Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] First Ashes Test - England v Australia - Cardiff

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
and hooks Johnson for FOUR down to fine leg... and a flamingo pull for 3... 32 from 16 balls... this is more like it :laugh:

These tail end runs are just taking the momentum away from the Australians... which is nice!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Gone past the highest ever run chase in an Ashes now... (Australia chased down 404 to win losing only 3 wickets at Headingly in 1948).

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This is the 1st test so Broad and Anderson are still relatively fresh, Stokes and Wood have plenty of bowling in them and we have Ali and Root for spin. With a bit of moisture and cloud cover on Day 5 I cannot see this Aussie line-up chasing 400 down. If anything, I don't think they have enough batting at No.s 8-11 to get them over the line.

That said, England have made a bit of a hash of the last hour with some pretty ugly shots from Buttler and Broad.

What about 410!? :cool:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Close of play on Day 3.

England 289 all out (70.1 overs, RR4.11).

Mark Wood 32* (18 balls, 4 fours, 1 six) :clap2:

Australia have TWO DAYS to score 412 to win the 1st Test Match.

What a great day of cricket it's been today. Runs and wickets aplenty, 333-15. It's going to be more fun tomorrow.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Next target is 418 which is the highest ever 4th innings run chase in test history.

Jimmy was hoping to get there with a slog sweep!! :facepalm:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What about 410!? :cool:

Or 412!?!

That's it, England 289ao, I fancy Cook might have told Anderson we'll be declaring tonight anyway so swish away.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Tomorrow is well set up now, really looking forward to this

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
with 180+ overs left? I'm gad you are confident. Records are being broken in all forms of cricket, all round the world. Of course, England SHOULD win, but this is an unnecessarily risky way to go about it when we were in such a dominant position.

Aussies winning this would be something very, very unusual. Look at historic 4th innings winning scores - not just at Cardiff, but anywhere, ever. If England maintain the bowling discipline they showed in the first innings we'll win by 150-200.

....but am I just a teeny bit worried ? Of course....it's England FFS.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The Aussie odds are nuts - 400+ is hardly ever chased in a 4th innings.
It's raining lightly in Crickhowell (30 miles from Cardiff) at the moment, there could be some disruption tomorrow as well as Sunday.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Aussies winning this would be something very, very unusual. Look at historic 4th innings winning scores - not just at Cardiff, but anywhere, ever. If England maintain the bowling discipline they showed in the first innings we'll win by 150-200.

I think this is in the bag but.... It's England :facepalm:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

and my comment was made when the lead was just 367... and it's England FFS!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I think this is in the bag but.... It's England :facepalm:

I think this is in the bag but.... It's Australia :facepalm:

Any other side and I wouldn't be worried, but if there is one side that can grind you down and get 400+ over 2 full days, it's the Aussies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here