Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Fire doors on houses converted into flats

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I have no idea but I get the impression that this is an aftermath of Grenfell as I cannot see anywhere that it is a legal requirement to have fire doors on your flat door unless it is a purpose built block of flats, hence my starting the thread. She has a friend who is a fireman and apparently it is the Fire Brigade who make the recommendations anyway. She is waiting for him to respond.

Thanks to all those that have responded to my initial post.

I believe it is more the aftermath of the Lacknall fire (2009).

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/mar/28/lakanal-house-fire-deaths-prevented

The report showed that old PVC type window frames burnt out within 5 minutes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakanal_House_fire

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This place is such a font of knowledge I thought I’d ask. My daughter, who lives in a flat in an old three storey house, has been told by the committee that administers the place that she is legally obliged to have a fire door on the entry to her flat. It seems from what I have seen online that the communal front door does indeed need to be a fire door, but it seems there is no legal requirement to have a fire door on the door to your flat, if it is not shared.

Any one know the facts on this?

Thanks

Is she a renter or leaseholder? If the former then surely the responsibility is with the landlords. If the latter then get it fitted. Presumably, you don't have to do the legal minimum if safety is involved!

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Owner and has the flat on the market so is reluctant to spend money unless she has to but obviously will if she stays.

I would imagine any level of survey, purchase lender/ buyer would identify this as an issue. This could slow up any purchase.

Many reasons to get it done.

Makes any sale easier, probably a selling point, needs to be done anyway.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
does the wall regulation apply retrospectively? 10's of thousands of flats in converted buildings wont be up to spec, or more to the point certified as such.

No it doesn’t, but should. Who knows what people have built in the past. Lots of social are having to sort this issue out though. I’ve seen some horrors even on new developments.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Assuming you are able bodied I think it is far more beneficial to have a fast means of exit and a bloody loud fire alarm. Particularly in converted older Victorian buildings.

Who in their right mind would sit behind a door in a fire saying to them selves 'how long will this last?

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
The prime purpose of the fire door to the flat is to contain any fire within that flat and so maintain the 30 minute rating of all communal landings, hallways and stairwells that are the escape routes. That is why they always open inwards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here