Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Financial Fair Play penalties?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Fine sentiment but what about the good players in the lower leagues - If FFP does drive down players wages, (something that is debateable), then it will also drive the exceptional players out of the lower leagues, either upwards in the leagues or out of the country, again widening the gap between them and the EPL.

There is no evidence to support this. The Albion pay an average wage of £5,500 a week, players are unlikely to receive the same overseas unless they are signed by a top European club.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I expect this is true but even without FFP it has always been TB's aim to run a self sufficient club.

I expect this is true but even without FFP it has always been TB's aim to run a self sufficient club.

Correct. A certain section of the fanbase think it is TB's role in life to subsidise the club until we are promoted, to allow them to wear their half and half Albion/Man Yoo scarves.

FFP has nothing to do with fairness, or fair play for that matter. It is an attempt by chairmen to wrestle some negotiating power away from agents when they are putting forwards wage demands for their clients.

Most club chairmen in the Championship are in favour of this, some (QPR and Forest being the most notable examples) are indifferent and have acted accordingly.

Clubs in the Championship lost £400 million in the two seasons ended 2011/12, the biggest cause of this was the wage bill.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
All this assumes that the FL has the competence to review 24 sets of accounts in 31 Days. Whilst it could have a quick flick through them there is no way it could uncover some of the more unusual accounting activities.

Not 24 EP but potentially 72 sets of accounts - don't forget FFP applies to all 3 Divisions.

There is no evidence to support this. The Albion pay an average wage of £5,500 a week, players are unlikely to receive the same overseas unless they are signed by a top European club.

It already happens with the really exceptional players - Zaha for example

The more players wages are driven down in our league the lower the bar is set making more Championship players financially attractive and worth taking the risk on by EPL clubs.

For example if FFP rules meant that we were paying the likes of Ulloa or Bridcutt half of what we are currently paying them there would be more EPL clubs sniffing around and discouraging them from signing new contracts with us so we ultimately wouldn't even benefit from transfer fees.

Without additional safeguards we could have the best youth scheme in the world and see the cream of the talent being lured by bigger clubs who could afford to pay them double what we could without even dipping into the petty cash.

The only real way to safeguard football, in my opinion, is to reduce the gap between the leagues, both in terms of money and quality - FFP rules are doing the exact opposite.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Not 24 EP but potentially 72 sets of accounts - don't forget FFP applies to all 3 Divisions.

It already happens with the really exceptional players - Zaha for example

The more players wages are driven down in our league the lower the bar is set making more Championship players financially attractive and worth taking the risk on by EPL clubs.

For example if FFP rules meant that we were paying the likes of Ulloa or Bridcutt half of what we are currently paying them there would be more EPL clubs sniffing around and discouraging them from signing new contracts with us so we ultimately wouldn't even benefit from transfer fees.

Without additional safeguards we could have the best youth scheme in the world and see the cream of the talent being lured by bigger clubs who could afford to pay them double what we could without even dipping into the petty cash.

The only real way to safeguard football, in my opinion, is to reduce the gap between the leagues, both in terms of money and quality - FFP rules are doing the exact opposite.

Agreed, but the FFP rules in L1and 2 are different to those of the Championship, and the potential benefits of promotion much lower.

The difference between what a PL club can offer to a Championship one is so huge that FFP makes zero difference IMO. The average wage bill in the PL is £83 million (range of £35-202million) compared to £18 million in the Championship (range £6-42million).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I can't see the effects of FFP / lower wages driving players out of the Championship, or even League One. Where I can foresee an effect, is lower down, at Conference level.

A few years ago you had some really good players at that level, who had good careers outside the game, and never went full time as players, as the earnings were not attractive enough for them to give up their 'proper' jobs. These days all the clubs at that level are full-time, and presumably paying the players salaries good enough to entice them.

If those salaries on offer, now start to decrease, to a level where the players could earn as much in an office job, then there will be some players who simply chose not to (like they used to a few years ago).

Players like Eastleigh legend Andy Forbes, who never left his job managing a white goods shop, despite offers from league clubs (including the Albion, I believe).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As far as I can see FFP is just a way of attempting to create a closed shop in the Premier League by making it impossible for clubs to bridge the gap to the parachute payment teams.

Why shouldn't the Forest owner spend his own money to be able to match any parachute payment budgets ?

FFP simply doesn't work in combination with parachute handouts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here