Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2023

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
A familar story, well paced and realistic, but what a performance.

Andrea Riseborough steals the show, and whilst I was all over Blanchett for the Oscar for Tár, this beats that hands down.

Touching stuff. 13 / 14.3

To Leslie

SpongebobSquarepants

Jun 16, 2006
Sunny Worthing
Brian and Charles

British film about a loner who builds his own robot and their friendship.
Quite familiar with Brian Gittins character so found this amusing although maybe stretched out a bit far here.
Enjoyed the interaction between the 2 though so overall a thumbs up

6/10

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Triangle Of Sadness

A cruise for the super-rich sinks, leaving survivors, including a fashion model celebrity couple, trapped on an island.

Meh. Some okay scenes but all a bit obvious. Not nearly as clever as it thinks it is.

Too many half explored plot points and 6th form sociology observations for my tastes.

2/10
I saw this and thought the similar. It's up for a best international film Oscar? Goodness gruffness me. Utter pap.

Still love Force Majeure though.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Fabelmans. I simply ADORED this film. My love of Spielberg gets stronger and stronger. Beautiful and Poignant. After following him for nearly 50 years to see his back story was incredible and a love story to Cinema. It rates a 94 out 100. It was simply Magnificent for me

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The Golden Globes. The Fabelmans - Best Film, Drama. Steven Spielberg - Best Director, Drama
I thought it smulchy……

I’m not sure that that is actually a word but it suffices for this film.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
One of the things I felt while writing out the OP was that it shows, numbers wise, that marvel/comic book movies aren't as dominant as people think. Perhaps the issue is more with the marketing, and how for the first week or two, they have so many screens at the multiplex. But there are always other movies out at the same time that can be found with a bit of effort. I think that not enough people make the effort is part of the problem - if people made it clear they want an alternative, the cinemas and studioes would do more to get their money.

I have signed up to mubi (amazon channel version). Watched Aftersun last weekend and was rather underwhelmed by it.

This films seems to be a weird one. Or the response to it does. Before it was released it was seemingly being annointed as the next greatest movie ever made. It came out, didn't really explode, then the first time I heard anyone speak about it was a rant about self-aggrandising pap. Now it's winning awards. I'm not the biggest fan of spielberg's more recent films, so really struggling with whether to see it or not.
Don’t bother.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Whilst I rate Spielberg extremely highly; Indiana Jones trilogy, Jaws, Close Encounters, SPR, Jurassic Park to name but a few legendary film experiences, TF was not my cup of tea.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Good news, everyone. We're finally going to get some comic book/superhero movies.

Also more Stephen King horror:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Whilst I rate Spielberg extremely highly; Indiana Jones trilogy, Jaws, Close Encounters, SPR, Jurassic Park to name but a few legendary film experiences, TF was not my cup of tea.
Fair enough, seen it twice now and my friend loved it as well. Maybe helps if you hero worship Spielberg but loads of 5 star reviews with the UK critics and a ripple of applause in the Worthing Dome and I guess people are liking it a lot in general. Maybe a bit niche to be a box office hit

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
After a barren run stretching back to before Christmas, I have finally returned to the cinema. I went to watch Knock at the Cabin - the latest from M Night Shyamalan. Eh. It was passable. I liked that there was a definitive ending, it's the sort of story that for the most part has you wondering what the truth is, it's so easy to end with an ambiguous ending, so I like that the film made up it's mind. And unusually for Shyamalan, there was no twist tacked on.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Off to see Knock At The Cabin in Crawley tomorrow but today popped down to the Marina (with its altered entrance/exit due to the ongoing works - a little word of warning/preparation for anyone going there who doesn't know about this) to see M3GAN.

I went in knowing there was a degree of satire to it, and thought it was very enjoyable. An interesting take on the evil doll idea with a few nods at the Will Smith film, AI. Really good fun, pretty clever in places (and amusingly obvious in others, not to the detriment of the film though) and am finding myself thinking about it a fair bit. A few jumps, little bit of blood (but not loads) and a satisfying end shot.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Off to see Knock At The Cabin in Crawley tomorrow but today popped down to the Marina (with its altered entrance/exit due to the ongoing works - a little word of warning/preparation for anyone going there who doesn't know about this) to see M3GAN.

I went in knowing there was a degree of satire to it, and thought it was very enjoyable. An interesting take on the evil doll idea with a few nods at the Will Smith film, AI. Really good fun, pretty clever in places (and amusingly obvious in others, not to the detriment of the film though) and am finding myself thinking about it a fair bit. A few jumps, little bit of blood (but not loads) and a satisfying end shot.
Watched M3GAN the other night, and was surprised to see Rotten Tomatoes rating it in the 90s. It starts well and is quite intriguing, but I thought it went rapidly downhill and got a bit silly. Reminded me of a Chucky film by the end.

That said it does carry a strong message, and I certainly wasn't bored. But I'm not sure it deserves the critical acclaim it's received.

68%.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Watched M3GAN the other night, and was surprised to see Rotten Tomatoes rating it in the 90s. It starts well and is quite intriguing, but I thought it went rapidly downhill and got a bit silly. Reminded me of a Chucky film by the end.

That said it does carry a strong message, and I certainly wasn't bored. But I'm not sure it deserves the critical acclaim it's received.

68%.
90s is definitely too high...there should really just be a few films that reach that level.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
After a barren run stretching back to before Christmas, I have finally returned to the cinema. I went to watch Knock at the Cabin - the latest from M Night Shyamalan. Eh. It was passable. I liked that there was a definitive ending, it's the sort of story that for the most part has you wondering what the truth is, it's so easy to end with an ambiguous ending, so I like that the film made up it's mind. And unusually for Shyamalan, there was no twist tacked on.
Just back from this. Definitely intriguing - wanted to see how it played out - but found it fairly superficial really. I won't be hurrying to watch it again. Big Dave is a very interesting screen presence again; Rupert Grint was a surprise amongst the cast (can't believe he's now 34!). @Acker79 is right with "passable". Not a poor film, just not a great one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here