Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Tea on Day 3

England 149-3 (36 overs, RR 4.13), lead by 271

Bell 53* Root 31*

37 overs in the final session - I expect the game will continue to move on at the same crazy pace!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
At the start of the day, England could only have dreamed of being 271 runs ahead with 7 wickets in hand. Bell, Lyth and Root have now batted England into a proper match winning position.

And coming up is the true test of Cook's captaincy. I think he needs to back his bowlers a bit if indeed he does have a difficult decision to make tomorrow. If we can reach a lead of 475 by the middle of tomorrow's middle session, I hope he has the stones to declare and give his bowlers that extra half session (4.5) to get them out.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Give them a thumping defeat in the 1st test as it could destroy the Aussies

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
and 24 byes so far... not a great game for him, but I still wouldn't put it past him to be the thorn in England's side in the 2nd innings :)

Not so sure - since the last Ashes he's averaging 15 in tests. He's not the player he once was.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
At the start of the day, England could only have dreamed of being 271 runs ahead with 7 wickets in hand. Bell, Lyth and Root have now batted England into a proper match winning position.

And coming up is the true test of Cook's captaincy. I think he needs to back his bowlers a bit if indeed he does have a difficult decision to make tomorrow. If we can reach a lead of 475 by the middle of tomorrow's middle session, I hope he has the stones to declare and give his bowlers that extra half session (4.5) to get them out.

it would be a remarkable performance from England with the bat if a declaration becomes an issue considering the amount of time left in the match... 7 sessions!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Sounds like Starc is doing himself more damage every ball he bowls

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
it would be a remarkable performance from England with the bat if a declaration becomes an issue considering the amount of time left in the match... 7 sessions!

I'm not sure. With a healthy lead and these two well set, England can afford to bat attritionally and slowly if they wish. Regardless of the wickets column, England's lead could be well over 400 by lunchtime tomorrow. At that point, England would have batted for about a day and thoughts will turn to a declaration.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

One of the by-products of a positive "one day" batting mentality is that it makes defensive declarations a thing of the past.

i.e. You score 400 off 100 overs, the opposition get say 300 at 3.3 per over (90 overs), you then get another 400 off 100 overs. You have a lead of 500 and there's still more than a day and a half left - approx. 160 overs and 5 1/2 sessions left in the match.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Mitchell Johnson has a wicket.

Bell bowled for 60 (89 balls, 11 fours)

Well batted :clap2:

England 174-4, lead 292

Badger