Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] First Ashes Test - England v Australia - Cardiff

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Interesting lack of appeal from Starc on Stokes... that was crashing into middle and leg. :laugh:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Joe Root 50* (66 balls, 6 fours) :clap2:

England 181-4, leading by 303 :clap2:

29.5 overs left in the day.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Just came in from the garden to see the first Root appeal (or non appeal). Can't believe the Aussies didn't go up for that as they usually go up for anything!

Well batted Root for the 50

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Joe Root passes his Test average score of 57.3 :clap2:

He really is in the form of his life!

191-4, lead 313

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Highest successful 4th innings chase on this ground is apparently 370, by Hampshire!

Bit of a non-stat really though as not much test history on this ground and the Hants chase would have been a 4 day game.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see that no Englishman has scored hundreds in both innings of an Ashes test for 68 years. Back then George VI was still on the throne and India was still ours.

Root is 40 runs away...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
England 203-4 (50.2 overs, RR4.03) :clap2:

leading by 325, with 22 overs remaining on Day 3... what a Test Match this is :)

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I see that no Englishman has scored hundreds in both innings of an Ashes test for 68 years. Back then George VI was still on the throne and India was still ours.

WOW, that is some stat. I would have never had thought that.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Root is 40 runs away...

Jesus that is a long time ago

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Root is 40 runs away...

Root gone... bowled Hazlewood 60

207-5, lead 329

As I said earlier, I would be amazed if we get close to thinking about a declaration.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Both Root and Bell bowled by the 89th ball faced while on 60. Unusual that!

Think we should start to have a go now and let Stokes and Buttler take complete charge. Might be risking only having a 350-375 lead but I think it would be a calculated risk

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Drinks in the final session of Day 3

England 216-5, leading by 338

Stokes 26* Buttler 3*

19 overs of twist and turn, thrust and counter-thrust left :)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Think we should start to have a go now and let Stokes and Buttler take complete charge. Might be risking only having a 350-375 lead but I think it would be a calculated risk

Why? There is absolutely no need to take any risk at this stage. We are rattling along at over 4 an over as it is, and there is so much time in this game.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

There is no real rush though is there? 338 lead, 19 overs left today, then 2 full days left. Just let them go at their own pace I reckon. Scoring 3 an over is going to see us around 400 in the lead tonight. Sensible batting, these two get us up to say 380 or so, then maybe start taking some risks.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Why? There is absolutely no need to take any risk at this stage. We are rattling along at over 4 an over as it is, and there is so much time in this game.

I just like us to be really positive and with possible rain on Sunday I think it's a bit of a safety net. Plus it would demoralise the Aussies bowlers more if we could whack a few to the boundary. Not talking 20/20 cricket just positive attacking cricket.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I just like us to be really positive and with possible rain on Sunday I think it's a bit of a safety net. Plus it would demoralise the Aussies bowlers more if we could whack a few to the boundary. Not talking 20/20 cricket just positive attacking cricket.

4.2 an over IS positive attacking cricket.

And in any case, even if rain wipes out an entire session, there will still be plenty of time to bowl them out.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The rain on Sunday is now a big concern. According to forecasts the day is likely to start wet and continue that way well into the afternoon.

England just have to plough on, get through these 18 overs at a similar rate. The key is to keep positive, get a lead of 400 by close of play tonight. If the Aussies aren't batting by lunch tomorrow I fancy the weather will come to their rescue.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
4.2 an over IS positive attacking cricket.

And in any case, even if rain wipes out an entire session, there will still be plenty of time to bowl them out.

You are probably right on the time left, I'm just a pessimist when it comes to British weather!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here