Firework factory fire near Ringmer

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trish

Jul 5, 2003
According to the factory owner's brother - the whole factory has "gone up". Two firemen have been seriously injured.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Major fire at fireworks factory

A major fire has broken out at a fireworks factory in East Sussex.
Sussex Police said firefighters from the county were called to an industrial estate between Ringmer and Golden Cross at 1350 GMT.

A number of fire engines are at the scene, and witnesses have spoken of seeing smoke from several miles away.

Police have declared the fire a major incident and are evacuating the area. It is not known if there are any casualties. More details soon.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Running the story on New 24 and asking for pics. Sounds pretty major. I saw footage of a Durch fireworks factory going up a few months ago and the ferocity was astonishing.

I was driving into Lewes at about 2.10pm this afternoon and was overtaken in the Cuilfail tunnel by two fire appliances from Brighton heading off in the direction of Ringmer.

I heard the explosion when I got back home to Firle at about 2.50pm.

The fireworks establishment that I know isn't "between Ringmer and Golden Cross" (as reported by the BBC), but between Ringmer and Halland, near the Gliding Club.

Lord Bracknell said:
The fireworks establishment that I know isn't "between Ringmer and Golden Cross" (as reported by the BBC), but between Ringmer and Halland, near the Gliding Club.
That's the one. Martin Winter's place.

Latest from the BBC:-

Major fire at fireworks factory

A major fire has broken out at a fireworks factory in East Sussex.

Sussex Police said firefighters from the county were called to an industrial estate at Halland, between Lewes and Hailsham at 1350 GMT.

A number of fire engines are at the scene, and witnesses have spoken of seeing smoke from several miles away.

Police have declared the fire a major incident and are evacuating the area. According to reports, some people have been injured.

Six ambulances, 10 fire engines, and an air ambulance are at the scene.

John Winter, whose brother owns the factory, told BBC News 24 there had been "an almighty bang, and the place shook".

He said his brother and sons had managed to get out of the factory safely.

"The place is still burning, but no-one is doing anything," he said.

Tiles and windows had been blown into neighbouring houses, Mr Winter added.

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Lord Bracknell said:
A major fire has broken out at a fireworks factory in East Sussex. Sussex Police said firefighters from the county were called to an industrial estate at Halland, between Lewes and Hailsham at 1350 GMT. A number of fire engines are at the scene

Good luck boys and girls :thumbsup:

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I was walking the dog out in the fields where there's pretty much nothing between us and Ringmer and I noticed a deal of black smoke from that neck of the woods. This was followed by the most almighty explosion which sent a distinct tremor that could be felt through the earth despite us being several miles away.

Oddly enough, given that what's stored in that particular factory, the explosion produced absolutely nothing of a fireworky nature.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Latest picture from BBC:

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Lord Bracknell said:
The factory's website is here

if i place an order on their site today am i likely to get them in time for xmas?

Or is it worth waiting to see if there will be smoke damage sale on soon

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
There's probably lots of smoke-damaged stock on sale.But how many miles are you prepared to travel to pick up the bits? Only I suspect most of what was in there has been literally, cast to the winds.

Springal said:
if i place an order on their site today am i likely to get them in time for xmas?

Or is it worth waiting to see if there will be smoke damage sale on soon
I think some of them have been dispatched early.

Personally, I'd use Parcel Force. But they can be a bit slow at this time of year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports