Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Finnish Musicians

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I like it too, gives the impression of an orchestra coming over the hill , then disappearing over the next one. Great sounds.

My favourite though is Finlandia. It would tug on the heartstrings of even the most bed hardened whore. Immense piece of music.

TNBA

TTF

Agree about Finlandia.

I had a conversation recently with the person who until recently orchestrated most of the Youth orchestra stuff in Southampton about the Karelia Suite. I voiced the opinion that I always fear it might be a bit hackneyed, but that it is rescued from that just because it is so good. She completely agreed. Some extremely well known themes in it, going from the quietly lyrical through to a full orchestra giving it large to the extent that would be in danger of blowing any heavy metal rock band off the stage.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Has anybody mentioned Sibelius. The Karelia Suite is and always has been one of my favourite pieces of music.

Wonderful music that I believe he wrote concerning his honeymoon. Must have been some honeymoon! Really lovely piece that is full of new found joy.

I love Sibelius generally. His symphonies are great. Primordial, pure and fresh, like cold mountain water straight from the spring.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
The Leningrad Cowboys.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'll start with the amazing Kimmo Pohjonen

[YT]Kw89so4gEZs[/YT]

Great call :thumbsup: Once saw him live at the Gardner Centre, Sussex University. Amazing night!, he's a bit of a nutter.

May I recommend Ulla Pirttijarvi to the house. Well actually she's a Sami (even better :)) but a Finnish one if you like.

I have her album - Mattarahku Askai.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here