Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flat planning permission

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
It is a material change, therefore you need planning permission. You will probably get permission if others have done it and the building is not listed or in a conservation area, but you do need it.

Robservations

Feb 1, 2015
So they were old timber frames replaced with uPVC. I do have a FENSA certificate. Conversation with the freeholder was only verbal, nothing in writing

Speaking as a planner who, until recently, worked for a local authority in Sussex - I'd advise you apply for retrospective planning permission if you've already replaced timber framed windows with UPVC. Permitted developments rights do not apply to flats, although windows could be replaced providing they are like-for-like replacements e.g. same design timber to timber or UPVC to UPVC. A change from timber to UPVC would materially alter the appearance of the flat and therefore need planning permission.

I should probably caveat this as what I would personally advise. Other planners at other local authorities may just shrug their shoulders and say it probably doesn't need planning permission.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Purpose built flat. 70s built and the original windows were still in when I replaced them.

Not in conversation area or anything. Not sure if I can check with any of my neighbours, most are rented out but I'll maybe ask the residents association

Or look up and see if any of the windows look newer than the original?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
6-8 weeks for retrospective planning, so think I might go down the indemnity route. I've asked my solicitor to comment, as according to my estate agent everything will go on hold until planning is in place, which could mean 12-16 weeks before we move which would not be ideal

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You haven't contacted the people from planning have you?

I did wonder if I might have done at some point, but I've got a friendly contact who confirms there is no record of me enquiring, or indeed any contact from my address ;-)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here