Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fixture pile up, Lower leagues...

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Just been reading this, If Maidstone finish top, they can then apply to the conference south to play in the league with a 4G pitch, however you cannot apply to the league until you are promoted! So I guess they would need to vote at the end of the season. Hopefully sense will previal, how can teams in the champions league be playing on these pitches, but it deemed not good enough for the 6th tier of English football?

Dont get me wrong, where possible games should be played on grass, but with the weather in this country it would surely benefit most teams in league 2 and some in league 1 to install these pitches, the FA are dinosaurs and really need to look at the technology in these pitches and how they will only continue to improve in years to come.

It looks as if Lewes are also considering the option of an 4G pitch.

yes i heard from a couple of coaches that are moving clubs and going to lewes because for one of the reasons,lewes are gettring 4g,its the way forward for a lot of academys

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I remember the first couple of seasons at Withdean it was always a bit touch or go as to whether a game would go ahead if there was a bit of rain. The club spent something like £150k on sorting the drainage and we never had a problem again.

That would be a lot of money to spend for a non-league club.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I remember the first couple of seasons at Withdean it was always a bit touch or go as to whether a game would go ahead if there was a bit of rain. The club spent something like £150k on sorting the drainage and we never had a problem again.

The good old days - Gary Hart sliding around in a mud bath and ball boys with towels to wipe the ball for Albion throws but rolling the ball in a muddy puddle for an opponents throw. That was proper home advantage !

The Stout Yeoman

Master Farter
Aug 14, 2003
59 Le Petomane Boulevard

Have heard talk of Crawley temporarily locating to Withdean .....

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

I think Maidstones pitch cost £300,000 to lay, however these pitches can be used 365 days a year, they can be rented out to schools, local football teams etc, which would surely give the club a lot more income than it does now. investing into a normal pitch for a non-league club would seem pointless as they are not going to want to churn up the pitch allowing others to use it.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
We have a 3G pitch where I work and we have so many requests that we could have 3 of them and still turn people away. They would easily pay for themselves over a reasonably short amount of time.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
200k gets you a 3 g pitch,many clubs just cant raise that sort of money,even though you could book it 7 days a week 365 days of the year,wouldnt take you that long to pay it off

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here