Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

First Choice Back 4??

Nicky-Number-Nine

Jul 7, 2009
If Joel Lynch plays for Albion again then he'll get booed by a proportion of the Albion fans for being such a complete and utter c#nt.

Football fans are fickle. A few good performances and they will stop.
I think the back fur will change regularly next season, until Slade has worked out his best back four.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Whing pretty much picks himself but at centre back currently we have the choice of Virgs, Elph, tunnicliffe, Lynch, El abd, Hawkins. Mcnulty will be left back & lynch will fill in if he is still here but it looks strong.

Russell wanted a headache ......
I disagree that Whing picks himself. I don't know too much about Tunnicliffe but supposedly he is good on the ball and can play right back, and I think Elphick and Virgo have as much of a case to be picked as Whing.
Elphick had a bit of a difficult second season but he wasn't awful, most of the time he was by far the best defender with a shambles around him in my opinion. Virgo played well when he went back there, they looked good as a pair for the most part. I prefer Elphick myself, I think Virgo is more likely to make an error or be caught out of position than Tommy. But, he is also the only one with any real experience, without him you're looking at a back four in their early 20s. Whether that is a problem or not is a matter of debate given how well Lynch and Elphick have played together (people talk about Butters, but in his first season Elphick played alongside Lynch or El-Abd in the vast majority of games).

rusty redeyes

Feb 26, 2007
Portslade, The Blue Anchor
I agree that Whing isn't necessarily 1st choice. Definitely our most whole hearted player, but with a liability to give the ball away and concede needless freekicks. I'd personally have no problem starting with a back four of Tunnicliffe, if the hypes to be believed, with Virgo, Elphick and Lynch at LB to start with until McNulty is fit. Potentially, once he is fit, a back 5 with the 2 ex Stockport lads bombing on is an option with the 3 local lads in the middle.

If Lynch is out the frame, Livermore is a consideration @ LB as at least he is left footed and has played there. Please, no RB's (Whing/El Abd) @ LB unless there is absolutely no other option

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here