Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] First Ashes Test - England v Australia - Cardiff

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
ROOOOOOOOT....unfortunately just got out for a magnificent 134.

Class player and I would hazard a guess that he is probably the best batsman in the world at the moment.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
280-5 with 18 overs to play... needs a good effort from Stokes, Buttler and Ali to ensure that it is honours even at the close.

I forgot Moeen is still there too. On paper, there's batting quite a long way down the order then. Though Moeen has barely been in form lately.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Class player and I would hazard a guess that he is probably the best batsman in the world at the moment.

Steve Smith might argue, but I take your point.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
How many runs will Root score in his Test career?

I can see him getting 10,000 runs. He's got a great temperament, great personality and plays in a naturally positive way but has excellent technique. The only thing that could affect his form would be the burden of captaincy.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

You may be right, although Steve Smith has been performing similar heroics for Australia.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I can see him getting 10,000 runs. He's got a great temperament, great personality and plays in a naturally positive way but has excellent technique. The only thing that could affect his form would be the burden of captaincy.

...and the fragility of his back, which will be a problem the older he gets. I can't remember seeing an England player look like he is going to get runs every time he steps out to bat in all forms of the game....maybe KP at his best.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What's with the sssshing gestures from Starc?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Stokes has done his job with the bat there. If these two can survive for this last hour then England will be very happy with their day's work.

At the start of the day the bookies had England's par score at 347.5 so we're 50 away from that. I'm sure Cook would have wanted 375 and, ideally, 400+.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bring on The Beard.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ali 6?? 13 off 5 balls?? Block man, block!

England now 4 runs per over 312 off 78. True to their word they've brought a touch of the one-day side to the test team today.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There is a trap set for Ali. A couple more short ones and he might well give another chance.

As certain as anything in sport :lol:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
50 partnership Ali and Buttler :clap2:

8.3 overs, RR: 5.88 (Ali 26, Buttler 24)

England 343-6 (85 overs)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Johnson getting chopsy with Moeen :lol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Johnson has 2 overs to salvage something from his day.

To end Day 1 with England's best batsman having hit a big ton and Australia's most fearsome bowler on 0-100-odd off 21 overs will calm many nerves.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Shame to lose Buttler so late.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Close of play - Day 1

England 343-7 (88 overs, RR 3.9)

Ali 26* Broad 0*

A pretty good recovery from 43-3 and Root being dropped 2nd ball in the 15th over.

Better than many expected from England - although the pitch has a lot to do with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here