Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fishing Experience

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
I've often thought about going fishing for the first time in my life (atleast for 18+ years - not sure if I was ever taken fishing in my youth). However, I have days where I think it would be flippin' brilliant, and then I have days where I think it's a daft idea.

I was walking along the Marina yesterday and saw a sign for boat fishing out in the great ocean, 90 minutes for £15 (+£1 for rod hire...) with a company called Water Tours. It made my mind up that I'd like to go.

My question to the NSC fishing guru's out there, is, am I going to find somewhere better to go for my first experience? I don't drive, so can't travel to no far lakes, etc. Would need to be around the Brighton area. Doesn't have to be sea fishing, as long as I will have a high chance of catching at least something!

Anyone used Water Tours? Are they good, and more to the point, do they (sorta) teach you how to fish, or is it not really for beginners?

Cheers.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
In my experience:

Boat fishing (sea) = hold rod, wind reel, kill fish, eat fish

Shore fishing (sea) = try to cast, watch rod, go home via fish and chip shop

Course fishing (lakes, rivers, etc) = buy a garage load of expensive gear and wish you had the time to use it

cheers

All three beat work mind you. :ascarf:

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Going sea fishing on Sunday at Kingmere Rocks which is about 5 miles south east of Littlehampton
Bream, bass,spurdog will all be on the radar,i will post photos on this thread if i catch anything decent.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I've often thought about going fishing for the first time in my life (atleast for 18+ years - not sure if I was ever taken fishing in my youth). However, I have days where I think it would be flippin' brilliant, and then I have days where I think it's a daft idea.

I was walking along the Marina yesterday and saw a sign for boat fishing out in the great ocean, 90 minutes for £15 (+£1 for rod hire...) with a company called Water Tours. It made my mind up that I'd like to go.

My question to the NSC fishing guru's out there, is, am I going to find somewhere better to go for my first experience? I don't drive, so can't travel to no far lakes, etc. Would need to be around the Brighton area. Doesn't have to be sea fishing, as long as I will have a high chance of catching at least something!

Anyone used Water Tours? Are they good, and more to the point, do they (sorta) teach you how to fish, or is it not really for beginners?

Cheers.

I've seen the trips your on about and tbh it's a bit of a rip off really, You'll only end up with about 45 mins fishing and all they do is give you a rod with a few feathers on so you can catch a few mackeral. It's more of a tourist attraction than a proper fishing trip.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
I've seen the trips your on about and tbh it's a bit of a rip off really, You'll only end up with about 45 mins fishing and all they do is give you a rod with a few feathers on so you can catch a few mackeral. It's more of a tourist attraction than a proper fishing trip.

True statement;
Just get a basic rod and reel with some feathers and you can catch Mackerel from the marina,Newhaven Arm,Shoreham Arm ,Worthing Pier etc.
For best results make sure the sun is shining.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009

Cheers for the advice. I've just done a bit of searching and found there's quite a lot of different companies down there (who would have thought it!), but most seem to do 8/9 hour trips for like £50. Which makes the £15 for 90 minutes look pricey, but, for my first go, I'm thinking 8 hours might be a bit long...

You been with anyone down the Marina?

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Perhaps for a first go, a "tourist attraction" might not be a bad idea? Would show me if I like it or not I guess. And if I'm bound to catch some "mackerel", even better. I'd just want to catch something!

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Cheers for the advice. I've just done a bit of searching and found there's quite a lot of different companies down there (who would have thought it!), but most seem to do 8/9 hour trips for like £50. Which makes the £15 for 90 minutes look pricey, but, for my first go, I'm thinking 8 hours might be a bit long...

The cost can vary quite a bit;a lot depends on whether your wreck or ground fishing.If you go ground fishing the skipper will find a spot,anchor up and switch off the engine which obviously uses less fuel.
Where as wreck fishing is usually a liitle more expensive.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

I've never been out in a boat from the marina but I've fished the marina walls loads of times, As wigman say's all you need is a basic rod & reel a few sets of feathers and some weights and you can catch loads of mackeral from the marina walls. Next time your down the marina pop in the tackle shop just across the road from McDonalds and the guys in there will give you planty of advice on how to start up fishing and they might even be able to recommend a decent skipper that does shorter trips.

Glees

The Boobie Watcher
Feb 20, 2009
Lucy Pinders Left Nipple
Ive been on the water tours at the Marina ... They are great , the first time i went there was 8 of us that went and we caught 80 macrel between us . Definatly Reccomend it :thumbsup:

BN1SEAGULL

Feb 25, 2007
As already stated really - the water tours are more of a tourist attraction - 45 mins out in the boat towards the pier and back - they give you the rod already set up and you just chuck it over the side and wind in - can catch plenty of mackerel though. ive done it plenty of times before when pushed for time and needed some mackerel for the barbie , and it might give you a heads up as to whether you have any sea legs.
The charter boats down the marina vary in price - generally you would book a party for 5+ and split the costs - it depends what type of fishing you do - and more importantly how much diesel the skipper uses, although if you ring them they will put you down to go out with others who are lacking in numbers - they can also provide road and reel to see if its for you before you spent a fortune.
Alternative is to pop into the tackle box in the marina - think you can even hire a rod and reel by the hour - onto the short arm with some feathers and give it a try - i was down there today float fishing for mackerel - good fun.
The other option is to check this guys website Welcome to Fishyrob - a local fisherman who does 'guiding' sessions - great fisherman and will show you all you need to know - as well as catch you some awesome fish.
Good luck and hope you enjoy it.

Last edited:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
My experience of fishing:

Sandgate park pond in Storrington - caught loads of little carp, they were throwing themselves at the hook, threw them all back in.
Thailand - Sea fishing in Ang Thong marine park, didn't catch anything but did get my line tangled up with that belonging to a bloke fishing from the other side of the boat...not impressed.
Canada - Ice fishing, caught one fish that was about 4-5 ins long, cut it up to use as bait to try and catch some larger fish (which I didn't), the temperature was about -20C and I literally froze my nuts off.
Bolivia - River fishing, managed to hook about a half dozen pirhana, which we cooked for our tea (small but tasty).

Can't say that I am a keen fisherman, have only done it because there was a chance to catch something to eat...wouldn't mind a go at fly fishing though!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I spent most of my childhood weekends fishing off the marina (walls) with my Grandad, get a rod, reel and a set of feathers (or two) and you'll have a great day out. Are Jack Ball and Ted Allgate still around?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here