Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] First House Viewing Advice

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Take photos. Otherwise you'll forget what it looks like.

Ignore the current decor. You won't like it anyway?

Visit the street at different times of day to see what its really like.

How much are the Bill's, recent repairs and jobs done, neighbour issues, does it have a roof....

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I would ensure that I have unfettered access to the rear garden to ensure I can take the bins out via a neighbours path, particularly if they have recently put a new gate in which may be locked.

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
I would say, as others have mentioned, check out for possible problem neighbours if you can. Especially if the walls aren't very sound-proof.

Good luck!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Don’t stress too much about. You will get a feeling for the right property and go for that one in the end regardless of any minor details. Buying a residential property is quite an emotive decision.

From experience, what I will say is during the conveyancing process and after receiving the survey, you will have to take a view on a number of things. The surveyor and conveyancer will highlight a number of issues, most of which are probably nothing to worry about but they have to cover their arse. If you do buy an older property or really any property over a few years old, there will always be certain issues highlighted and unless you never want to buy a property, you do have to take a view.

Due to worries about their liability and the ever increasing cost of their insurance, surveyors and conveyancers are getting more and more pedantic. I’ve seen a number of examples recently where first time buyers have pulled out or thought about pulling out due to something in the survey or something the solicitor has said that really shouldn’t cause a concern.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
If you like the property and have the opportunity visit the property in the morning, afternoon and evening. You will get a better feel of the place and noise levels.

Look for signs of pests and rodents.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Listen to your heart. Probably the worst advice, but we did, and are still here (in our mid-terrace) 23 years later and very happy.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Lots of good advice here about checking the neighbourhood at different times of day, chat to neighbours if you can, making sure you know you can feel at home there once you've redecorated etc. Also ask how long the current owner has been there and if it's not long ask why they're moving.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'm going on my first house viewing tomorrow, does anybody have any advice on things I should look at or ask about while I'm at it?

In case it makes a difference, it's an old terraced house. Can't remember how old off the top of my head.

Not sure what size property you are moving from, but check out how much more you're likely to pay for amenities.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
check the neighbours washing lines for skimpy underwear

... and how quickly you can get in and out of their garden. :lolol:

On a more serious note, see through any poor decor and mess and clutter. Imagine every room empty. So many people have said to me "I didn't like the house, there was crap everywhere and the walls were green and purple!"

That's not the house's fault!

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Not sure what size property you are moving from, but check out how much more you're likely to pay for amenities.

I'm in a block of flats at the moment, so given I've not had to turn my heating on all winter it's pretty clear I'll be paying more once I move into a house.

Thanks again to everybody who's taken the time and effort to reply.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
... and how quickly you can get in and out of their garden. :lolol:

On a more serious note, see through any poor decor and mess and clutter. Imagine every room empty. So many people have said to me "I didn't like the house, there was crap everywhere and the walls were green and purple!"

That's not the house's fault!

If the room is cluttered, look at the ceiling to get a "feel" for how the room is.

Jul 7, 2003
I think a lot of people commenting on this thread are out of touch with the current market.

Back in the day, you would usually visit a place at least twice before making an offer. Not sure if Sheffield is the same as Sussex but things are moving so fast down here you don't often get a chance for a second look.

I put my place on the market on the Tuesday afternoon and by the Saturday afternoon I have had 19 viewings and received 9 offers. Unless the place is badly priced or has something people don't like about it, properties here are often sold within a week of going on sale. A few places now are doing open days where you get allocated a fifteen minute slot and at the end of the day they will decide which offer to accept.

With this in mind, do your homework on the area. Use the video or 360 degree tours that agents offer to get a feel for the place and to see things you might want to ask about. Park up nearby and have a walk around the area to see what it is like, even if you think you know the area well. This may be very obvious but make sure you have your mortgage agreed in principle before looking - if you don't have one then you may find sellers will take other offers ahead of yours.

Good luck!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Ask how much they’re asking for? Why is there no swimming pool? Is there a thriving swingers community in the road? And whilst at it, ask them if they have any idea what happened to the Cup Final money?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I think a lot of people commenting on this thread are out of touch with the current market.

Back in the day, you would usually visit a place at least twice before making an offer. Not sure if Sheffield is the same as Sussex but things are moving so fast down here you don't often get a chance for a second look.

I put my place on the market on the Tuesday afternoon and by the Saturday afternoon I have had 19 viewings and received 9 offers. Unless the place is badly priced or has something people don't like about it, properties here are often sold within a week of going on sale. A few places now are doing open days where you get allocated a fifteen minute slot and at the end of the day they will decide which offer to accept.

With this in mind, do your homework on the area. Use the video or 360 degree tours that agents offer to get a feel for the place and to see things you might want to ask about. Park up nearby and have a walk around the area to see what it is like, even if you think you know the area well. This may be very obvious but make sure you have your mortgage agreed in principle before looking - if you don't have one then you may find sellers will take other offers ahead of yours.

Good luck!

Out of interest, how much have you increased your price given that level of response? Percentage wise?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here