Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] First Ashes Test - England v Australia - Cardiff

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
How much of a lead will England require in order to win this match? I'd say 350, in which case England would need to reach 228ao here.

Nice little counter-punch here, England once again maintaining that "one day spirit" - run rate over 4.

Anything over 250 should be enough.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We've punched out the lower order this morning, and it's fair to say that Johnson, Lyon, Hazlewood and Starc don't have the look of a unit capable of hanging around that long. Oh to have tickets for tomorrow!

Gold from Cricinfo: "Quick as you like, game has change from Australia bowling dangerous bananas to England going dangerously bananas,"

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
What, the same Ian Bell that was voted Man Of The Series in Ashes 2013, the one who got 3 centuries and already has 4 Ashes series victories to his name? His test average vs Australia is a shade over 36 - 4 tons, 15 50s

Granted, his form since 2013 has been poor but a bit more respect for the guy please.

One excellent series I agree but when you look at his performances outside of that series I think he has been an average number 4 batsman. Considering all the runs he scored in the 2013 series do you think an average of 36 is particularly good for a high order batsman? I think he bats well when the team are performing but I don't think he is good as people have said he is over the years. Not a lack of respect, just an opinion. I respect that you will disagree :thumbsup:

Looking solid attached hot e moment though so hopefully he can prove me wrong. Trust me I'm not someone that will be pleased if he fails and therefore backs up my opinion

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
50 partnership for Lyth and Bell, under huge pressure, and in double quick time - just what the captain ordered! :clap2:

8.1 overs, RR: 6.12 (Bell 18, Lyth 28)

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Considering all the runs he scored in the 2013 series do you think an average of 36 is particularly good for a high order batsman? I think he bats well when the team are performing but I don't think he is good as people have said he is over the years.

Again, I don't necessarily disagree with the thread of what you are saying but the rest of the batting didn't really perform in that 2013 series. He was in at 30 odd for 3 on quite a few occasions.

His 36 is negatively impacted by 2 poor series against McGrath/ Warne et al.... Not too many made runs against those 2

Anyway, fingers crossed he cashes in here. Could be a match winner.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
How much of a lead will England require in order to win this match? I'd say 350, in which case England would need to reach 228ao here.

Nice little counter-punch here, England once again maintaining that "one day spirit" - run rate over 4.

A lot depends on the timing. 350 could be enough, but we also need to have a bit of time to get 10 Aussie wickets without giving them too much time to make the runs up. Stating the bleedin' obvious I know, but we need to be careful.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
That's a great catch from Clarke at slip, wide to his left... Lyth gone to Lyon for 37.

73-3, 195 lead

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It's swinging one way and the other... just when Lyth and Bell were on top, good control from Johnson and turn from Lyon... and the pressure is right back on England... great cricket to watch :clap2:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
One excellent series I agree but when you look at his performances outside of that series I think he has been an average number 4 batsman. Considering all the runs he scored in the 2013 series do you think an average of 36 is particularly good for a high order batsman? I think he bats well when the team are performing but I don't think he is good as people have said he is over the years. Not a lack of respect, just an opinion. I respect that you will disagree :thumbsup:

Looking solid attached hot e moment though so hopefully he can prove me wrong. Trust me I'm not someone that will be pleased if he fails and therefore backs up my opinion

A career batting average of 36 vs Australia is - I'll grant you - unexceptional and ordinary, but there have been many top ranked batsmen with worse averages. On the other hand, he dominated the 2013 series and if one of your batsman performs like that they can carry the team through the series. And he's still going - only Botham has 5 Ashes series wins for England since 1950 so Bell will be looking to match that.

If anything I'd say Bell is underrated. Only Cook and Pietersen have more tons, only Cook has more scores of over 50. He's got tons against all 8 of the other test nations he's played against, at least 2 against all of them bar NZ. He's also hit at least one ton every calendar year since 2005. I'm a big fan.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Again, I don't necessarily disagree with the thread of what you are saying but the rest of the batting didn't really perform in that 2013 series. He was in at 30 odd for 3 on quite a few occasions.

His 36 is negatively impacted by 2 poor series against McGrath/ Warne et al.... Not too many made runs against those 2

Anyway, fingers crossed he cashes in here. Could be a match winner.

Agree hopefully he can pull out an innings along with Root as if those two can put on another 75/100 between them it will put us in an excellent position.

Excellent catch from Clarke btw

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Fair play to the groundsman, draw the least likely result now. A win for either side still on. Wouldn't have thought that two days ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here