Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] First Ashes Test - England v Australia - Cardiff

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The rain on Sunday is now a big concern. According to forecasts the day is likely to start wet and continue that way well into the afternoon.

England just have to plough on, get through these 18 overs at a similar rate. The key is to keep positive, get a lead of 400 by close of play tonight. If the Aussies aren't batting by lunch tomorrow I fancy the weather will come to their rescue.

Light rain from 11.00 60% chance, only 50% chance of any rain from 13.00, and looking dry into the afternoon. Keep positive about the weather too please!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Buttler out... reverse sweeping Lyon... gloved to Haddin.

We were going along nicely at 43 from 10 overs... hope we don't lose momentum here.

236-6, lead 358

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Buttler out... reverse sweeping Lyon.

We were going along nicely at 43 from 10 overs... hope we don't lose momentum here.

236-6, lead 358

And boy was it an ugly looking dismissal. That shot, I hate that shot..... #purist

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is where it's handy having No.s 8 and 9 both with a test century to their name.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Right now, from looking 2nd best in this test match other than the first hour or so, Australia would be chuffed to bits to be chasing anything less than 400. Crucial part of the game now. We have got to edge past that 400 lead to feel anything like safe from losing this game.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Stokes drags on from Starc.. 7 down... lead 362... masses of time in the game... blimey :eek:

Declaration... :laugh:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Broad skies one to long-on - good catch coming forward by Hazlewood.

This is not going well, is it?

245-8, lead just 367

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Both Root and Bell bowled by the 89th ball faced while on 60. Unusual that!

Think we should start to have a go now and let Stokes and Buttler take complete charge. Might be risking only having a 350-375 lead but I think it would be a calculated risk

You may need to take responsibility for this collapse!!!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Calm down everyone, 367 is a huge final innings total to chase.

with 180+ overs left? I'm gad you are confident. Records are being broken in all forms of cricket, all round the world. Of course, England SHOULD win, but this is an unnecessarily risky way to go about it when we were in such a dominant position.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Right now, from looking 2nd best in this test match other than the first hour or so, Australia would be chuffed to bits to be chasing anything less than 400. Crucial part of the game now. We have got to edge past that 400 lead to feel anything like safe from losing this game.

This is the 1st test so Broad and Anderson are still relatively fresh, Stokes and Wood have plenty of bowling in them and we have Ali and Root for spin. With a bit of moisture and cloud cover on Day 5 I cannot see this Aussie line-up chasing 400 down. If anything, I don't think they have enough batting at No.s 8-11 to get them over the line.

That said, England have made a bit of a hash of the last hour with some pretty ugly shots from Buttler and Broad.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
England 253-8 :clap2:

lead 375. Moeen Ali being positive out there... 10 overs to go this evening.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
with 180+ overs left? I'm gad you are confident. Records are being broken in all forms of cricket, all round the world. Of course, England SHOULD win, but this is an unnecessarily risky way to go about it when we were in such a dominant position.
This is test cricket though; it doesn't matter about the overs left. Red swinging ball, no fielder or bowler restrictions, and most significantly, a day 4 and 4th innings pitch.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
This is test cricket though; it doesn't matter about the overs left. Red swinging ball, no fielder or bowler restrictions, and most significantly, a day 4 and 4th innings pitch.

and the most successful batting line-up in recent test history... on a wicket that has yielded well over 300 runs today.

I don't understand the point about fielding restrictions... surely we are not going to be playing for a draw over 180+ overs??

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
and the most successful batting line-up in recent test history... on a wicket that has yielded well over 300 runs today.

I don't understand the point about fielding restrictions... surely we are not going to be playing for a draw over 180+ overs??

You're right, it's less of an issue; but the unlimited overs that our strike bowlers can bowl is a significant difference. As for the wicket yielding 300 runs, it's also yielded 13 wickets.

Anderson and Broad will get plenty out of the pitch tomorrow, and Ali will hit the foot marks.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
You're right, it's less of an issue; but the unlimited overs that our strike bowlers can bowl is a significant difference. As for the wicket yielding 300 runs, it's also yielded 13 wickets.

Anderson and Broad will get plenty out of the pitch tomorrow, and Ali will hit the foot marks.

I fully hope and expect that England will win tomorrow... but we have made an unnecessary hash of it over the last hour. Disappointing from a position where we had our foot on their throats.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here