Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

First Brighton Away Game?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
My dad was a Spurs fan so it was a game for both of us, he had also taken me to White Hart Lane before, I just liked going to football and never supported Spurs, but the trouble that day was nothing to what I had witnessed at WHL before, a match against West Ham was madness with fights going off all round the ground.

I remember some older lads that lived near me telling me about the Aldershot game.

Funnily enough, as a younger child I was taken to West Ham V Spurs. It was just after Greaves and Peters had swopped teams. I was fascinated that everyone, including girls, were wearing Doctor Martins. The Official capacity was 38,000 but there was record crowd of over 40,000. So packed, that we couldn't get in to the terracing to see the second half. The score was 2-2.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Derby County 1976

November 8th, my birthday. League Cup replay. I know I went to this game with my Father and a few friends (I had to sit in the middle of a 4 seat car, painful). I was at the Palace Stamford Bridge replay a few weeks later, but not sure of any before that. Recognize the towns but cant remember if pre or post 76. Need to get my prog collection out as I always purchased one home or away.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Selhurst 1989. Kelvin Morton.

Driven up by my mates parents who dropped us off at the ground. Lovely hot day, referee went penalty mad, Wright scored from a misplaced cross. We didn't get either beaten up or arrested. We went to Portsmouth on the train shortly after, avoided getting beaten up but were ejected from the ground for starting a surge :lolol:. West Brom was next, again on the train, we lost and got coined at the station after the match.

Happy days.

Last edited:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Nice to pick a nice "Quiet" game for your debut. that was an "interesting" day.

Mine was a couple of years earlier. Aldershot. 1-1. Gate of 11,000 including 8,000 Albion.

did you par take in the crossbar challenge?

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
away to Walton and Hersham FA Cup first round , club laid on a train , it was a 0-0 draw , Brian Clough was manager , we lost the infamous replay 4 -0 . We bunked off school for the replay , the first match was crap as well

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Walsall FA cup 70's? where we had drawn about 3 matches 0-0 I cannot remember if we won or not, all I remember is standing underneath a flyover watching the match.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Charlton 0 - Brighton 4

Calderon, Lua Lua, Murray and Sparrow all netting.

What a day that was. Just about edges Donny at the first game at the AMEX as the best game I've gone to, and that's saying something.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I THINK it was Brentford funnily enough in '87. Garry Nelson, celebrating on the pitch. Great times.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Spurs Nov 77

was at that one,although didn't get in until just before half time

hadn't seen the old man for weeks,when out of the blue he turned up and said get in the car son

i asked "where are we going?"

he replied "white hart lane son"

ah! the memories!

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
My first away game was 1972 against Portsmouth. My mate said lets get there early it will be fun. Managed to get to their ground after a few run-ins with the locals. I can say it was not fun. It didn't put me off going to away matches though.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Sunday 14th April 1985
Notts County 1 Brighton 2
Hans Kray scored the winner in the last minute.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
was at that one,although didn't get in until just before half time

hadn't seen the old man for weeks,when out of the blue he turned up and said get in the car son

i asked "where are we going?"

he replied "white hart lane son"

ah! the memories!

Happy days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here