Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

First same-sex wedding tonight

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
I'm surprised to hear this. Surprised because I'm surprised it wasn't already the law.

Good luck to them all. Really couldn't give a shit either way. Marriage is an outdated prehistoric concept which has little relevance in today's world. They are now on level terms with heterosexuals and surely lost their discriminated insecurities.

Outrageous

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I am one of the 20% of the population who would decline to attend a gay wedding, according to the BBC's report.

Marriage is as old as civilisation and between a man and woman to create a family, it does society no good to call this a marriage....

But I know I am in a minority and don't expect others to agree .

My wife and I chose not to "create a family". Does this make our marriage invalid?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I love the MP soundbites coming out.

Nick Clegg says "Britain will be a different place" - Of course it is Nick. I worke up (too) early this morning and didn't know where I was.

David Cameron reckons people are now "equal" - Yes, I'm sure this has solved everything. You've single handedly changed the fabric of the country and eradicated discrimination. Five more years, please.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I get where the religious crowd are coming from: that couples being together is perfectly natural but the institute of marriage is a deliberate thing borne from religious ritual and is specifically between a man and a woman. Trouble is they never seemed to make a song and dance about removing the religious element of marriage for hetero couples and neither do they seem to have a problem with the idea of divorce and re-marrying which seems to fly directly in the face of the vows taken in marriage - especially religious ones. So getting uppity about same-sex couples marrying does seem to be picking and choosing specific elements of the whole process to get upset about. It's hypocritical to complain now, IMO. Anyway, as Al Murray says - he's all in favour of gay marriage, why should it only be straight couples that end up living miserably together?

Good luck to the pair of them - doesn't affect my life one iota.
I'm getting married for the second time in 5 weeks in a church, now that wouldn't have been allowed once upon a time…

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
I'm getting married for the second time in 5 weeks in a church, now that wouldn't have been allowed once upon a time…

Don't stop there - I fully believe you can achieve three weddings in two months. And now you have the whole population to choose from, definitely doable.

D

Deleted member 22389

I am one of the 20% of the population who would decline to attend a gay wedding, according to the BBC's report.

Marriage is as old as civilisation and between a man and woman to create a family, it does society no good to call this a marriage....

Your opinion should be respected. Opinion will always be divided on this subject. Where I can see it going wrong is when people get shut down for having an opinion on it. These governments where persistant on pushing it through, but what they cannot do is stop debate on it like they have with other things.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Generally people that get invited to weddings are friends or family of the couple. I struggle to believe that anyone is really that fussed about it that they would want to possibly end friendships over it ? After all that is what is likely to happen if you turn down an invite on those grounds.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

Sure, it would be interesting to understand whether the 22% who were opposed to gay marriage would increase if the question they were asked concerned whether they supported gay couples adopting children and having equal access as heterosexual couples to IVF etc.

The "marriage" aspect in this debate is merely the catalyst for an equalisation of rights, and accordingly this will all follow so that gay married gay couples will be able to access IVF etc.

No doubt there would be many who will be completely relaxed about that point, however I suspect those opposed to that aspect would be greater than 22%. IMO obviously.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here