Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fish and Chips

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sorry to bounce an old thread but before the QPR game I have to eat with brother in law I like fish and chips he doesnt like batter so goes for fish cakes or pie. Am considering Bankers or Bardsleys for convenience for bus to The Amex which is best in terms of food and VFM. Or any other suggestions near Churchill Sq or St Peters church

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We always go to Bankers when on vacation back home.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Sorry to bounce an old thread but before the QPR game I have to eat with brother in law I like fish and chips he doesnt like batter so goes for fish cakes or pie. Am considering Bankers or Bardsleys for convenience for bus to The Amex which is best in terms of food and VFM. Or any other suggestions near Churchill Sq or St Peters church

Form Bardsleys you can get a 25 from the end of road to the Amex

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Form Bardsleys you can get a 25 from the end of road to the Amex
That is what I thought but Bankers is only a short walk to Churchill Sq for the same bus, alyhough it ptobably passes the door. My concern is more to do with the quality and able to sit down and most reviews on Bankers say take away is great but sit down not so. Hence the reason for asking on here for opinions as NSC covers a wide spectrum of people and tastes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That is what I thought but Bankers is only a short walk to Churchill Sq for the same bus, alyhough it ptobably passes the door. My concern is more to do with the quality and able to sit down and most reviews on Bankers say take away is great but sit down not so. Hence the reason for asking on here for opinions as NSC covers a wide spectrum of people and tastes.

I heard Bankers was now owned by the same people who bought and ruined The Chip Basket. Is this true?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Have to say that Bankers and Bardsleys are the best I've had in Brighton. Not that I've tried all chippies. But they're just both plain proper. As I live near Bardsleys, that's the one I'm most familiar with. My dad (81) likes it so much that he organises his trips to Brighton around it, rather than his grandson.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
I ate at Bankers and found their chips lacked taste probably cooked in vegetable oil and not beef fat.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I ate at Bankers and found their chips lacked taste probably cooked in vegetable oil and not beef fat.
I would guess that is so they can offer vegetarian food along with the fish.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Ate at Bardsleys on a Saturday lunchtime a few weeks back. Booked a table for 1pm but had plenty of seats. As terrific as ever.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Cast your minds back to the Goldstone days guys ... There used to be a small takeaway only fish & chip shop on Sackville Road, next to the Hove Park Tavern, and opposite what used to be Caffyn's. Is it still there? They used to do mega Spam fritters. I have no need to visit that part of town anymore. Probably long gone now.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Cast your minds back to the Goldstone days guys ... There used to be a small takeaway only fish & chip shop on Sackville Road, next to the Hove Park Tavern, and opposite what used to be Caffyn's. Is it still there? They used to do mega Spam fritters. I have no need to visit that part of town anymore. Probably long gone now.

Aphrodite's - used to go there for a quick fill up before evening games at the Goldstone. Fine, apart from the England B international, when they had so many customers they were selling undercooked chips. Yes, it's gone - I think there is an Indian or Chinese there now. Bardsley's is my favourite in Brighton, but I'd like to give a mention to Jupp's in Burgess Hill. I've been there on a number of occasions and never been disappointed. Portions are huge too.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Early 70s Saturday Night at the Dog stadium and then chips from there on the way home when we were too young to get served in town. (The bar at the A&L side of the Dogs would serve ANYONE !)

Oh and Bankers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here