Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] First Time in Japan. Tips?

Derbyshire Seagull

Oct 21, 2005
Incredible country. I’ve never visited somewhere so respectful, efficient, and clean.

For Kyoto, I enjoyed Arashiyama and it was short 15 min train journey from the center https://www.insidekyoto.com/arashiyama-bamboo-grove. There’s also a cute town and different temples so you can spend a full day.

Definitely stay at a Ryokan (traditional hotel) if you get the chance https://www.insidekyoto.com/kyoto-ryokan

I’ve heard Nara is worth visiting and close to Kyoto (I didn’t get a chance but it looked great)

I was tight on time so skipped Mt Fuji, but you get an incredible view of it on the bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto.

A different direction, but also recommend visiting the snow monkeys: https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6028.html

Enjoy!
Thanks so much. I'll go through those links as I'm waiting in airport now. I had read about Nara but will investigate more. Much appreciated 👍

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Stay well away from @Garry Nelson's Left Foot and you'll be fine...
Funny you should say that as I live very close to Asakusa and can be seen stomping around the local streets muttering about how tourists are ruining the place and my foreign vibes.:mad:

@Derbyshire Seagull if you want any Tokyo advice let me know. Outside of Tokyo you 100% should go to Hiroshima. I'd say it's essential for anyone who comes to japan for more than a few days. As someone else mentioned it's pretty powerful.

Jan 31, 2009
We were In Japan for 3 weeks in November. For Tokyo, visit at least two of the city parks, book a trip up Tokyo Skytree, visit Team Lab art exhibition and eat sushi at one of the small restaurants at the old fish market. A hop-on hop-off bus is also worthwhile. You can also organize a day trip to Fuji. For Kyoto, wander around Gion, bamboo forest and Inari temple. A day trip by train to Nara to see the deer temple is also easy to do from here. Highly recommend staying at an onsen hotel and spending a night or two in or around Hakone. We spent 5 days on Ishigaki island but that’s only worthwhile if the weather is hot and there are no jellyfish.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I lived in Tokyo for a year and we spent time in Kyoto before we left. Both are brilliant.

I can’t remember how we booked it but we did a morning in a Sumo stable which was fascinating. If you like food then Tsujiki fish market is a must. Go early.

Kyoto has some incredible architecture and the Golden Temple was our favourite. A walk round Gion, the geisha district is a must. We did a tour with a Canadian ex pat called Peter Macintosh. Sadly the latest review I can see of his tour is 2014, so looks like he stopped, but even going on your own would be interesting.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Obvious one but take a day trip to Mt Fuji, our one was a coach trip out to a lake where you get a boat out and the view of the mountain is incredible. then the coach takes you half way up mt Fuji, then lunch and a visit on cable car to another smoldering volcano, then back on the bullet train. Fantastic day out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I lived in Tokyo for a year and we spent time in Kyoto before we left. Both are brilliant.

I can’t remember how we booked it but we did a morning in a Sumo stable which was fascinating. If you like food then Tsujiki fish market is a must. Go early.

Kyoto has some incredible architecture and the Golden Temple was our favourite. A walk round Gion, the geisha district is a must. We did a tour with a Canadian ex pat called Peter Macintosh. Sadly the latest review I can see of his tour is 2014, so looks like he stopped, but even going on your own would be interesting.
I think the fish market has moved to a new modern facility. The old one was superb, really really superb. Did you get in to the part where they do the tuna auctions? They only let about 20 people in at a time and I was lucky.

The workers cafes at the market are excellent. I like the idea they just have a rice cooker and don’t have any refrigeration; they obviously get the fish fresh from just outside their door.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We were In Japan for 3 weeks in November. For Tokyo, visit at least two of the city parks, book a trip up Tokyo Skytree, visit Team Lab art exhibition and eat sushi at one of the small restaurants at the old fish market. A hop-on hop-off bus is also worthwhile. You can also organize a day trip to Fuji. For Kyoto, wander around Gion, bamboo forest and Inari temple. A day trip by train to Nara to see the deer temple is also easy to do from here. Highly recommend staying at an onsen hotel and spending a night or two in or around Hakone. We spent 5 days on Ishigaki island but that’s only worthwhile if the weather is hot and there are no jellyfish.
Bamboo forest is a good shout. I also really got into moss gardens whilst I was there. Well worth checking some out. Beautiful, peaceful and kind of mystic.

Last edited:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
We left early December on trip of a lifetime. Had 3 months in Australia, 7 weeks in New Zealand and just at end of a week in Fiji.

Flying out to Tokyo today so time to move out of the comfort zone! Have 6:days in Tokyo (Asakusa), then 4 in Kyoto and 4 in Osaka. It's first time in Japan so any tips would be appreciated.

I'll have to see if I can catch Bournemouth game as Man city one will be 4 am local time. I have my Albion t shirts and hoping that mentioning Mitoma will help us if we get stuck,

Cheers in advance.........
Osaka is a lot of fun, great city, but 4 days seems quite a lot. If you are using it to also hit Nara and Kobe, then 4 days is probably fine though. I really enjoyed the retro feel around Tsutentaku Tower. Loads of little hole in the wall bars, morning set (Beer and boiled egg) for under 500yen. Yum. https://maps.app.goo.gl/c2VH2FRfrfzZwUn68

But, come to Hiroshima. As said, do the museum and park in the morning, and go to Miyajima for the afternoon/early evening. And if you have time, hit Mitaki Temple. As beautiful (if not more so) than anywhere in Kyoto, with a fraction of the crowds. https://gethiroshima.com/museums-attractions/mitaki-temple/
Have fun!

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
oh and a bit niche this, but if for some reason you visit Odaiba when you are in Tokyo and you fancy a haunted house, can you give this a go and let me know if it really is as terrifying as I found it when I went, many years ago. https://obakeland.net/

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The themed love hotel area is also worth a visit. As Tokyo is so densely populated, and families mainly live in cramped apartments, the younger generation go to these places to get some privacy.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Get an Albion Mitoma shirt, oh and google translate on ya phone

SeagullSarge

Jul 8, 2012
Tokyo
Visit an Ichiran
Visiting a 7-11 or FamilyMart
Teamlabs Planets
Shibuya Scramble
Shibuya Sky
Any of the fish markets
Steak and drinks at the New York bar and grill (Park Hyatt)

Definitely get the Shinkansen Green Car (end of row seats are best if you have luggage)

Kyoto
Gion district
Get a Monteblanc cake
Visit an Ichiran
Visit a 7-11 or FamilyMart
Inari temple
Bamboo Woods
Arashiyama restaurant

Osaka
Visit and Ichiran
Visit a 7-11 or FamilyMart
Dotonbori
Osaka Castle but don't try and go up it, instead enjoy the view and beer at the rooftop bar next to it within the Mirazin building)
Universal Studios - Super Nintendo Land

Go to a BIC camera anywhere there is one, they are full of gadgets!

Just get lost in the place, it's an epic country with so much culture, both modern and old. Drop into the little bars and restaurants, they are always welcoming.

Have a great time

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Your mobile SIM may not work in Japan, so you may want to investigate getting a local one. A 2 week Japan Rail Pass is also worth it. We also booked a tea ceremony in Kyoto. International Manga Museum in Kyoto (me and Igzilla Jr got our portraits done in manga style). Akihabara district in Tokyo is worth a visit too.

anygivensunday

Jul 5, 2012
Singapore
Tokyo and Kyoto both incredible and so different from each other. You won't scratch the surface of Tokyo in that time but there's loads to do. Go to the izakayas.

Osaka you can do in about 2 days. The nightlife is great but I personally found the city a bit dull compared to the others in terms of the town itself. But definitely try okonomiyaki.

Would second the advice about Hiroshima. Hauntingly quiet place. As though they are still recovering from it. Reminded me of an American city (ironic) as everything's brand new (obviously) and on a grid system. The museum is one of the most affecting things you'll ever see and totally worth it.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Be sure to witness the Great Tumbling of the Salarymen - check out any city bar with hostess service on a Friday evening. It’s quite a spectacular sight.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I think the fish market has moved to a new modern facility. The old one was superb, really really superb. Did you get in to the part where they do the tuna auctions? They only let about 20 people in at a time and I was lucky.

The workers cafes at the market are excellent. I like the idea they just have a rice cooker and don’t have any refrigeration; they obviously get the fish fresh from just outside their door.
Yeah, I was last there 20 years ago so things have certainly moved on! Didn't see the tuna auctions. Did eat the freshest fish I've ever had. Even @Goldstone1976 would have approved.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Just remembered, if you are in Tokyo on a Sunday then go to Harajuku and have a walk round the Meiji shrine. If you come back out in the afternoon you'll see the Harajuku girls - outrageous goths, fancy dress and cosplay.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
My daughter lives in Osaka and just started work as a food tour guide

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here