Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2024

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I watched Civil War last night. I thought it was really good. I had seen some comments about how intense it is, as if it had a constant sense of on edge. I didn't feel it throughout, there was plenty of room to breathe, but it did have some quite tense moments.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
She's interviewed - everyone is interviewed.

The film is pre-computer so how they did the effects is mighty impressive.
The actors, with the exception of Nancy Allen, are all seriously unhinged.
Paul V makes the actors look normal.

It's easily the best 'making of' I've seen.

Thanks for the heads up.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Watched Late Night With The Devil last night, load of crap.
I have to say I really wasn't expecting much and I'm glad I wasn't because it was boring, didn't go anywhere and the end was so ridiculous that if I had seen a clip of it I wouldn't have bothered watching the film at all. 1/10.

I've just read that they're remaking The Running Man. Why can't they leave the good films alone? Absolutely no reason to remake a classic Arnie movie, didn't they learn with Total Recall?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I went to see Monkey Man yesterday. I was expecting something more relentlessly violent, in the vein of John Wick or the Raid. Perhaps if there is a sequel it will go in that directiong, but this had a lot of 'down' time where we are seeing Dev Patel's 'Bobby' (a false name he adopts for reasons) as he sets up plans, recovers from plans going awry, grows and resets etc. Decent film, some of the drawing parallels to the story of hanuman were a little heavy handed, and the politics of the in movie election were not overly clear beyong 'this one person is particularly bad' and no real resolution (though I had to head out as soon as the credits started because I had somewhere to be, but IMDb didn't have anything listed as happening in the credits).

Watched Late Night With The Devil last night, load of crap.
I have to say I really wasn't expecting much and I'm glad I wasn't because it was boring, didn't go anywhere and the end was so ridiculous that if I had seen a clip of it I wouldn't have bothered watching the film at all. 1/10.

I've just read that they're remaking The Running Man. Why can't they leave the good films alone? Absolutely no reason to remake a classic Arnie movie, didn't they learn with Total Recall?
That's disappointing. I was considering going to the cinema to watch Late Night with the Devil, though not got around to it and see it is coming to Shudder this week, so was going to stream it then. May be something that just gets added to my watchlist that I never get around to watching.

I keep forgetting about the running man remake. Then occasionally see a bit of casting news and remember about it. As far as I understand it, the Arnie version took a lot of liberties with the book. I've not read the book, so it might be interesting if this one hews closer to it?

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I went to see Monkey Man yesterday. I was expecting something more relentlessly violent, in the vein of John Wick or the Raid. Perhaps if there is a sequel it will go in that directiong, but this had a lot of 'down' time where we are seeing Dev Patel's 'Bobby' (a false name he adopts for reasons) as he sets up plans, recovers from plans going awry, grows and resets etc. Decent film, some of the drawing parallels to the story of hanuman were a little heavy handed, and the politics of the in movie election were not overly clear beyong 'this one person is particularly bad' and no real resolution (though I had to head out as soon as the credits started because I had somewhere to be, but IMDb didn't have anything listed as happening in the credits).

That's disappointing. I was considering going to the cinema to watch Late Night with the Devil, though not got around to it and see it is coming to Shudder this week, so was going to stream it then. May be something that just gets added to my watchlist that I never get around to watching.

I keep forgetting about the running man remake. Then occasionally see a bit of casting news and remember about it. As far as I understand it, the Arnie version took a lot of liberties with the book. I've not read the book, so it might be interesting if this one hews closer to it?
LNWTD gets good reviews so I wouldn't just go on my say-so, but both me and the Mrs thought it was crap. The acting is all very good and you do get that 1970's feel due to the set and how it's filmed, no complaints there. I was intrigued all the way through but it just never seemed to be going anywhere and the last 15 minutes or so is so bad it completely ruined any hope I had for the rest of the film. Final 15 mins is a solid 0/10, the rest of the film a 5.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
just to show the other side of the coin, i quite enjoyed late night with the devil . Not scary as such but very well done . As for the remake of the running man ...... I think if they follow the tone of the book with the remake it will be much better. In the book the 'running man' was on his ass and starving and was doing anything to survive. Nothing like the Arnie film , which was a bit shit anyway.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Went to see Abigail this evening. Not sure how to sum up the story without spoiling it (though the trailer does, anyway). So I guess I'll go with... it's about a group of people who kidnap a someone (played by Matilda the Musical's Alisha Weir), and take her to a large house to hold her hostage while they wait for payment from her father. Turns out, there is a very bad person in the house and they end up fighting for survival.

It's from the same team that made Ready or Not and it has a similar feel and tone. It's fun, but not as scary as perhaps the trailer and general story might suggest. Also features Melissa Barrera (from the recent Scream movies), Dan Stevens (recent Godzilla/Kong movie, Downton Abbey), and Kathryn Newton (freaky, ant-man 3). Also features Giancarlo Esposito and Matthew Goode in small roles.

Quite bloody and violent in places, but with a comical tone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here