Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Fixture congestion

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Pleased that the season is going so well but was wondering about the pile up of fixtures we're going to have, especially in the likely event of us getting past Grimsby and to the Semi's of the FA Cup.

Newcastle away is still to be arranged, our Man Utd home game (scheduled for the Quarter final date) now to be re-arranged, and in all likelihood the Man City home game on 23rd April (Semi's weekend) will also need to be rescheduled especially as City are likely to be in the Semi's as well.

April is already wedged with 7 fixtures, so it could be that the above 3 need to be crammed into May giving us a final month of another 7 fixtures, not withstanding City's and Utd's scheduling of the latter part of their Euro campaigns.

When are these all going to get played? March seems out as even at the end of the month their is an international break too.

Last edited:

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
With the United game, if United get to Europa final, I don't think there will be a midweek for it to be re arranged to.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Yep it's going to hurt us for sure. You can already see from our bench last few games that the squad is wafer thin beyond the first 14 players. It really was a big mistake to not bring in a couple of experienced heads during the last transfer window. I expect the club will learn and address this for future years.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I wrote on another thread....Just looking at the fixture calendar, assuming Man City and Man Utd both reach the quarter finals of the CL and EL respectively, I think it's impossible to play either team in April. European dates are 11/12/13 and 18/19/20 April. The only other free date that either have in April is the 4th/5th (Man City not playing)....but we play Bournemouth that day. [Incidentally, it looks like Man Utd will have NINE games in April!!]

So, my guess is that the United and City home games will be in May - most probably one on 2nd May, and one on 23rd May - as the other midweek dates in May are European dates, and there's a pretty high probability (I would think) that either or both of them will get to the Semis. So - I think this leaves the Newcastle away game to be either 12th or 19th April.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hopefully some of the injured players will be fixed by May...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Hopefully some of the injured players will be fixed by May...
I don’t think Lallana was confirmed as out for season - only the post on here annoyingly claimed that. Reports suggested could be out for season. So that could be a nice surprise…!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's the EPL that are pissing about, they are the ones that need to rearrange the fixtures. Can't understand why they haven't done anything about Newcastle when they new immediately after the EFL Cup semis that it needed to be organized.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
It's no different to the days in the Championship / EFL.
I'm sure the player's would rather play than train.
I'm more worried about getting the time off work for the midweek away games.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Pleased that the season is going so well but was wondering about the pile up of fixtures we're going to have, especially in the likely event of us getting past Grimsby and to the Semi's of the FA Cup.

Newcastle away is still to be arranged, our Man Utd home game (scheduled for the Quarter final date) now to be re-arranged, and in all likelihood the Man City home game on 23rd March (Semi's weekend) will also need to be rescheduled especially as City are likely to be in the Semi's as well.

April is already wedged with 7 fixtures, so it could be that the above 3 need to be crammed into May giving us a final month of another 7 fixtures, not withstanding City's and Utd's scheduling of the latter part of their Euro campaigns.

When are these all going to get played? March seems out as even at the end of the month their is an international break too.
Do you mean April 23rd for the Man City home game / semi-final weekend?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Time to
Yep it's going to hurt us for sure. You can already see from our bench last few games that the squad is wafer thin beyond the first 14 players. It really was a big mistake to not bring in a couple of experienced heads during the last transfer window. I expect the club will learn and address this for future years.
Welcome to the big boys' league.

If only we had 31 internationals, all of whom are game-ready and proud to wear the shirt (if selected), like . . . . . Chelsea have.

Ees complicated, no?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It is a joke that we haven't been able to sort out some of our back log in previous weeks and is gonna bite us on the backside.
Why will it bite us on the backside? I remember numerous people complaining about those 8 games in a month when we got promoted…..

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
28C882E2-D4E1-4208-99BD-BFDA0C6CDBC8.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here