[Cricket] First Ashes Test - England v Australia - Cardiff

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Definitely England's day that: 166 behind with their best batsmen gone, wicket becoming less predictable, and the ball will probably do a bit more through the air as well for the first hour tomorrow.

I predict a 60 run 1st innings lead.
:eek: I'll have what you're having. No wait, I'll just stick to the class B.

Stumpy Tim

Definitely England's day that: 166 behind with their best batsmen gone, wicket becoming less predictable, and the ball will probably do a bit more through the air as well for the first hour tomorrow.

I predict a 60 run 1st innings lead.
Not sure it was anyone's day really. Honours even and I predict a small England lead - 26 runs to be precise

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Not sure it was anyone's day really. Honours even and I predict a small England lead - 26 runs to be precise

Think you're being a bit pessimistic; how can that not be England's day? 80 for the last 3 wickets was a good start; knocking over their top 5 with them still 166 behind is a situation Cook will be very happy with.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
A good idea of the grounds men to make the pitch slow, to negate the Aussie quick bowlers, especially Johnson, who was almost unplayable in the last Ashes series.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
With only Johnson, Starc & Hazelwood to come, I would hope for somewhere around a 100 lead. Massive session tomorrow morning that could well define the result of this test. We skittle them out quickly we are in a very strong position. Aussies hang around until lunch and into the afternoon session and it has draw written all over it.

Going to stick my neck out here - Australia will not win this test.

Edit: bugger, forgot Haddin :facepalm:

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Aussies hang around until lunch and into the afternoon session and it has draw written all over it.

Going to stick my neck out here - Australia will not win this test.
Draw? If the Aussies hang around into the afternoon session we'll be half way through the test and 2 innings down - that doesn't look like a draw to me, and if the Aussies make it to the afternoon they will be full of confidence and favourites to win.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Draw? If the Aussies hang around into the afternoon session we'll be half way through the test and 2 innings down - that doesn't look like a draw to me, and if the Aussies make it to the afternoon they will be full of confidence and favourites to win.

Agree. Unless England goes through the Aussies tomorrow morning, then the 3rd innings will be crucial with us batting under pressure. Bat badly and were loose, bat well and Cook gets the choice of settling for a draw or trying to win it.
I make the Aussies favourites before start of play....we'll see. Should be good stuff whatever.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Weather set fair in Wales... ready for the crucial third day in this First Test Match.

264-5 (70 overs), trailing by 166... it could go either way or stay in the balance

Come on England... let's have a great morning and take control of this match here and now! :thumbsup:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
a wicket with the old ball would be nice, but how we bowl with the new ball is going to be the key moment!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
YES... HE'S GOT 'IM... clipping top of leg... stays with umpires call !!! :clap2:

That is the perfect start for England :)

265-6

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
CRACKING start :clap2:
Umpire just about got it right

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Great start now clean up the tail enders

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Crikey - thought that one was going to be too high!

Get Haddin quickly and we'll be in a great a position.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Great bowling from Broad... right on the spot all through that over with the old ball... and now Root at a funky third slip too... good start to the day for England :thumbsup:

Haddin is the key now...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports