Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Fiona Bruce. Please let this be the end.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You're alright thanks. I've never watched morning TV since Zig and Zag and I replaced the Today programme with music during lockdown. I'd advise everyone to. It goes much better with coffee and is much better for your mental health.
So true…….

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Ok after watching that clip and at the risk of being slammed I would like to comment on what I perceive to be Bruce's motive. Johnson is described as a wife beater, which brings with it the connotation of someone who repeatedly and systematically abuses their partner, Bruce is pointing out that Yes he did hit her, yes his wife has claimed that her nose was broken and that those who know the couple have stated that this incident was not part of a continuous form of behaviour. I get what she is trying to do, put the situation into context, but I also acknowledge that it does seem like she is defending the behavior which I don't think she is. As egregious as breaking your partners nose in a moment of anger is, I feel, and clearly so does Bruce that this act of violence falls into a different category than what is generally perceived as 'wife beater"

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ok after watching that clip and at the risk of being slammed I would like to comment on what I perceive to be Bruce's motive. Johnson is described as a wife beater, which brings with it the connotation of someone who repeatedly and systematically abuses their partner, Bruce is pointing out that Yes he did hit her, yes his wife has claimed that her nose was broken and that those who know the couple have stated that this incident was not part of a continuous form of behaviour. I get what she is trying to do, put the situation into context, but I also acknowledge that it does seem like she is defending the behavior which I don't think she is. As egregious as breaking your partners nose in a moment of anger is, I feel, and clearly so does Bruce that this act of violence falls into a different category than what is generally perceived as 'wife beater"
Fiona Bruce is an ambassador for Refuge. She should know better that it is never a one off. Anybody who has had any experience of DV will not excuse it as a one off.
It is GBH not just a slap. Two women die every week at the hands of their spouse or partner.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
The breaking of the nose may have been a one off, but not necessarily the domestic abuse. And it's hardly for the friends to say what went on behind the Johnson's closed doors or how often it happened. I doubt SJ indulged in that behaviour while his friends were round for drinks.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
How many people getting their knickers in a twist over Lineker are equally outraged that the moderator of the BBC's primary political show is married to someone who has been paid to advertise for the Tories?
Just for balance, Jo Coburn is married to someone who worked for the Labour government. Makes the Lineker thing even more bizarre.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I believe her being treated for a broken nose was a medical fact. But carry on :shrug:

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
The breaking of the nose may have been a one off, but not necessarily the domestic abuse. And it's hardly for the friends to say what went on behind the Johnson's closed doors or how often it happened. I doubt SJ indulged in that behaviour while his friends were round for drinks.
And you have evidence that there is a pattern of domestic abuse or are you just making assumptions to fit a narrative you like

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Fiona Bruce is an ambassador for Refuge. She should know better that it is never a one off. Anybody who has had any experience of DV will not excuse it as a one off.
It is GBH not just a slap. Two women die every week at the hands of their spouse or partner.
Really? lets say two siblings get into a row and one gets punched does this represent sibling abuse or is it well out of order but a once off all the same. I am not defending what happened rather putting it into context given the accompanying evidence, as was Bruce

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Really? lets say two siblings get into a row and one gets punched does this represent sibling abuse or is it well out of order but a once off all the same. I am not defending what happened rather putting it into context given the accompanying evidence, as was Bruce
Fiona Bruce used hearsay ‘his friends say it was a one off’

The guest on QT used a documented fact, and it is also documented that Charlotte Wahl, said it happened many times, resulting in her breakdown and time in a psychiatric hospital.

That’s the context.

To put it another way, if I got caught shoplifting today, I would rightly be called a thief, even if I pleaded it was a one off.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Never, wow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here