classic. Norwich away In the fa cup
Remember it taking an age to drive up because of the snow getting out of Sussex. Got to carrow road eventually and as the players were warming up the floodlights going and the guy on the p.a..... "Mr Carrow is in the ground"!!

Classic

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
"The stadium is still fantastic" :lol:

How I cringed when I heard that-imagine that being said against Palace at home instead of Birmingham-how they would have laughed.Albion legend, but don't let him within 100 meters of a microphone

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010

You want the club to promise a power cut will never happen again?

Nothing 'went on'.There was a Power cut and it took 20 mins to get lights up and running again. No further explanation needed

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

sunday papers making a lot of it because there was not much to say about the game

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports