Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2016

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It does rule out a pub visit beforehand doesn't it.
I absolutely HATE going for a slash in the middle of a film. And no matter how good the film is, I do find 3 hours in a cinema a real slog.

My sympathies, yep, no pub and some uncomfortable wriggling in order to de-numb the bum

Ron Manager

Oooh, wasn't it?
Sep 14, 2015
Lentil Alley
Indeed, The Big Short.

Just finished, thoroughly enjoyable throwing up moral and legal questions on this well known major incident.

Whilst I have some knowledge within this industry, I hung on to the coat tails of technicality a couple of times but also laughed out loud at some of the stereotypes and one liners whilst tutting and shaking the head accepting that such things do indeed go on.

9/10.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
The Hateful Eight: bog standard QT fare - don't expect any departure from business as usual. I would imagine he turns this stuff out in his sleep by now and frankly it shows. It kept me fairly engaged in part but I doubt I will give it a second thought & as [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] says 3 hours is unnecessary. Oh I did like the opening Morricone score (albeit set the bar high for what was to come...).

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
In the Heart of the Sea: I love a good yarn, especially one set in the past at sea. Throw in 'true' story and literary links and I'm a buyer (Master & Commander is right up there for me). No surprise then that I thoroughly enjoyed this. However it could have been so so much more: some of the special effects looked comparatively poor, the yarn and characters needed much more time and investment (if ever a tale warranted 3 + hours this was it) & less focus on the main (box office) character would have helped. Packing so much in to 2 hours left the characters feeling lightweight & story rushed when the themes deserved much deeper exploration. This was a great pity especially as the standard of acting was v decent throughout but it was difficult to invest much in the characters as they were only sketched out really. Maybe a director's cut will do it full justice down the line but it is worth a gander nonetheless if you fancy a bit of old fashioned story telling.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Hateful Eight
Because of the dispute with the distributors, I had to pay to see this at the Odeon rather than use my unlimited card at cineworld. I haven't been to the odeon for years. It looks quite different, and I liked screen one.

I both liked it and did not like it.

I liked it for many of its Tarantino hallmarks - the dialogue, the violence, the love of film that I think shows through in the craftsmanship of the film.

But I disliked it for some of the same - it is overly long. The main premise is the characters in a room, it's a bottle episode, and it takes them half an hour to get there. I also feel like he overuses of the n-word so much that it leaves you thinking ''all right we get it, you like that word", and while all the characters suffer, it feels somehow less comfortable seeing how the main female character suffers, made worse by the fact you're not really meant to sympathise with her, or the people that are extremely violent to her.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Just back from The Hateful Eight, and I thought it was a brilliant film.

Cinematography was wonderful, dialogue was clever, funny and gripping. A well-crafted plot and the usual brutal, but at times comic book, violence.

I didn't find it overlong at all - it seemed to fly by. It was paused for twenty minutes just after the halfway point - a medical emergency in the audience - so everyone had a chance to visit the facilities. This may have helped! As a result of this, every member of the audience was given a free ticket for a future film "because of the inconvenience" though nobody seemed to have been overly inconvenienced. So I will probably go to see The Revenant next week.

I was looking forward to this for ages, as others have stated they were. And it lived up to my hopes and expectations.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Star Wars: The Force Awakens

I know I'm a bit late but I had a busy crimbo and only got to see this Friday night.... Over all a pretty good re-boot. JJ does a good job with a script that re-introduces almost all of the old gang plus the next generation of saviours of the known universe. Some slight interesting thoughts for me, a Stormtrooper is lasered and dies and we see real blood, normally they just fall down in a clutter of plastic. Also It shows the importance of camouflage gear, blokes shuffling around in dayglo white plastic "armour " are shot as easily as fish in a barrel and the First Order would do well to learn from this. They also seem to have a love of masks, not only Stormtroopers but middle ranking officers and our perennial anti-hero too ( I can see why he wore one, he was an ugly bugger but hadn't had the excuse of having half his face carved off.)

All the usual death defying beating the odds gambles and dares you expect with some pathos and humour, just one last thought, and I'm sure it won't spoil things too much but, when they are looking at the map to where Luke Skywalker can be found, the general consensus is that it is an area unknown to any race and star pilot and is at the edge of the known universe. But, when they finally get the whole map together they can get to Luke's personal planet in about 10 minutes. in the clapped out ,surely superceded, Millennium Falcon ?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Well, i return from Hateful Eight, and my prediction was correct. I didn't like it, for the most part. The dialogue was its usual blend of foulness and cleverdickness, with just a few scenes standing out, pretty much only with Samuel L and Bruce Dern able to perform with enough about them not to seem flat or cartoonish. There was also just too much of it too. Talking constantly for 3 hours doesn't mean you have anything to say. The main problem, as per usual, though, was that for all the technique and skill and knowledge of film he wishes to show that he has, which he does, he makes something which has me feel nothing at all, so when a bloodbath or two arrives, which i know it will, i have no attachment to anyone involved, and shrug disinterestedly after it taking so long getting there. Ok, i felt uncomfortable for the endless use of the N word and for the repeated beating of a woman, as Acker said, no matter how nefarious she was, but if that's all i'm getting from a lengthy film from a director, and writer, refusing to progress, then it's not good enough.

The Morricone score was great when used and some of the snowy shots outside were beautiful, but i found it to be a rather boring and humourless few hours on the whole.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Well, i return from Hateful Eight, and my prediction was correct. I didn't like it, for the most part. The dialogue was its usual blend of foulness and cleverdickness, with just a few scenes standing out, pretty much only with Samuel L and Bruce Dern able to perform with enough about them not to seem flat or cartoonish. There was also just too much of it too. Talking constantly for 3 hours doesn't mean you have anything to say. The main problem, as per usual, though, was that for all the technique and skill and knowledge of film he wishes to show that he has, which he does, he makes something which has me feel nothing at all, so when a bloodbath or two arrives, which i know it will, i have no attachment to anyone involved, and shrug disinterestedly after it taking so long getting there. Ok, i felt uncomfortable for the endless use of the N word and for the repeated beating of a woman, as Acker said, no matter how nefarious she was, but if that's all i'm getting from a lengthy film from a director, and writer, refusing to progress, then it's not good enough.

The Morricone score was great when used and some of the snowy shots outside were beautiful, but i found it to be a rather boring and humourless few hours on the whole.

I thought that the casting, and acting, was pretty much excellent throughout. I have loved watching Walton Goggins since The Shield, he is a great actor, and his performance was really well judged. Tim Roth was funny and quite haunting at times, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Michael Madsen, Kurt Russell - all bounced off each other well, and I could go on.

Tarantino is not 'refusing to progress', he is creating some of the most watchable fims of recent times. Long may he continue.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
I thought that the casting, and acting, was pretty much excellent throughout. I have loved watching Walton Goggins since The Shield, he is a great actor, and his performance was really well judged. Tim Roth was funny and quite haunting at times, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Michael Madsen, Kurt Russell - all bounced off each other well, and I could go on.

Tarantino is not 'refusing to progress', he is creating some of the most watchable fims of recent times. Long may he continue.

Roth had me wincing for all of his pointless Terry-Thomas spell and there were large chunks of ham for most of the cast, presumably instructed to do it that way for "comedy" - one couple, in a packed house, chuckled once as far as I can remember.
I've found him to be mostly dull after Jackie Brown. I hope he has another good film in him, but it might take a break from 70s cinema homages, rather than inspirations, for that to happen. Or association with a better editor who heavily slices out the unnecessary to make a tight and striking bit of cinema.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Star Wars 89 Joy 76

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

To be fair MB did tell us he wouldn't like it before he went to see it

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Roth had me wincing for all of his pointless Terry-Thomas spell and there were large chunks of ham for most of the cast, presumably instructed to do it that way for "comedy" - one couple, in a packed house, chuckled once as far as I can remember.
I've found him to be mostly dull after Jackie Brown. I hope he has another good film in him, but it might take a break from 70s cinema homages, rather than inspirations, for that to happen. Or association with a better editor who heavily slices out the unnecessary to make a tight and striking bit of cinema.

Looking at the time of your return from the film you possibly saw the same showing that I did (if you live round here). There was a lot of laughter.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Looking at the time of your return from the film you possibly saw the same showing that I did (if you live round here). There was a lot of laughter.

Nah i saw it in Islington. Unlike many others from around there, though, i haven't a beard to stroke or chew on.
:)
Am glad you and some others did enjoy it.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Hateful 8. three of us saw it, all fans of some of QT's work, all of us hated it..... every actor hammed it up, so bored now of Samuel, Kurt, Tim doing the same old routine. Dialogue is so recognisably Tarantino and so predictably long winded, which can be great if done well but , but this was just boring. Also, tired of the over use of ****** and the mysogyny, blah blah that's how it was at the time blah blah yet why did JJL have shit teeth and Samuel and Kurt have pearly sparkly whites? Glad we didn't pay for this one. 3/10.

Room on the other hand was excellent and a much better movie experience, even though the lad playing it was obviously not just turned 5! 8.5/10

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've liked Walton Goggins since Major League 3.

Daddy's Home
Eh. I'm not sure I was ever a big fan of Will Ferrell's movies, but I certainly am less into them now than I used to be.

I didn't hate it, but for most of the first hour and a bit, it is not particularly funny or entertaining, just one big set up for a finale that was quite fun, if predictable. Not a great finale, I don't want to oversell it, but it was better than the set up, it almost felt like it was a slightly different attitude to it, which was more fun and I think could have been applied to the early parts.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Great to see Sylvester Stallone win a Golden Globe for Creed. Also Jennifer Lawrence for Joy. She is Wonderful

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Revenant
I went to the Unlimited Cardholders screening of this on Thursday evening.

I struggled with Birdman last year. The attitude of "only confusing, inaccessible art is worthy, anything popular or mainstream is meaningless" that pervaded that film kinda turned me off Inarritu. There are elements of it in The Revenant, too. Dream/Hallucination sequences that take you out of the story and leave you thinking WTF? I'm not generally a fan of DiCaprio either and find it somewhat ridiculous that a performance in which 95% of his dialogue is grunting is the one that looks like it's going to get him the Oscar he so blatantly craves (and it's amazing how much he suffers and yet no damage to his face until the last five minutes). Tom Hardy seemed to be giving a performance that wouldn't be out of place as a comic book villain.

That's not to say there isn't good in the film. The cinematography is really good, the camera work, particularly in the opening sequence, is quite outstanding.

Last night I returned to the cinema for a doubler.

Creed
As a kid, I loved the Rocky Movies. At least the first four. I have vague memories of seeing 5, but have not watched Rocky Balboa. As I grew up I lost all interest in boxing, so haven't felt inclined to watch boxing movies. But this has a lot of hype and praise surrounding it, so I thought I'd give it a go.

I did like it. It managed to be fresh and new, while still feeling like it belonged in the Rocky series. I think Stallone deserves the praise he's getting.

Room
Another strong film. I did like it, it was very emotional, but I feel like I won't be the film's most enthusiastic fan. It felt like one or two threads were dropped, and another issue or two that would be spoilers, and as emotional as the film was as it was going, the ending felt comparatively flat. Still very good, and I can understand the praise for Brie Larson, the kid wasn't too annoying.

I have to say, I'm a little disappointed with the Oscars this year. It feels like it's a very weak field of nominees pretty much across the board. It's like this year it's the story of the nominees (comebacks for Jennifer Jason Leigh and Stallone, repeats for Redmayne and Inarritu, Ingenue for Brie, Their turn for Di Caprio etc) rather than about their work is (not sure any of the films/performances are so good they'll go down in film history).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here