[Albion] Flares / Blue & White smoke when we score

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've no problem with these at all.

I remember my son's second away game which was the season opening away at Fulham in the season we nearly went up. Loads of Brighton outside two pubs alongside the Thames (maybe one called The Rocket?) and someone let one off down there and then there was a big song started. My boy and his mate were about 10 and joined in with the song and started jumping around in the blue smoky atmosphere.

At the end of the day if you luzz one you run the risk of getting banned but that's always been the case at away games. At a lot I went to back in the day you could get nicked for almost anything. The police just hated football fans. And many good and decent Brighton fans were banned by Archer and Bellotti.

If I have an issue at all it's when they change the course of the game, like the one the Nig31s lobbed when we had our penalty at home. We 100% missed that because of that smoke bomb. There should be a rule in the game that if a flare or light pen is used when a penalty is being taken then the ref has the discretion to move the kick to the other end and it still counts if it goes in and is instantly dead if saved,

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Yes, potentially police record to boot - great argument…..

It’s not about being miserable, it’s about what is the point, why take the risk. Maybe it is a generation thing, but given we’ve been successful for nigh on 10 years, it’s hardly about pulling in new ‘young’ supporters.

Well you are being a bit miserable. It's nothing to do with pulling in new young supporters; it's about lads who were 10 when their dad's took them to The Amex when it opened are now typical 20 year olds looking for a laugh. And frankly I think smoke bombs are great; it's a harmless way of making your mark on "enemy" territory...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Actually, the most disturbing thought is that, given our uselessness in front of goal, the feller could have had it up his hole for several weeks, with all the risk of deterioration and accidental discharge that come with such a situation.

"Jaydon, there's blue smoke coming from the Kermit, have you been at the out of date WKD again?"

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I like them. And fair play to those prepared to run the risk. In my younger days I was a smoke-bomb-luzzer on a couple of occasions (last game at the Goldstone, then away at Hereford), and I’m glad I did.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Love them but word to the luzzers, keep up the good throwing. On the pitch they are great. In the back of someone’s hoodie not so much.

But it’s a yes from me.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I like them. And fair play to those prepared to run the risk. In my younger days I was a smoke-bomb-luzzer on a couple of occasions (last game at the Goldstone, then away at Hereford), and I’m glad I did.

It was, quite literally 'rocket science' in the good old days :rolleyes:

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Over here, they're used a lot and it can be really spectacular.

Here's the team I support here, AEL Limassol in Belgrade a few years back, flares kick in about 6:10

Some years ago I want to an AEL Limassol game when on holiday in Cyprus. Only a small crowd compared to the Amex but they certainly made some noise and chucked a lot of flares/smoke bombs. I don't recall anyone having first aid or screaming for a policeman. These are also very different to the rocket flare that killed the bloke in Cardiff a few years back but somehow the authorities in England like to bracket them all the same. I personally wouldn't let one off but equally wouldn't be there tutting at someone who did unless they let it off right next to me

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
Except that’s not entirely true, someone had to be given first aid by sounds of (as has happened at other grounds, hence why they’re banned).

... and that's not exactly true either.

In an earlier post someone claimed that someone near them appeared to have breathing difficulties. We don't know if that person had breathing difficulties (or some other complaint), we don't know if that person had medical assistance and we don't know if that was in anyway related to a smoke bomb.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

In an earlier post someone claimed that someone near them appeared to have breathing difficulties. We don't know if that person had breathing difficulties (or some other complaint), we don't know if that person had medical assistance and we don't know if that was in anyway related to a smoke bomb.

It’s more likely, whilst also being true that lots people can be badly affected by. Hence why banned.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Some years ago I want to an AEL Limassol game when on holiday in Cyprus. Only a small crowd compared to the Amex but they certainly made some noise and chucked a lot of flares/smoke bombs. I don't recall anyone having first aid or screaming for a policeman. These are also very different to the rocket flare that killed the bloke in Cardiff a few years back but somehow the authorities in England like to bracket them all the same. I personally wouldn't let one off but equally wouldn't be there tutting at someone who did unless they let it off right next to me

The simple truth is there are probably still too many idiots at football matches to trust that no one will be hurt in some way. Christ almighty, it’s not even a year since Wembley shame. Are memories that short? You can’t trust English football fans with beer, pyrotechnics, flag poles, bottle tops, to stay off the pitch…it’s a pretty long list and that’s why smoke bombs are also banned. Thin end of the wedge if allowed. Completely understand why Clubs don’t allow, they’d be held to account if someone did get hurt or killed like that bloke in Cardiff. First line of defence is always “I didn’t mean it” but tell that to the victims family. Nothing to stop people luzzing paper confetti on mass like they do in Europe and waving flags, beating drums etc without the fireworks. But we don’t do we? Our culture isn’t nor has ever been that. Have to admit thought it was pretty funny when England fans section refused to join in with Mexican waves couple world cups ago. Steadfast refused and sang you can stick yer poxy wave up yer…! Very Millwall like, but on an Int. Scale! :)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Just to be clear, it was not a claim, it was FACT.

What we don’t know is whether it was linked to a pre-existing condition, excitement of the goal or the smoke. What I do know is the treatment went on for a significant period, and commenced just after the goal.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
So many sensitive people on this thread - no wonder Amex is a morgue at times, especially the West where I'm guessing some of you moaners sit.

If someone wants to take the risk of a banning because they take in a flare and light it, chuck it, then that's on them.

No problem from me whatsoever.

Have you watched football abroad and experienced the amazing light shows fans put on? They are incredible to witness and ADD to the atmosphere. And I don't mean in a 'Das Reich' hooligan sense.

Anyway. This is a football board of opinions. Some differ to mine, some are the same. Whatever.

The displays abroad are probably another reason not to do here. Ours would be embarrassing by comparison. Lob a smoke bomb on the pitch, hardly the same is it. We don’t even have one big flag at the Albion. One. Never mind scores. So much for the fanatical yoof organising stuff, they’ve had five years to come up with a single big flag and absolutely nothing but the odd St Georges dotted around the stands. Hardly Anfield’s Kop are we?! Or the Yellow Wall? Perhaps we should look to improve what’s legally permitted before going all Jean Michel Jarre eh?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here