Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] First Female Manager?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This may sound a bit silly for people who don't watch women's football, but for those who do, don't you think this is a step down for her? She's in charge of a Chelsea team who are top of the league and the competition is getting stronger every year. I personally think she's better off staying at Chelsea, but I understand she'd want to get into the men's game.

The other person Wimbledon are rumoured to be looking at is Pardew, and as someone who had to watch ADO Den Haag last season, there's an easy choice here.

How much is she paid by Chelsea? How much would Wimbledon pay?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

You are second to post that. It was an awful series that shrieked of 'come on, this could obviously never happen'. I was half expecting a 'Life on Mars' style update a year later called 'The black manager'. Although back then 'the black captain' or even 'the black midfield schemer' would have been just as absurd.

I'd like to think times have changed :thumbsup:

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I've listened to her often on the radio and the thought 'she could easily manage a men's team' has popped into my head. On the minus side, she does sound extremely old skool. But in league 1 or 2 that may be a perfect fit.

"Mickey , Mickey ........leave your knob alone while i'm talking to ya will ya ....Daren , Daren .......don't put deap heat down there love "

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You are second to post that. It was an awful series that shrieked of 'come on, this could obviously never happen'. I was half expecting a 'Life on Mars' style update a year later called 'The black manager'. Although back then 'the black captain' or even 'the black midfield schemer' would have been just as absurd.

I'd like to hink times have changed :thumbsup:
Bollocks to that, mate - it had Cherie Lunghi in it!

:thumbsup:

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
How much is she paid by Chelsea? How much would Wimbledon pay?

I have no idea but I imagine they'd be fairly similar. For reference, Chelsea are paying some of their ladies around £200-300,000 a year, so about 4-6k a week. Chelsea probably won't want to lose her as a manager either, considering the achievements she's had so far.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have no idea but I imagine they'd be fairly similar. For reference, Chelsea are paying some of their ladies around £200-300,000 a year, so about 4-6k a week. Chelsea probably won't want to lose her as a manager either, considering the achievements she's had so far.

Fair enough.

I think if I managed a women's side and got the chance to manage a men's side at no loss of income I'd snap your hand off, whether I were male or female. And to be the first women to do that in the UK.....no brainer.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Fair enough.

I think if I managed a women's side and got the chance to manage a men's side at no loss of income I'd snap your hand off, whether I were male or female. And to be the first women to do that in the UK.....no brainer.

Absolutely. If she becomes a success then it's great for the whole game. If she ends up being a failure, people will have a field day. It's a tough one.

She's also leaving a top team with top players to go to a mediocre team in the 3rd tier.

I remember Hope Powell was linked with Grimsby years ago, but it never came about in the end.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Well I'm certainly not a sexist and if Brighton wanted to appoint a female manager next time I would be all for it. Preferably one with big boobs though.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Cheri Lungie wasn't just the first female football manager, she was also the first posh football manager. I couldn't understand why the first female manager wouldn't be a working class ex player - maybe now I will be proved right. It's odd this new fangled pc, helping all these minority rich white Etonians to run the country. I didn't realise football was now in the hands of black, lesbian, Muslim, single mums.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
It makes sense really.
There are plenty of female senior officers in the military and police and female managers in civilian life so I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner to have a female football manager.
I wouldn't be surprised if we start to see female footballers alongside male players too one day.
Certainly mixed football could become a thing like in tennis.
Could work in cricket too.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It makes sense really.
There are plenty of female senior officers in the military and police and female managers in civilian life so I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner to have a female football manager.
I wouldn't be surprised if we start to see female footballers alongside male players too one day.

Really ? I'd be bloody ASTOUNDED.

We're talking about a contact sport here. The mens game in terms of speed, strength, athleticism and physicality is light years away from the womens game. Its not "sexist" to say introducing women into mens football in order to 'mix it up' would be a bad idea. Its simple common sense. Taken to an extreme, you wouldn't put a woman in a boxing ring with a man. If a male fullback cleaned out a nippy female winger, I can't see that ending well.

Fallon Sherrock has proved there is plenty of potential for women to compete against men in darts. I see no reason why they can't also compete in mens tournaments in snooker. But mens football ? Give your head a wobble chap.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
It makes sense really.
Mixed doubles tennis isn't truly mixed. For it to be truly mixed, men and women would have to be interchangeable; not to be forced by rule to have exactly one woman and one man on each team.

It's easy to underestimate just how much of a disadvantage it is not to have a Y chromosome. One of the England ladies' cricket players - Alex Hartley - plays occasional Lancashire League cricket. For Clitheroe 2nd XI. There are at least 10 amateur players in Clitheroe better than her. Not her fault, that is biology.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Mixed doubles tennis isn't truly mixed. For it to be truly mixed, men and women would have to be interchangeable; not to be forced by rule to have exactly one woman and one man on each team.

It's easy to underestimate just how much of a disadvantage it is not to have a Y chromosome. One of the England ladies' cricket players - Alex Hartley - plays occasional Lancashire League cricket. For Clitheroe 2nd XI. There are at least 10 amateur players in Clitheroe better than her. Not her fault, that is biology.

Hehehe...

Anyway, you're right.

When women's football became big in Sweden some 20-25 years ago the journalists would frequently ask if women's football ever could develop enough to beat the men etc. Well-meant questions but very annoying for the players to over and over again have to explain how it is simply impossible. Pia Sundhage, the former Sweden coach, used to have the national team play friendly games vs local boys U13 teams to give them stronger opposition. If they were too dominant, the boys would only play 10 players in the second half. Thats the reality of it.

Back in 2001 or 2002 the Perugia owner tried to sign two Swedish female players (strikers Hanna Ljungberg & Victoria Svensson) for their Serie A team... they both immediatly said no despite having a chance of earning 10x the money they did. They just laughed it off, knowing how hopeless (and dangerous) it would be.

"Mixed football" or women playing in a professional league for men is never happening. Surely will happen when it comes to coaches though. Clermont in Ligue 2 had a woman as manager 2014-17, no one liked her and no one likes her today (manager of the French women's NT) but the results were on par or better than expected. In Norway there is a 26 year old woman coaching a league in the third tier. I expect things like that to become more and more common.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Won't be appearing with Keys and Gray on Bein Sports, given their shite punditry effort last night.

Oh my word. I had the misfortune of those two as well. Keys comes across as though he’s had a brain injury. He just stood there with his hands in his pockets saying little. He hadnt spoken for ages, then Gray asked if he fancied Spurs. He replied “yes”, paused and then said “yes, I do”. And this was how it continued...periodically he would just say the odd short sentence with no explanation.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Really ? I'd be bloody ASTOUNDED.

We're talking about a contact sport here. The mens game in terms of speed, strength, athleticism and physicality is light years away from the womens game. Its not "sexist" to say introducing women into mens football in order to 'mix it up' would be a bad idea. Its simple common sense. Taken to an extreme, you wouldn't put a woman in a boxing ring with a man. If a male fullback cleaned out a nippy female winger, I can't see that ending well.

Fallon Sherrock has proved there is plenty of potential for women to compete against men in darts. I see no reason why they can't also compete in mens tournaments in snooker. But mens football ? Give your head a wobble chap.

Contact sport...slightest contact sport you mean. I’m sure any female can roll around screaming just as well as a man.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Call me a dinosaur, but I hate the idea... We already have female reporters, pundits, and a parallel female game. Ruddy women get in everywhere! ...
of course there are particular problems in football ( I know Phil Neville coached the women) What happens in the dressing room ?
To the Junior players he should be a father figure...
All I can say is No No No!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here