Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Finances of the FA Cup

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Winning team gets £1 million. Losers get £500,000.
Will half a million cover either teams expences for the game. I'm not talking about wages or the general running of the club but expenses just for this game.
There will be a luxury hotel somewhere with 30+ rooms, coach travel and other unsponsored things just for this game.
Yes, the club recoup a lot in club sales of shirts and memorabilia, but is half a million really worth Man Utd getting out of bed for? Bet they aren't staying at the Premier Inn next door, in fact knowing them they'll fly down in a plane that started it's journey in Scotland.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Why would we need to stay in a hotel?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Will half a million cover either teams expences for the game. I'm not talking about wages or the general running of the club but expenses just for this game.
There will be a luxury hotel somewhere with 30+ rooms, coach travel and other unsponsored things just for this game.
Yes, the club recoup a lot in club sales of shirts and memorabilia, but is half a million really worth Man Utd getting out of bed for? Bet they aren't staying at the Premier Inn next door, in fact knowing them they'll fly down in a plane that started it's journey in Scotland.
all joking aside I believe they flew straight to London from their European jolly

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yes.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
There is a saying that goes.

“ you know the cost of everything but the value of nothing”

Yes I know I am an old boy but to win the FA cup would pretty much be the icing on the cake.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
clubs often book hotels for pre-match briefing etc. Maybe not bedrooms, but conference rooms etc.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
London teams playing at the Amex always staying in the hotel overnight, due to same pre match routine wether match is relatively local or up in Newcastle etc....

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We’re even doing it for home games apparently - all about matchday routine not varying. Definitely in a hotel this morning - interview with Barber on the radio earlier from the ‘team hotel where the players are having breakfas’.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes I know I am an old boy but to win the FA cup would pretty much be the icing on the cake.
Unfortunately it's just the semi-final

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
We’ve already won over half a million in prize money for the Fa Cup run this season. You get prize money for each round. Our QF win paid £450,000 alone. We get £500k if we lose today or win and we get either another £2 or £3 million depending on the result of the final.

So worse case scenario is over a million in prize money from the competition for the season. Sure that’s more than covered the cost of a hotel for the night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here