Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

First openly gay footballer coming out on Sunday apparently

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'd go as far as to say the greatest (saying something when Psycho is/waa my favourite non-Albion player) but it shouldn't be that footballing talent makes everything else irrelevant.

I know that's not how the world works but look at Luis Suarez, he's bitten people, dives, handballs on the line and had the whole racist thing going on. Can you honestly say his undeniable talent makes that ok?

no his talent doesnt make it OK. however it sort of highlihgts how Ashley Cole hasnt done anything wrong on the field of play, so why give him a hard time for being a bit of a knob (a few years ago) of it? he doesnt profess to be a role model or anything, just a left back, which he's got on with.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
no his talent doesnt make it OK. however it sort of highlihgts how Ashley Cole hasnt done anything wrong on the field of play, so why give him a hard time for being a bit of a knob (a few years ago) of it? he doesnt profess to be a role model or anything, just a left back, which he's got on with.

You know what, that, to a certain degree is a fair point.

Thing is, you don't have to seek becoming a role model to actually be one, it's usually thrust upon someone rather than sought out.

Maybe Cole's off field stuff should be forgotten about now, but what about more serious off field stuff?

Marlon King for example, worthy of a hard time?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The people who say "who cares" Are sadly wrong and being too simplistic. In "normal" circumstances they'd be correct. In this day and age, who does really care about someone's sexual persuasion, it's their business. But if a player does come out, it will be a big and very brave thing to do.
In one of the recent documentaries about homosexuality and football, they interviewed Max Clifford (yes I know) and he said he'd had about 8-10 footballers come to him asking to cover up their homosexuality and make them look like ladies men to the press.

It will be a very courageous thing to do and we should all give encouragement and support to whoever comes out first because they will sadly be given grief from some sections of paying public and opposing players who will want to sledge them during the match.

I think people who are saying "Why does it matter? Him coming out shouldn't be news" are missing a major point.

You're a 15/16 year old boy. Your gay but scared of coming out. Your at school/college surrounded by morons, some of which aren't old enough to be mature about sexuality. Your worried about your parents will react too, so you repress your feelings, hide who you are from everyone. You love the "normal" hobbies of kids your age - One of the main ones being Football. Having a professional footballer come out, especially one who has been heard of by most people could very easily give you the confidence to come out.

Yes, sexuality should be regarded in the same way as somebodies gender, skin colour etc - something that doesn't matter, however I'm not going to slate the papers for running this story as long as it is done in a tasteful, respectful way. After all, if it helps one child come to terms with their sexuality then its a good thing, surely?

Both of these.

I would also add that the whole "why do they have to make an announcement?" argument sometimes comes across as "I want to ignore the existence of homosexuality please keep it to yourself", as if people feel they can't openly express homophobia, but still aren't comfortable with gays.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
the sun tweeted "Completely unfounded rumours about a footballer coming out in the Sun on Sunday - only believe stories when you see them in the paper."

not so sure about that one ???

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not Two-Boys Gumede then ?? Also wondered whether Julian Dicks and Dean Windass might announce their engagement. Bet Manfred bender is glad he retired anyway.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Shock horror another Gay Man in Britain comes out !! ooohhh the drama !!!
Who cares ???? FFS this is 2014 not 1814

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Saying that though it would be quite funny if it was palarse player ha ha !!

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
It's going to be Cleverly.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Why is it such a big fuss when someone announces their sexuality.
Why do they need to announce their sexuality

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Why is it such a big fuss when someone announces their sexuality.
Why do they need to announce their sexuality

If only there was some sort of thread on here where you could find many different opinions trying to answer exactly that question, my, that would be handy!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here