Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Five players released

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
Albion ready to hit the market

by Brian Owen

Dick Knight today backed Albion's youngsters to help challenge for promotion after clearing the decks for summer signings.

The Seagulls will not be offering new deals to Jason Dodd, Alexis Nicolas, Mark McCammon and Chris McPhee, all of whom were out of contract, and have released Federico Turienzo by mutual consent.

Guy Butters, Charlie Oatway, Richard Carpenter and Gary Hart have all accepted new one-year deals and will be expected to offer valuable guidance to Albion's youngsters.

Kerry Mayo, currently looking forward to his testimonial, has also been offered another year and will reveal his decision when he returns from holiday.

Knight and boss Mark McGhee will now work on their wanted list, which includes at least two strikers, as they prepare for life in League One.

Burnley striker Gifton Noel-Williams, who had a loan spell at Withdean last season, is one of the men who could be heading south.

The Albion chairman said: "We are excited about the prospects for next season.

"We have promising young players and we expect them to develop next year.

"With Dean Wilkins added to the coaching team, that will bring another dimension.

"I'm pragmatic, I don't make rash predictions, but I think we will be challenging at the right end of the table.

"That's a reasonable prediction given the quality of of the squad we have."

Albion will lose almost £1m in revenue after being relegated from the Championship last season.

But Knight insists they have funds to bring in new faces.

He said: "These decisions will give us flexibility within the budget and we are looking to bring in more quality to the squad to add to the young talent and experienced players we already have.

"We have made no decision on strikers. We have a number of options and we have made no fixed decisions.

"Gifton Noel-williams is one of our options.

"We are looking for more than one striker and other key positions."

McGhee added: "We feel that those who have been retained give us a balance between experience and youth but still leaves us enough opportunity to strengthen the squad, which we will be redoubling our efforts to do."

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
Great news for Race. I would have offered Alexis something and would love to know what the Turienzo payoff was. Apart from that no arguments here. On the whole Chippy debate I hope he gets the op/treatment on the injury he has been carrying so we can see the best of him at some point next season.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
A shame about Nicolas although I suspect we offered him something. Bold move to pay off Turienzo. A shame Doddsy didnt work out, he looked like a top signing a year ago.

John Boy

Paul McShane
Aug 15, 2004
'ove actually
Jason Dodd- Would of liked him to have pay as you play deal

Alexis Nicolas- Should of been given a contract, more than capable of doing a job in league 1

Mark McCammon- We know he can score in league 1 (Bristol City) but as he has fallen out with Mark McGhee, I'm not surprised with him not being offered a deal. If he hadn't fallen out with Mark McGhee, I think a 3 month contract would of been good, to see if he was up for it. Hes a targetman, and if we don't get GNW, we will need him

Chris McPhee- Knew this was coming, shame Swindon have got a new manager, hope it works out ok for him

Federico Turienzo- What a waste of money... who knows how good he would of been in league 1?

Last edited:

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
While predictable I think we've released the better players! Magoos sticking with the old guard so at least we might have decent team spirit again. El Turi looks to be going to Italy. Brave decision to cut our losses but what a disaster. DK and MM would get less stick over the deal by leaving him in the reserves for a year. 2 strikers and a left back please.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here