Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Finishing the Championship

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There are over 100 matches still to be played in the Championship, and not a whole load of TV money at stake. In fact, for quite a few clubs it'll almost certainly cost more to play than not. I'm not sure there is the same appetite (motivation/££££) for the Championship to complete (as there is for the EPL). Personally, I can't see the Championship being completed - they could well decide placings on a Points/Game basis (no change to placings - everyone has played 37 games).

And even if the Championship could play their games, how would you decide promotion and relegation between the Championship and League 1? And the league 1 and league 2?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The obvious answer to this is to accept that the 2020-2021 season is entirely scrapped, and you play the remaining games of the 19-20 season roughly March/April/May 2021 and then back to normal for 2021-2022.

That way you avoid any legal action, as the games can be played under same rules and conditions.

Financial issues for lower clubs in the interim could be under written by the Government and then clawed back from future tv monies as a condition of re-starting.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Agreed, guess you could just extend your idea downwards?

Great idea though......can you now resolve promotion and relegation for the rest of the leagues please?

To be honest I'm all out of ideas!

You could do the same idea for promotion and relegation in every division. Bottom 6-8 have a play off. 6 teams would work the same as promotion - the three 'winners' stay up. If you did the bottom eight the winners of the quater finals would stay up and then the losing four would go into a straight four team play off with the winner staying up.

There you go, I've solved lockdown football.:rock:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
To be honest I'm all out of ideas!

You could do the same idea for promotion and relegation in every division. Bottom 6-8 have a play off. 6 teams would work the same as promotion - the three 'winners' stay up. If you did the bottom eight the winners of the quater finals would stay up and then the losing four would go into a straight four team play off with the winner staying up.

There you go, I've solved lockdown football.:rock:

I’m not convinced Southampton, NINE points above Norwich, would see it very favourably.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I’m not convinced Southampton, NINE points above Norwich, would see it very favourably.

The premier league would probably be bottom 6 only. 17th v 20th and 18th v 19th in round one. Then 15th and 16th against the respective winners in round two. The losers in round two get one more shot at survival in a final death match. Not perfect but exciting.

Obviously won't happen but if it did it'd definitely go on my C.V that I saved football. Unless it ended up relegating Brighton:down:

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville

Fulham are a wild card here as they have to play away to both Leeds and West Brom. It would be very interesting if they somehow pipped one of the two to promotion, with everyone having claimed that automatic promotion is done and dusted. Although I can't see it happening as Fulham are ridiculously inconsistent and could conceivably win both those games then lose at home to a team in the bottom three.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
If the PL season is completed, I don't see how any club can refuse relegation because they don't like the way the Championship teams have been promoted. How the Championship sorts out who gets promoted is their problem. This really is Norwich clutching at straws.

Nonsense.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I worry for football in the lower leagues

I worry for all sorts of industries in what is likely to become the recessions of all recessions. Aerospace, for one – arguably larger than football and employing – directly or indirectly – more people than the football world. But no-one is having 'project restart' meetings about getting planes flying again.

What I take from this shitshow is that very little REALLY matters beyond your health and the health of your loved ones. If football clubs went under yes, it would be absolutely terrible, but the end of the world? Nah.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The obvious answer to this is to accept that the 2020-2021 season is entirely scrapped, and you play the remaining games of the 19-20 season roughly March/April/May 2021 and then back to normal for 2021-2022.

That way you avoid any legal action, as the games can be played under same rules and conditions.

Financial issues for lower clubs in the interim could be under written by the Government and then clawed back from future tv monies as a condition of re-starting.

I floated this idea a while back somewhere. Effectively bin football for a calendar year and start around the same time in 2021 that it was stopped in 2020, retaining the same fixture list.

Although the issues will probably be with players out of contract, clubs not having the money to keep paying players and unrest from the fans who want it back NOW!!!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I worry for all sorts of industries in what is likely to become the recessions of all recessions. Aerospace, for one – arguably larger than football and employing – directly or indirectly – more people than the football world. But no-one is having 'project restart' meetings about getting planes flying again.

What I take from this shitshow is that very little REALLY matters beyond your health and the health of your loved ones. If football clubs went under yes, it would be absolutely terrible, but the end of the world? Nah.

As it’s a thread about non PL football it seems relevant to post re concerns over that area of the game ..doesn’t mean not concerned about other matters.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I floated this idea a while back somewhere. Effectively bin football for a calendar year and start around the same time in 2021 that it was stopped in 2020, retaining the same fixture list.

Although the issues will probably be with players out of contract, clubs not having the money to keep paying players and unrest from the fans who want it back NOW!!!

I heard yesterday that SKy want money back for lost revenue to date, regardless of whether the season completes.
Adding a whole season, from the current contract, will only increase the refund Sky will be expecting/ monies they refuse to pay.

I agree that it is the sensible way to go (to avoid legal ramifications from affected clubs), but I ca't see it being promoted by anyone (until it becomes the only option left).

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Ryanair are talking about starting 40% of their flights by July, British Airways have been lobbying the government about the impact 2 weeks quarantine will have on them and the industry, as soon as borders start to re-open over the summer then flights will too. Every industry is trying to protect itself as much as it can and will, football just seems to take more of a kicking than most because of how much media attention and journalists there are covering it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I heard yesterday that SKy want money back for lost revenue to date, regardless of whether the season completes.
Adding a whole season, from the current contract, will only increase the refund Sky will be expecting/ monies they refuse to pay.

I agree that it is the sensible way to go (to avoid legal ramifications from affected clubs), but I ca't see it being promoted by anyone (until it becomes the only option left).

And Sky is perfectly within its rights to ask for the money back because they have not been given the product or service it has paid for. It's a harsh reality, but that's business.

But I totally agree, what I'm proposing will never happen because the football industry/community seems to be so inward facing that it cannot possibly look at the bigger picture. In their mind, football simply HAS to come back one way or another. To me, that's absolutely bonkers, but I'm clearly in the minority...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Ryanair are talking about starting 40% of their flights by July, British Airways have been lobbying the government about the impact 2 weeks quarantine will have on them and the industry, as soon as borders start to re-open over the summer then flights will too. Every industry is trying to protect itself as much as it can and will, football just seems to take more of a kicking than most because of how much media attention and journalists there are covering it.

I've got friends who have been made redundant by BA with very little notice – it is taking a kicking too, believe me.

Football might be taking a kicking, but it is bringing it on itself, given the media attention that it is getting. Hours and hours every day are dedicated to solving the 'problems' or debating when and how football should (not even will) come back. It is putting itself out there to be kicked but, I would argue, that most people ARE behind it coming back – they just can't agree on how.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
But isnt that attention because the media, print, radio, sky etc, need football content to sell advertising, bringing their money etc - so it's at least as much about that industry as football...

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Isn't there some supercomputer that could solve this. I'm sure at the beginning of every season it gets fired up to tell us where every team will finish, so can't we just use that?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
And Sky is perfectly within its rights to ask for the money back because they have not been given the product or service it has paid for. It's a harsh reality, but that's business.

But I totally agree, what I'm proposing will never happen because the football industry/community seems to be so inward facing that it cannot possibly look at the bigger picture. In their mind, football simply HAS to come back one way or another. To me, that's absolutely bonkers, but I'm clearly in the minority...

I don’t think you are in the minority. Most posters on NSC seem to think the same and the YouGov ‘morale’ survey of the general population had an overwhelming result. The minority of football money men and fans who just want to watch football are pretty noisy though.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
If they do restart we should def recall Ben White at the end of his loan to see if it derails Leeds promotion. I actually think playing behind closed doors likely to have the biggest effect on them too. Here's hoping anyway.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I don’t think you are in the minority. Most posters on NSC seem to think the same and the YouGov ‘morale’ survey of the general population had an overwhelming result. The minority of football money men and fans who just want to watch football are pretty noisy though.

I’d agree to a point ..although would say surveys are always dependant on how a question is framed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here