Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

First League Game at Falmer

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Anyone know what date the first league game at Falmer will be?

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Surely we won't know for ages yet as the league haven't set the fixtures yet (they can't do, obviously, until the final league standings).

I remember reading about how the plan fixtures, quite complicated at times. They have to avoid fixtures with 2 local teams (e.g. Man U and Man C won't both be at home) due to policing, local transport etc. Many other complications but ultimately, they need to know WHO is in each league before they can properly plan the fixtures.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Surely we won't know for ages yet as the league haven't set the fixtures yet (they can't do, obviously, until the final league standings).

I remember reading about how the plan fixtures, quite complicated at times. They have to avoid fixtures with 2 local teams (e.g. Man U and Man C won't both be at home) due to policing, local transport etc. Many other complications but ultimately, they need to know WHO is in each league before they can properly plan the fixtures.

As I understand it, everybody believes it will be on that date - Pride have move their kneesup accordingly and I'm sure that wouldn't have been done on the off-chance. Of course it can't be official until the teams are known, but these days fixtures are not simply random, there are too many things to consider.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Read this artice:

Secrets of the Ficture Computer

It doesn't help with the original poster's query, but is a really interesting insight into the logistical nightmare faced by the Football League and the Premier League.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Don't know but I'm really looking forward to the first night game whether it's in the Carling Cup against league 1/2 opposition I don't care, It'd be amazing to get a lively atmosphere at Falmer on a night game.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Following on from my earlier post, the article says that roughly 80% of club requests are met. This means we have a roughly 80% chance of our first league next season being at home, given that the club have told us they have requested a home fixture.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it will be the 6th. there is no good reason not to and Pride moved to accommodate.

the only speculation is whether the fixture computer will "happen" to give us Doncaster...

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
but these days fixtures are not simply random, there are too many things to consider.

I am not sure they do really. Last Tuesday, Carlisle v Plymouth and Hartlepool v Orient. A couple of weeks earlier, Charlton v Carlisle on a Tuesday night, even in the conference, Wrexham v Eastbourne on a Tuesday night just recently. I think they might do some minor tweaking (possibly for the prem), but I really don't believe they think much about fans, and teams in lower leagues, who really must suffer from such ridiculous midweek fixtures.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Isn't it time we banned this question? :wozza:

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
it will be the 6th. there is no good reason not to and Pride moved to accommodate.

the only speculation is whether the fixture computer will "happen" to give us Doncaster...

this. i am 100% convinced that we'll be playing doncaster at 3pm on saturday the 6th.

playing donny will complete the circle. don't forget our shared history with donny. plus they won't take the full away allocation, so an additional 1,500 tickets will be available to home fans.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Provided it isn't this i dont mind. This will be the one game next year i want a ticket for being the team of all my mates.

Agreed. Ipswich Town are a wonderful football club. It would be great to play them in the first league game.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
this. i am 100% convinced that we'll be playing doncaster at 3pm on saturday the 6th.

playing donny will complete the circle. don't forget our shared history with donny. plus they won't take the full away allocation, so an additional 1,500 tickets will be available to home fans.

We'll be at home on the 6th for sure, but I certainly don't see it as being definite that it'll be Donnie. I know some fans on here have a bit of a love-in with DRFC, but I don't think its that big a deal to the club or the majority of fans. To be honest, I don't really care WHO that first League game is against, as long as its not Palace - I don't want them having the chance of spoiling the first game there by doing something unspeakable, like actually WINNING the inaugural game.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I am not sure they do really. Last Tuesday, Carlisle v Plymouth and Hartlepool v Orient. A couple of weeks earlier, Charlton v Carlisle on a Tuesday night, even in the conference, Wrexham v Eastbourne on a Tuesday night just recently. I think they might do some minor tweaking (possibly for the prem), but I really don't believe they think much about fans, and teams in lower leagues, who really must suffer from such ridiculous midweek fixtures.

...and there's a Forest fan in the commments below that article complaining about having to go to Carlisle on a Tuesday night. It's only , fans in Nottingham don't know they're born. (I should know, it's EASY to travel to ANY ground from Nottingham).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here