Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] First Brighton game and who took you....indulge me

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Sorry for your loss.
It is good to hear of so many dads who took their lads for the first time when the dads themselves had little or no interest in football.
I had to wait for my dad to take me - because he was always playing football! So my uncle suddenly decided to take me to my first game which was the Albion v Burnley FA cup tie in 1961 that finished 3-3. I couldn't wait to tell my dad where I had been that afternoon - and it turned out that he had also been to the match as his game had been called off at the last minute.
I did not delay with my own lads. All three were going by the age of 4 or younger. Grandsons were a bit older.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
So sorry to hear of your loss, Lamie. RIP Mr Robertson (senior).

My dad took me to a 1-1 draw with Port Vale in October 1971. Recall the vivid green pitch. We went in the West Stand seats from where we witnessed the promotion game under Pat Saward later that season. I recently discovered that the Vale team included a certain B. Horton.

I made sure my eldest made it to the Goldstone with me, August 1996 for a 2-1 win against Chester. We were in the South seats and he burst into tears when we scored the winner as I over-celebrated! Technically, he was at the ManU OT cup tie in Jan 93, despite yet to be born(!) He finally made it back there to see the Albion in 2017. All 3 of our boys remain big fans, as does my mum, sister, wife, nephew and in-laws.

My dad was a stalwart through the Goldstone, Gillingham and Withdean years but only made it once to the Amex due to a long illness. He passed in August 2018, the day before we beat ManU: that one was for him.

All best wishes Lamie.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Condolences Lamie.

6 May 1967 1-1 against Middlesbrough and my dad took me as he was a Middlesbrough fan. I was 6.

I remember that game. Arrived for an end-of-season game to find the South Stand absolutely bouncing, full of Boro fans. It was their promotion party (1-1 draw - unfortunately we have seen similar since!). Things being chucked on the pitch, pitch invasions - it was all happening.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
I remember that game. Arrived for an end-of-season game to find the South Stand absolutely bouncing, full of Boro fans. It was their promotion party (1-1 draw - unfortunately we have seen similar since!). Things being chucked on the pitch, pitch invasions - it was all happening.

Yes my 'boro supporting dad and I were in the South Stand. It was also our safe for another year game I think, both teams needed a draw.

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
I went with my school in April 2000 Vs Rotherham. It was 1-1.

I remember after the game standing out near the players lounge getting autographs.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
best wishes to you and the family. dad-shaped holes never fill - they just become a bit more comfy around the edges x

cup run 83 got me hooked... biggest sis ( NSC lurker 'waves' )and then boyfriend, now bro in law took me as my xmas present .. so it was jan 84 v blackburn i think... but... my biggest excitement was asking if they would take me to my second match - the itv bha v liverpool big match. michael robinson was my first albion crush ( RIP) - therefore my name.... and i was soooo chuffed to see him play, albeit for the opposition. very happy memories... part of my present was a bha bear... named it fozzie.. loved it.. but a couple of years later threw up all over it one night... sigh...! TY to my sis and bro in law for ALL the matches over the years - meant a lot.

PFW

Feb 16, 2017
The foot hills of Norfolk
3/3/1974 - Aldershot away, won 1-0.

My dad took me, can't remember to much about the game other than my feet not touching the ground for the whole game as the ground was absolutely rammed.

From that day on I was hooked, much to my dads delight. Although living in Woking with no access to a car, trips to the Goldstone were a rear treat. Until I was old enough to go by myself then there was no holding me back.

Saltdean Seagull

Aug 21, 2011
Sorry to hear about your loss - at least you have the memories like your Albion experiences with him to hopefully comfort you.

A gloriously sunny Saturday 17 August 1985 against the mighty Grimsby Town was my first time. I think the mulleted Alan Biley got at least one (maybe he scored both I can`t remember now) in a 2-2 draw. Sat in the South Stand with my dear old pa and hooked ever since; now taking my two boys (who I keep reminding that they`ve never had it so good thanks to Uncle Tony and Prem footy at the Amex). I think maybe Dean Saunders made his debut that day, and maybe Denis Mortimer and Fash played. I tend to remember we had a decent side that year that got side tracked by a Cup run and then the Catlin sacking; the beginning of a slow decline.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I know this has been done before ...but indulge me..it’s a minor tribute to my dad who slipped away peacefully this afternoon.

Brighton v Torquay August 28th 1968 my Dad
Brighton v Chelsea FA Cup 13th January 1973. My dad took me because the guy who's season ticket was next to his at the back of the West Stand didn't do cup games. We lost 2-0. The height and rake of the stand scared the living crap of me aged 7 but there was something about it that made me want more.

Condolences Lamie, I know how you must be feeling. I took my dad to his last game in November 2008, a home defeat against Hartlepool. Six weeks later he passed away. In between times we enjoyed many great moments supporting the club we both loved. I'm sure you shared the same with your dad

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Can't recall the game, other than it was with my dad and sister, and it was in the South stand of the Goldstone in about 1988.

My over-riding memory was wondering where the commentary was....:dunce:

PeakGull

Aug 30, 2017
Derbyshire
My Dad took me to see Plymouth Argyle in League Division Three on 29th Dec 1973. A young Paul Mariner was playing for Plymouth.

Unfortunately, my Dad never got to see the Amex as he passed away in 1995 - still at least he never had to see us play at Gillingham or Withdean.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here