Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Five or Six More Players...

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Slade is after another 5 or 6 players according to Argus today...(have to say that I thought it would be more like 3 or 4 - should give us great strength in depth though)

Crofts in - and more to come

7:30am Tuesday 30th June 2009
By Brian Owen »

Russell Slade has set his sights on up to six more players after making Andrew Crofts his fourth signing of the summer, The Chatham-born 25-year-old has agreed to join as a free agent on a two-year deal after making 162 League starts for Gillingham.

He will complete his move today before joining his new colleagues in their first pre-season training session.

Crofts joins Gary Dicker, James Tunnicliffe and Mark Wright as new additions to Slade’s squad but he admits the business is far from over.

The Albion boss said: “We’re making progress but I still think we need five or six more players. There is no time scale. We’ll do it as and when the right ones become available.”

Crofts captained Gillingham for a while but was sent for loan spells at Peterborough and Wrexham last season. He has won 12 caps for Wales.

Withdean regulars might remember him scoring twice for Gillingham in an eventful 5-2 defeat at the stadium two seasons ago, including a terrific 30-yard volley past Michel Kuipers.

Slade believes the new boy will have a lot to offer his squad. He added: “He’s an international player so that’s not bad for a start.

“He’s got good pedigree and was an important player for a good Gillingham team at the time. He can sit in for you defensively or he can get forward. He has got a good work ethic. I’m pleased to get him.”

Crofts’ first senior goal was in a 2-1 Boxing Day defeat in the Championship in 2004-05.

jharris

Feb 27, 2009
Great 5-6 eh ?
1)Goalie
2)Left Back ?
3)Midfielder
4)Winger
5)Striker
6)and maybe another Striker if Murray goes ?

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Great 5-6 eh ?
1)Goalie
2)Left Back ?
3)Midfielder
4)Winger
5)Striker
6)and maybe another Striker if Murray goes ?

You're right - 2 of them may well be in place of Lynch and Murray

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It is so hard not to get carried away on a wave of optimism.............................again

How I love being a football fan :albion2::albion2::albion2:

Nov 25, 2008
Block (H)ated
:clap: i'm trying to stay grumpy about the new season but its difficult

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
This is what I like about Slade is he seems to see it how we see it.
It's obvious that at the moment we are near to getting a good 1st 11 but beyond that we are still woefull. I suspect we still have our biggest signing to come but this news is encouraging

A classy midfielder and a proven L1 goalscorer would be the minimum if we are serious about going up

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
This is what I like about Slade is he seems to see it how we see it.
It's obvious that at the moment we are near to getting a good 1st 11 but beyond that we are still woefull. I suspect we still have our biggest signing to come but this news is encouraging

A classy midfielder and a proven L1 goalscorer would be the minimum if we are serious about going up

Agreed, but at the same time we MASSIVELY under achieved last season and should have done much better. Slade showed that when he turned the team around. He knows what he is doing.

My only concern, which is only a personal one, I had this same optimism last season when Adams came back. we got loads of new faces in and then failed terribly. But I have faith in Slade as at least he proved he can deliver!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here