Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2021

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Watched The Suicide Squad tonight and really wish I hadn't. I've seen some dross but this was appalling nonsense. The first film was actually better than this and the first film was cack. I don't know what it is with DC, they take gritty, sinister and twisted characters from their comics and turn them in to sideshow clowns. Harley Quinn is one of my favourite characters, and Margot Robbie could easily play her properly as the seriously disturbed, abused, twisted and fragile woman that she's supposed to be, but it's so dumbed down that her character is more akin to an actual harlequin.
I can only describe this film as Dr Who meets Power Rangers, awful.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Free Guy
Went to the Secret Screening at cineworld this evening. Part of me expected it to be this as there seems to have been quite a few previews for it, and is getting a big promotional push. I was planning on watching it anyway, though there's a little disappointment that the secret screening is something I can freely watch as a regular film in less than two days. As for the film itself, it was fine. It is largely one joke, with Ryan Reynolds filling it out with that thing Ryan Reynolds does, except in a character that isn't so self- or pop-culture- referential (though there is a fun avengers/star wars reference), the character is also not so biting or cynical (so a somewhat opposite of deadpool).

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
£4.90 for a ticket down t'Picturehouse on a Monday night? Don't mind if i diddly. So i went to see Wildland - the Danish title is Flesh and Blood, which is probably more fitting. Joyously it co-starred Sidse Babbet Knudsen, who i still feel so warmly toward since Borgen, on the telly. But this film most centres on the 17 year old Ida, her arm broken, and seemingly with nowhere else to go after a car crash but with her aunt - Sidse - and cousins. She knows who they are, having been firmly kept from them, but they are family, and what she might have a connection to. What follows is her life with them, being invited into a world of loansharking and disturbing affection - the mother greets each of her sons with a tender and lasting kiss to the lips, and when relaxing picks at the handsomest heir's hair as if comfortable lovers. They're a family that would do anything for each other, but easily implode too. The film itself saunters with this tension, caressing us with its adoration and expectant bloody denouement.
It didn't feel original, or realistic in the authorities' slack inspection of the fiendish folk that Ida would join forces with, but brooded enough with an overhanging menace to keep one reasonably glued. Not bad, and an unknown view of the Danish outback to me.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
£4.90 for a ticket down t'Picturehouse on a Monday night? Don't mind if i diddly. So i went to see Wildland - the Danish title is Flesh and Blood, which is probably more fitting. Joyously it co-starred Sidse Babbet Knudsen, who i still feel so warmly toward since Borgen, on the telly. But this film most centres on the 17 year old Ida, her arm broken, and seemingly with nowhere else to go after a car crash but with her aunt - Sidse - and cousins. She knows who they are, having been firmly kept from them, but they are family, and what she might have a connection to. What follows is her life with them, being invited into a world of loansharking and disturbing affection - the mother greets each of her sons with a tender and lasting kiss to the lips, and when relaxing picks at the handsomest heir's hair as if comfortable lovers. They're a family that would do anything for each other, but easily implode too. The film itself saunters with this tension, caressing us with its adoration and expectant bloody denouement.
It didn't feel original, or realistic in the authorities' slack inspection of the fiendish folk that Ida would join forces with, but brooded enough with an overhanging menace to keep one reasonably glued. Not bad, and an unknown view of the Danish outback to me.

sounds like another attempt to re-boot that Aussie power house movie that is Animal Kingdom ......

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
It did have me thinking that for chunks of the film, yeah.

thats the nicest thing anyones said to me for ages...:cry: if you can access HBO , look up The White Lotus , very quirky and different and rubs your nose in everything that is wrong with , well ...us really ....great twist and a couple of omg moments , i'd give it 7.6/10.......:kiss:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
thats the nicest thing anyones said to me for ages...:cry: if you can access HBO , look up The White Lotus , very quirky and different and rubs your nose in everything that is wrong with , well ...us really ....great twist and a couple of omg moments , i'd give it 7.6/10.......:kiss:

It's just started on Sky Atlantic here on available on Now Entertainment

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Nobody

Absolutely ridiculous John Wick-esque hyper-violent shoot-em-up with a body count higher than anything Arnie ever managed in the 80s. Dull ordinary middle-aged everyman Hutch (Bob Odenkirk - Better Call Saul) meekly fails to protect his family when their home is burgled one night, but stews on it, and later on just snaps. To spectacularly gory consequences.

Its great fun. Odenkirk is superb as the lead in a kind of John Wick reboot (one of the Wick writers is apparently involved). It doesn't reinvent the wheel, but when its done this well, it doesn't have to. Hugely enjoyable 90-odd minutes.

88%.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Nobody

Absolutely ridiculous John Wick-esque hyper-violent shoot-em-up with a body count higher than anything Arnie ever managed in the 80s. Dull ordinary middle-aged everyman Hutch (Bob Odenkirk - Better Call Saul) meekly fails to protect his family when their home is burgled one night, but stews on it, and later on just snaps. To spectacularly gory consequences.

Its great fun. Odenkirk is superb as the lead in a kind of John Wick reboot (one of the Wick writers is apparently involved). It doesn't reinvent the wheel, but when its done this well, it doesn't have to. Hugely enjoyable 90-odd minutes.

88%.

Pretty good film, found it enjoyable if not very original.
If you liked that, watch Boss level. About a guy stuck in a constant daily loop of being killed by assassins. Very entertaining and totally OTT.

Last edited:

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
If you liked that, watch Boss Mode. About a guy stuck in a constant daily loop of being killed by assassins. Very entertaining and totally OTT.

Thanks for the recommendation. Saw it was free on Amazon Prime at the moment so was tempted to have a bit of brainless fun!

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Watch Naked Singularity last night. Starring John Boyega, Bill Skarsgard and the always gorgeous, Olivia Cooke. Nothing very original, a defence attorney, feeling like his life is going nowhere and fed up of the daily grind of trying to be the good guy but the system failing, gets talked into stealing drugs/money from very bad people while being able to do good for others at the same time.
It's not fast paced, it's not even very exciting, but me and the Mrs were glued to it. The characters were all played superbly well, the helpless Boyega just wanting to do good, the 'always in the wrong place' Cooke was both hateful and loveable at the same time and Skarsgard was the hectic comic relief, it all worked really well.
Like I said, nothing original, but I really liked it. 7/10.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If you liked that, watch Boss Mode. About a guy stuck in a constant daily loop of being killed by assassins. Very entertaining and totally OTT.

Noted. Cheers :thumbsup:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Anyone seen this? Or going to see it?

Trailer doesn't look good but it's got Paul Weller, Brighton and Lambrettas.

Not seen it, but it HAS to be better than this tripe.

s-l1600.jpg

:facepalm:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
just watch The Dry ....till the end , had me in tears ....bloody good film imho...:thumbsup:

Yup, watched that last week. Enjoyed it.

Found The Courier engaging, if steady paced. Do like a nice spy yarn, especially real-life ones where they show the photos of the protagonists with their fates at the end credits.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Just back from watching Reminiscence. Great cast, very nicely shot, but awful storyline. Not one I'll be reminiscing about in the future!

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Yup, watched that last week. Enjoyed it.

Found The Courier engaging, if steady paced. Do like a nice spy yarn, especially real-life ones where they show the photos of the protagonists with their fates at the end credits.

Just about to watch the Courier in a minute. Looking forward to it, looks interesting, more so because of the true story factor.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Had a doublebill this evening.

First up was The Night House. I liked this. I like Rebecca Hall generally, but not sure about all of her 'choices' in this, at times it felt hard to be sympathetic to her. The reveal at the end was something you can work out quite early, so when it comes feels like ''yeah, I got that an hour ago, did you really not know until now?!', and the finale is a bit too internal monologue, without us being able to hear it, i.e. it is about a character making a decision/realisation/choice whatever relating to emotions or feelings or attitude in their own mind, so there's no obvious resolution, and you wonder whether it really is resolved. However, it was very creepy, didn't rely on cheap jump scares, or the typical 'quiet quiet LOUD' that so many modern horror movies do, so overall, despite it's weak finish, it was good. A better finish and it could have been great.

I followed thisn up with Reminiscence. Ironically, it felt very forgettable. Like if you keep a chart of your cinema or film watches, you'd get to the end of the year see it in the list and struggle to remember much about it. Even now, just a couple of hours after it finished my main thoughts are about how it made me think of other movies - Rebecca Ferguson singing love songs to Hugh Jackman, and HJ on a roof top with sheets hanging up brought to mind the greatest showman, any time HJ is in a water tank with future tech, you're going to thing X-men. The film itself was very much a modern noir movie, but wasn't great.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here