Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Firefox

Mar 13, 2008
Mine has been fine ever since I got it (unlike IE which froze every time I tried to use it). But today this vista security thing keeps popping up saying it is dangerous to use and what not, so I look and my firewall is turned off and it wont let me turn it back on with out registering and paying, which I don't really want to do, so is there any free firewall programs that will stop this silly message from coming up all the time?

FLOG GNAW

Banned
Sep 21, 2009
Under Your Skin.
You have a virus :)

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Firefox released an update a week early today after finding a fairly large vulnerability in their recently released, brand new, faster, 'more secure' version.

Everyone should now be running 3.6.2. If you aren't, upgrade.

This may have nothing to do with what you are experiencing, but it's good to know.

Mar 13, 2008
it also wont let me open AVG. instead it opens the vista thingy which tells me I have loads but wont let me remove any of them.

FLOG GNAW

Banned
Sep 21, 2009
Under Your Skin.
it also wont let me open AVG. instead it opens the vista thingy which tells me I have loads but wont let me remove any of them.

I'll say it again... You have a virus. It happened to me. :dunce:

Mar 13, 2008
ok, how do I rid myself of it

FLOG GNAW

Banned
Sep 21, 2009
Under Your Skin.
Dunno, my mate did it for me.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Firefox seems to be the only thing that works for me. Something about not recognising an internet connection... No idea. I gave up Computing after a year at Uni.

Apart from the update that didn't work and I had to do a system restore. Weird.

Oh and I have no Malware as all downloads suggest I don't have an internet connection, despite downloading it... What?

I had a similar virus that coerced me into buying some software - yes, I am thick - and that still didn't help. Ended up wiping the whole thing and starting again. I would shut down if I were you and get some professional help, if you are a technophobe.

liverpool_one

Feb 12, 2004
Liverpool, United Kingdom
when you first switch it on and see makers logo keep pressing the f8 key and you will be presented with a menu safe mode etc, at the top of menu it will say repair your computer. highlight this and press enter you will then be taken to a consol with the option to restore pc to an earlier time. restore pc back to a date before the problem happened. it is hit and miss depending on what version of the scam program you have picked up.

warlingham seagull

Jul 28, 2004
Warlingham
as Liverpool One says - do a system restore. Go back to a time when you knew you were OK. It worked for me. Also try downloading malwarebytes - free download - which seems to be good at detecting this malware.
Good luck

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Firefox is my preferred choice of browser weapon, and I've only just discovered the Backgrounds thanks to the latest 3.6 update!

cjwoolven

Jun 4, 2008
I Had this before, With a name like 'Vista Guardian' or something.
I ran anti-malware programs and got rid of whatever was bugging my computer, and is fine now.
However, a more simple way is to just wipe it completly and start afresh.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
The German government has just advised its citizens not to use Firefox until a new version comes out because of security concerns.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
i had the same thing. google it and it tells you how to get rid of it..

basically you want to d/l a program called malware bytes. you will have to d/l this from another pc as you cant get on to ie. so d/l it put it on a memory stick and in to your pc . then when its d/l dont just run it as normal . find malware bytes, right click it and "run as administrator" as the virus can often disable it. that should sort it.

but as i said google it.

it6s not a really bad virus , its just annoying and basically tries to get you to pay money to upgrade this bogus program by saying your computer is infected.

good luck

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
This is one of the reasons I use Ubuntu at home. I actually got this on my windows for work, and it totally screwed my system.

I run Windows 7 but Snow Leopard, Unbuntu and XP under VM. I don't get these problems as I buy a decent AV and spywatch killers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here