Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] First Ashes Test - England v Australia - Cardiff

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I don't think you can overstate the importance of your last sentence there - they've all bowled very very well. But Cook's best decision was to persist with Moeen Ali - at a time when chanceless batting was the order of the day, he gambled on Australia getting themselves out by trying to smash the slow bowler out of the attack so that our seamers were forced to bowl more than we'd have liked. And Australia obliged.

Yup, definitely agree with the point he was brave with Mooen. Still not totally convinced he knows what he's doing with spin bowlers but it was much, much better.

Better field placings and better plans - I reckon that's a combination of coach, captain and bowlers. But credit to Cook.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Definitely England's day that: 166 behind with their best batsmen gone, wicket becoming less predictable, and the ball will probably do a bit more through the air as well for the first hour tomorrow.

I predict a 60 run 1st innings lead.

:eek: I'll have what you're having. No wait, I'll just stick to the class B.

Seems those drugs made me more right than you thought ;-)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Sophia Gardens was the perfect place to start this series off from an England perspective. The pitch has been grumbled about by the 'experts' in the commentary box, but it's suited us and not the Australians. No need to give them any sort of advantage.

Loving it.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Sophia Gardens was the perfect place to start this series off from an England perspective. The pitch has been grumbled about by the 'experts' in the commentary box, but it's suited us and not the Australians. No need to give them any sort of advantage.

Loving it.

agree - Boycott was moaning endlessly yesterday about it and how it would do nothing for the reputation of the game. Yeah right Geoff, a bit like your style of batting then, yes?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
What's the betting Australia rip through our top order ..can't see Mitchell going wicket less this time

He probably won't go wicketless, but he doesn't seem to have the intelligence or control to be able to do anything other than bang it in, unlike the other 2 Aussie fast bowlers (and England's bowlers) who realised that the ball needs to be put up there to give it a chance to do something.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
What's the betting Australia rip through our top order ..can't see Mitchell going wicket less this time

I doubt it. This is a purpose made anti-Mitch-Pitch, he is getting quite frustrated! Hopefully he'll end up with sweet FA. If we can get to lunch without a loss, I think we can finish the day with a 300+ lead. The batsman seem to have taken some confidence from the amazing bowling. We'll declare tomorrow morning with a 400+ lead then smash them for under 200 with Murray into the Wimbledon final and Bobby signing the contract! Optimism my friend, optimism! This could be one hell of a weekend!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Bugger. Was hoping to at least get to lunch with all wickets in tact. Still not to worry, we were 43/3 in the first innings don't forget :)

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Lyth survives a big shout... given not out... and it was just clipping top of leg stump... same as Watson :)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
He probably won't go wicketless, but he doesn't seem to have the intelligence or control to be able to do anything other than bang it in, unlike the other 2 Aussie fast bowlers (and England's bowlers) who realised that the ball needs to be put up there to give it a chance to do something.

It's like Starc wanted to show you all about my amazeballs cricket insight and knowledge: a full ball that swings away gets the first England wicket.

We'll probably not get many more than 250, but that (along with the 1st innings lead) will easily be enough to defend on the 4th and 5th days.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Starc to Ballance last over before lunch... playing and missing at a great outswinger first up... hope he can survive :eek:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Lunch - Day 3

England 21-1, leading by 143 with 9 wickets in hand.

A great morning for England... and an exciting afternoon ahead. Loving this Ashes series already :clap2:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It would nice if Australia's tail end could hang around for half an hour as long as they score next to no runs.

1) Fewer overs to face for our openers before lunch
2) Take the shine off this new ball. If their bowlers bowl like Anderson it is going to get difficult.

I've read this five times, and I still can't get my head round what you meant by point 2?

Unless you thought that the new ball England finished with would be used into the next innings??

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Although they may get to use it again if an England player smashes the current ball into the river, or out of shape, when it's a similar number of overs old.

And if the white box bought to the umpire doesn't have a better match

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here