Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Financial restrictions at the Albion hampering the playing budget?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
People are forgetting something rather important in all of this. Another 2-3 seasons of only finishing 10th or so on the championship will mean that less people will want to buy season tickets which in turn will mean less guaranteed income per season.

It's very important that within the next 3 years we are serious contenders to get promoted to the Premier league otherwise people will stop coming and sponsorship will be harder to attract.

However I don't think we have to break the bank to do go up...Swansea, Norwich and reading have proven that...but we do need to spend wisely on players who won't cost an arm and a leg which is what I think Gus and TB are trying to do.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I just dont see any relevance with accounts at Withdean and those at Falmer though. They are uncomparable in meaning and impact on budget.

True, but I was replying to your original post which said the OP was hearsay.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Wow, I have just read through all of this amd from what I can figure out, we had a bigger income than we origanally thought we would, and the transport bill, and electric bill was bigger than anticipated.

Was our better than expected income lower than our unrxpected electric and transport bill increase, perhaps that would tell us something.

Last edited:

simballs

Jun 11, 2012
Southwick
Wow, I have just read through all of this amd from what I can figure out, we had a bigger income than we origanally thought we would, and the transport bill, and electric bill was bigger than anticipated.

Was our better than expected income lower than our unrxpected electric and transport bill, perhaps that would tell us something.

Possible but it is impossible to tell as we don't know the budgeted figures. If this was true it may come up in the next accounting round in the directors report but i would say unlikely.
However, any problems in funding is currently being met, willingly by TB. They will be as loans but how much will depend on how deep his pockets are. Therefore he would want to control costs significantly and the playing squad is an obvious one.

It is pure conjecture at the moment.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
The way I see things, TB wants to put the Albion in the Premier League, and to see the club gain all the riches that come with that. I have no doubt whatsoever that's the plan, look at our beautiful stadium and the plans for the state of the art training centre. He is no doubt well aware that will all come at a cost, and will cut our cloth accordingly. That said, between him and Gus they have worked out what is required playing budget wise to get there, as we won't get there with the current squad players we have.

I can't see the rug being pulled just yet. RELAX!!!

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Another thing being completely ignored is once costs from a full first season are understood it is easy to cut where appropriate. I heard lots of the hospitality staff were cut, the transport supllement has been added and im sure plenty of other operating costs will be reduced to get things on track without the need to diminish the playing budget. This is obviously why we are getting new people in to manage the commercial aspects of the club.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
TB is VERY unhappy with what has happened. QUOTE]

He has every reason to feel unhappy about fans stealing from the club. If he's suprised it happened given the lack of policing by the transport providers I'd say that was bad planning and a bit naive.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

It should have been the bus and train companies to ensure people had a travel vouchers before getting on, plain and simple.
I wonder how many people got free transport last season? What's done is done, but is was unfair on the people who bought the travel vouchers.

Nobody can complain about paying that little bit extra this time around.

Last edited by a moderator:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
This is why threads go to 60 pages... I heard from a source close to the club that they were astounded by how much revenue they had generated and that the money-making potential at the new stadium far exceeded their original forecasts. The club undoubtedly haemorrhaged cash at Withdean but banking 18,000 season ticket sales and all the ancillary revenue at The Amex (including two decent cup runs and a few televised appearances) had put the club in rude health despite start up costs.

This is nearer the truth... sorry EP but you are way off the mark with your original post...

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Sorry but I've read all 12 pages so far but still cannot see any evidence that the op is correct. It's just hearsay and speculation. TB and Gus had a meeting where TB told Gus this years transfer budget and Gus was happy. So there is no way anything is hampering the playing budget.
All this talk of buses trains and pies, is just incidental. I'm sure the club will look at ways of becoming more financially efficient after the first season at the Amex. But to suggest BHAFC is losing money or TB has somehow slashed the playing budget without telling Gus is nonsense.
So my conclusion is this thread is nonsense.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Another thing being completely ignored is once costs from a full first season are understood it is easy to cut where appropriate. I heard lots of the hospitality staff were cut, the transport supllement has been added and im sure plenty of other operating costs will be reduced to get things on track without the need to diminish the playing budget. This is obviously why we are getting new people in to manage the commercial aspects of the club.

I'm totally with you on this.

Sales of everything have far exceeded expectation, the issue with people not buying travel vouchers has been addressed by the Hut Tax and I trust Tony Bloom to make the right decisions going forward from here. As long as the playing budget provides for some half decent players to give me an enjoyable afternoon out I'm happy-anything else is a bonus.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
It should have been the bus and train companies to ensure people had a travel vouchers before getting on, plain and simple.

I don't really agree with that comment, it's like going into the club shop, stealing a shirt and justifying it because nobody stopped you whilst walking out.

They are one of the same, as you are affectively thieving from the Albion.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Sorry but I've read all 12 pages so far but still cannot see any evidence that the op is correct. It's just hearsay and speculation. TB and Gus had a meeting where TB told Gus this years transfer budget and Gus was happy. So there is no way anything is hampering the playing budget.
All this talk of buses trains and pies, is just incidental. I'm sure the club will look at ways of becoming more financially efficient after the first season at the Amex. But to suggest BHAFC is losing money or TB has somehow slashed the playing budget without telling Gus is nonsense.
So my conclusion is this thread is nonsense.

To be fair, 99% of NSC is hearsay and speculation.

As for the losses, in our final season at Withdean revenue was £7 million and costs were £14 million. Income has trebled at least, but costs have risen significantly too. Looking at a club on a broadly similar footing as the Albion, such as Ipswich, who had crowds similar to those in our first season at the Amex, in their last reported accounts they lost £14 million.

The issue I raised is that TB is unhappy with the lack of control of costs, which perhaps explains why there have been changes in the management structure, and the more these costs are controlled then the better for all of us, as more money can be freed up for the playing side of the club.

smiler

Jan 12, 2006
Shoreham by Sea
No one is disputing that income is beyond all expectations but costs have not been controlled, as they should have been, and the club is still being subsidised by Tony B. I have it on good authority that this is correct

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
To be fair, 99% of NSC is hearsay and speculation.

As for the losses, in our final season at Withdean revenue was £7 million and costs were £14 million. Income has trebled at least, but costs have risen significantly too. Looking at a club on a broadly similar footing as the Albion, such as Ipswich, who had crowds similar to those in our first season at the Amex, in their last reported accounts they lost £14 million.

The issue I raised is that TB is unhappy with the lack of control of costs, which perhaps explains why there have been changes in the management structure, and the more these costs are controlled then the better for all of us, as more money can be freed up for the playing side of the club.

Yes that could all be true, streamlining is always going to happen after 1 season to see where we need investment and where we over spend, as many on here have said. But the question in the op and the title of this thread indicate that it could have impacted on the playing buget and TB has pulled away some of the cash. I just can't see that being the case.

Your post that I've quoted above makes sense and is probably all correct.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yes that could all be true, streamlining is always going to happen after 1 season to see where we need investment and where we over spend, as many on here have said. But the question in the op and the title of this thread indicate that it could have impacted on the playing buget and TB has pulled away some of the cash. I just can't see that being the case.

Your post that I've quoted above makes sense and is probably all correct.

Fair enough, I don't think he has necessarily pulled away cash, but if costs had been controlled, then there could have been a further increase in the playing budget in line with the expansion of the club elsewhere (in terms of stadium capacity etc).

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012

To be fair, a lot of players under contract will say the same. Later on in that piece he also goes on to say: "If I was to leave it would have to be something really good and it’s too soon to talk about that because there is nothing on the table." You could read into this that if a PL team came in for him, or even one of the Championship favourites offering to double his wages, he would look at it.

I wonder how many people got free transport last season? What's done is done, but is was unfair on the people who bought the travel vouchers.

Nobody can complain about paying that little bit extra this time around.

I think one of the problems might have been communication. I never heard of travel being a voluntary cost. Of the vary rare occasion I decided to use the bus rather than the parking space we have, when I bought my voucher and got to the park and ride, I was told by other supporters that I don't have to pay any more because the buses are now free. I genuinely think a lot of people might have just thought that travel was free for them, rather than them thinking they were doing over the club by not paying. Or maybe that's just hopeful thinking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here