Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] First half injury time risky passing

Seagull Stew

I get why we pass the ball around at the back to try to draw in the press, which opens up space in midfield for us to “counter-attack”. However, today we did this with 30 seconds left of the one minute of injury time in the first half.

Surely, there is no benefit to playing this way when there is not enough time to play through the press get the ball up to the front players and score. Playing this way with so little time can only increase the risk of conceding with no benefit of getting a goal ourselves.

Knowing that there are only seconds left on the clock, and with the ball in our own penalty area would this not call for a good old fashioned hoof up field, just in case?

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I get why we pass the ball around at the back to try to draw in the press, which opens up space in midfield for us to “counter-attack”. However, today we did this with 30 seconds left of the one minute of injury time in the first half.

Surely, there is no benefit to playing this way when there is not enough time to play through the press get the ball up to the front players and score. Playing this way with so little time can only increase the risk of conceding with no benefit of getting a goal ourselves.

Knowing that there are only seconds left on the clock, and with the ball in our own penalty area would this not call for a good old fashioned hoof up field, just in case?
I could not disagree with this more. If there is thirty seconds left then that is plenty of time. Once we break it we are out in seconds. Roberto has a way of doing it and they stick to it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So the players should be concentrating on watching the clock run down till it hits the 1 minute mark (as you can't see the seconds), then activating HOOFBALL ? Mmmkay.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So the players should be concentrating on watching the clock run down till it hits the 1 minute mark (as you can't see the seconds), then activating HOOFBALL ? Mmmkay.
This. Whatever time is flagged up is generally a 'minimum', and I'd rather they focus on playing football rather than clock watching.

And 30 seconds is plenty of time to score a goal.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If you can’t take us at our “playing de Zerbi ball with 30 seconds to go in the first half against Luton”, you don’t deserve us at our “playing de Zerbi ball to put the fourth past Chelsea”.

Its like “Bazball” in cricket, it’s a mindset and you have to stick with it to make it work.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Keep possession with less than a minute to go.... or hoof it up field, which will possibly result in conceding possession to the opposition, who then may create their own chance to score in the time remaining? ..... it's a tough one :dunce:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Keep possession with less than a minute to go.... or hoof it up field, which will possibly result in conceding possession to the opposition, who then may create their own chance to score in the time remaining? ..... it's a tough one :dunce:
Stop talking common sense

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013

Well I agree with you and thought the same at the time. Keeping possession further up the pitch is one thing but passing about under pressure in our own penalty box is another. Maybe not an aimless hoof but should definitely have got it away from our goal quicker. I assume our players weren't aware of the clock because it could only have benefitted Luton.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I very much doubt we will change our style of play just because the OPs arsehole is going all sixpence/half a crown!
The confidence this group of players have in their own ability is something we have to get used to...it's a different game from the championship days

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

So we would've won 4-2 instead of 4-1 then? :shrug:

I'll stick to trusting the professionals, I think.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Aaaaargh! I have only just got over that, and now you have brought it all flooding back.😩
Don't think I'll ever get over it. As he kicked it I thought what the f*** are you doing, it'll be back, and so it was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here