Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flags

How is it that when anyone else flies their national flag at football matches it's 'patriotism' and support for 'their country'.
But when the St Georges Cross is flown it 'smacks of jingoism' and 'has worrying connotations of the far right'.

Sorry, have I missed something? The BNP and other 'far right' groups hijacked the Union Jack back in the 70s / 80s and let's face it, the Scots and the Welsh wouldn't be seen dead flying the Union Jack !
So when we realised that the English were the only ones who considered themselves 'British' we absolutely correctly gave up the UJ at these sporting events and started flying OUR flag, the good old red and white (can we persuade the FA to ditch the blue shorts in favour of red ones - perhaps our next 'crusade' [no offence] when we get Falmer). Why shouldn't we be proud to be English? It doesn't make us intolerant or bigoted - in fact I'm one of the most tolerant people I know !!

...and relax....

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
...and why can't we have English passports?

...and why do the Scots have their own banknotes?

...any more????

MRRF 10

why do the English pay taxes that also go to wales and scotland, when we don't get any of there taxes? Hence they have better facilities etc....

if they want there own governments they can set there own taxes, without any help from us

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I like the idea of red shorts, but wouldn't we then get confused with Poland?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Coach - I agree with you, it is a sad state of affairs when you cannot even wave your national flag with pride.

This will drive you mad - At my local pub they did not show any England matches, in fact I was turned away from there a few weeks ago as I had an England Tshirt on. I was told it was not in-line with the customers they attract !

Now unbelievably THEY DO show all the other non england matches upstairs in the bar and allow non England shirts to be worn. :nono:

PC gone absolutely FUCKIN crazy :nono:

Jameson

I think we should stick to the red shirts and white shorts as per 1966.

I think it's absolutely amazing that at the games in Portugal there were so many English flags around the ground - every part of the country was represented. Trouble is, you have to get there about 3 hours before kick off to get your flag in a good place!!:clap2:

By the way, anyone know why it is that hardly any premiership clubs were represented on the flags? Are all England fans from the Nationwide?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Seems like the fans are from everywhere apart from the Premiership, can honestly say that the only top division flags I saw were Everton, Fulham (at a Dutch game), Pompey and Charlton, that's not many is it. Perhaps its just that the prawn cocktail sandwich brigade aren't interested in the England team or foreign travel or not clever enough to stitch a few letters to display their allegiance on a St George's Cross.

Jameson

Gully said:
Seems like the fans are from everywhere apart from the Premiership, can honestly say that the only top division flags I saw were Everton, Fulham (at a Dutch game), Pompey and Charlton, that's not many is it. Perhaps its just that the prawn cocktail sandwich brigade aren't interested in the England team or foreign travel or not clever enough to stitch a few letters to display their allegiance on a St George's Cross.

Yep - agree with that. I saw Leicester too. I think there were quite a few Charlton and Portsmouth people there. But they are (like us I guess) a community club with localised support which sets them apart from the average prawn sandwich premiership fan.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I thought we had got over this now. I haven't heard anyone criticise the use of the flag in a long time.

Anyone got any examples?

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I know this is slightlly off the subject of flags,but a good few years ago a band called "The Angelic Upstarts" done a record called "England My England" and it was banned for being to patriotic!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
coach03 said:
How is it that when anyone else flies their national flag at football matches it's 'patriotism' and support for 'their country'.
But when the St Georges Cross is flown it 'smacks of jingoism' and 'has worrying connotations of the far right'.

Sorry, have I missed something?

Yes, you have missed something. Euro 2004, it would appear.

You might not have noticed, but the country at large appears to have reclaimed the St George's Cross from the low IQ in-breds of the far right and given it back to the people via ordinary folks flying flags from houses and cars, and little kids and fit women wearing a hundred variations on the kit, the face paint, the daft St.Patrick's Day style givaways in papers and pubs. All of which is to be applauded. Which I will now do. :clap:

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
I must admit I never knew the St George Cross was hijacked by the right wing extremists...I knew the Union Flag was adopted by certain organisations but, to my knowledge, the St George Cross was not.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here