Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] First Ashes Test - England v Australia - Cardiff

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
A career batting average of 36 vs Australia is - I'll grant you - unexceptional and ordinary, but there have been many top ranked batsmen with worse averages. On the other hand, he dominated the 2013 series and if one of your batsman performs like that they can carry the team through the series. And he's still going - only Botham has 5 Ashes series wins for England since 1950 so Bell will be looking to match that.

If anything I'd say Bell is underrated. Only Cook and Pietersen have more tons, only Cook has more scores of over 50. He's got tons against all 8 of the other test nations he's played against, at least 2 against all of them bar NZ. I'm a big fan.

In addition, at his best he's one of the best batsman to watch in world cricket. He's got all the shots and he isn't afraid to use them.

Given his ability, his average is a little on the low side. If only he had a bit of Steve Waugh about him, he'd be a great.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Bell chancing his arm... uppish drives through the covers and midwicket... followed by another beaut slog-sweep off Lyon

31* (33 balls, 7 fours)

91-3 (22 overs) as drinks are taken.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
A career batting average of 36 vs Australia is - I'll grant you - unexceptional and ordinary, but there have been many top ranked batsmen with worse averages. On the other hand, he dominated the 2013 series and if one of your batsman performs like that they can carry the team through the series. And he's still going - only Botham has 5 Ashes series wins for England since 1950 so Bell will be looking to match that.

If anything I'd say Bell is underrated. Only Cook and Pietersen have more tons, only Cook has more scores of over 50. He's got tons against all 8 of the other test nations he's played against, at least 2 against all of them bar NZ. I'm a big fan.

Hehe, that's what is so good about sport as there are so many opinions about the same subject.

I always liked Ashley Barnes for example but let's not open that can of worms....

Two more fours from Bell, I'm pleased he is currently proving me wrong :smile:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
agree - Boycott was moaning endlessly yesterday about it and how it would do nothing for the reputation of the game. Yeah right Geoff, a bit like your style of batting then, yes?
800+ runs and 23 wickets in two and a half days says to me that this is a decent cricket wicket.

I respect Boycott, but on this issue he's wrong!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
800+ runs and 23 wickets in two and a half days says to me that this is a decent cricket wicket.

I respect Boycott, but on this issue he's wrong!

To be fair, I think we were all thinking the same thing in the first over of the match when Starc bowled a half tracker that bounced twice on the way through to the keeper.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I cannot wait to get home to watch the evening session. Assuming that we should have built up a lead of about 270 by then, it should give the lower order license to really go after the Aussie bowling when they come in!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
50 partnership for Bell and Root :clap2:

52 runs, 10.4 overs, RR: 4.87 (Bell 21, Root 21)

England 125-3, lead 247

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
England lead by 251 :clap2:

129-3

Root slashing Watson over the slips for four!

All the hard work in the first inning for both teams is paying off now. Every run is going to hurt the Aussies now, especially the streaky runs :)

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
and Joe Root's 134, thanks to Brad Haddin, all the more so :laugh:

That was pretty much the difference between the 2 first innings scores as well :)

England haven't dropped a single catch this match (so far).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
and Joe Root's 134, thanks to Brad Haddin, all the more so :laugh:

I know there's a long way to go, but I like to think that the Root drop might be the Aussie "writing on the wall" moment a la Steve Harmison bowling that opening ball wide to Flintoff at 2nd slip in the 2006-07 whitewash series.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here