Film 2012

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Finished the festival with the outright comedy Sightseers, written by and starring Steve Oram and Alice Rowe. It concerns two ultimately ordinary and half-simpleton people who head off on a caravanning holiday through the midlands. A romantic and murderous holiday at that. The male has thinning ginger hair and face of orange beardedness, an ever-growing hatred of rudeness scarring his enjoyment of trips to a pencil museum and so on. The female has a dog psychologist certificate on her wall, but lives with her grotesquely horrid brummie mum who reminds her constantly of how she's to blame for the "accidental" death of miniature hound Poppy. This obviously psychologically troubledcouple leave a bloody trail on their jaunt, and the audience mostly giggling throughout. It's an honestly funny little film which might sadly have an 18 rating for its gorier moments. Well worth a look. Directed by the guy who did Down Terrace and Kill List too, so his control of the camera and sometime curiosities filmed make it better.
Not sure when it comes out but when it does i recommend. Steve Oram is brilliantly funny with a real viciousness on the inside.

This evening i went to Beasts of the Southern Wild, a film much vaunted in the festivals of the last 6 months or so. It's a take on the life of some areas of America that were wrecked and ruined by hurricane Katrina, and seemingly left to suffer and fend for themselves in the aftermath. This is told by a 6 year old though, called hushpuppy, so it's more magical and supposedly poetic than it would have been if it were made by the more mainstream and had Angelina Jolie starting a campaign to find her surprisingly black grandfather who was likely drowned in the floods. Hushpuppy's father is a sometimes brutal drunk and the community in general seems delirious with alcohol and a wish to continue to live a separated life to mainland America and all its bought delights.
I thought it alright at best. Some of the imagery was amazing to see, so much of it obviously filmed where societies had been just washed away, and the little girl was alright. It didn't really grab me though, the music on occasion out of place and over-dominant, and the tale itself not expertly constructed and tied together to make this Jabberwocky-esque journey through the murk either heart-tugging or wholly thrilling.

Oh, i liked the film Shell that i saw last Friday too. From the festival. Life in a petrol station in the HIghlands. It's not merry. And the dialogue isn't constant. but the surroundings and events really keep you watching. if and when it comes out i'd say it's a Monday night film for a slightly arty crowd who want to feed their start of the week blues with something very tenderly but disturbingly made.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I have to skim your reviews MB, the same way I don't like to watch trailers, but I do so looking for the pertinent sentences. Thanks for your opinion on Beasts of the Southern Wild - I had that down as a must-see due mostly to the press attention, but it has moved down slightly. Hadn't picked up on Sightseers, nor Shell which does appeal.

I'm assuming you're off to Skyfall this Friday?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
I'm assuming you're off to Skyfall this Friday?
:)
Bourne 7 you mean?
No i don't think i'll rush for it, but a mad-looking blonde Javier Bardem might make it fun. Or completely embarrassing. But what the heck.

At the festival i couldn't get tickets for Amour, the new mean-spirited Haneke one. I am waiting for that to come out now. A friend saw it and said it a beauty.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think Javier looks like he will be delightfully evil.

Frankenweenie
I thought it was good, it was typically well made and cute, but it seemed to lack something to elevate it to among Burton's best work. Perhaps it needed songs, or a touch more humour.

Looper
It has got some very good reviews, so perhaps my expectations were a little high, because I felt it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. It was good, and I'm sure you'd enjoy it, but it hints at big conflict action moments, but then doesn't show them. I was also expecting a big twist regarding the identity of the bad guy or how well the the heroes had dealt with it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Skyfall
Lived up to the hype, imo. Great film, great performance, exciting stunts. Go watch.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Looper
It has got some very good reviews, so perhaps my expectations were a little high, because I felt it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. It was good, and I'm sure you'd enjoy it, but it hints at big conflict action moments, but then doesn't show them. I was also expecting a big twist regarding the identity of the bad guy or how well the the heroes had dealt with it.

Can I get an 'Amen'? It was decent enough, but no more than that.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I have loved the Bond films since Daniel Craig took over and turned the "franchise" from a comedy series back to an action series.
Unfortunately I must have got a bit carried away with the hype, and ended up disappointed with Skyfall.
The storyline, the gorgeous bird, the villain and the locations didn't quite do it for me.
Highlight the car/bike chase. Lowlight the rest of it
7/10

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Finally caught Ill Manors after missing it on its blink-and-you'd-have-missed-it cinema release. It was nothing that Kidulthood and Adulthood hadn't done before and so much better than this Plan B effort. A flaky storyline trying to weave too much in, and what a co-incidence that almost every hood in the film happened to drink in the same shitty pub, a shitty little pub that just happened to boast the legendary John Cooper Clarke performing in front of two drug addicts and a dog, although even more of a credulity stretch was 'Ed Woz Here' sprayed on the wall of a flat to make the viewer aware that this was 'Ed's' flat - this character Ed, a London estate hoodlum whose character would be more likely to perform Swan Lake with The Royal Ballet before spraying 'Ed Woz Here' on any wall.

5.9/10

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Finally caught Ill Manors after missing it on its blink-and-you'd-have-missed-it cinema release. It was nothing that Kidulthood and Adulthood hadn't done before and so much better than this Plan B effort. A flaky storyline trying to weave too much in, and what a co-incidence that almost every hood in the film happened to drink in the same shitty pub, a shitty little pub that just happened to boast the legendary John Cooper Clarke performing in front of two drug addicts and a dog, although even more of a credulity stretch was 'Ed Woz Here' sprayed on the wall of a flat to make the viewer aware that this was 'Ed's' flat - this character Ed, a London estate hoodlum whose character would be more likely to perform Swan Lake with The Royal Ballet before spraying 'Ed Woz Here' on any wall.

5.9/10

I think that's a tad harsh. IMO Ill Manors was a better put together film than the two you mention and has a wicked soundtrack. A pretty good effort on Ben Drew's part if you ask me.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I think that's a tad harsh. IMO Ill Manors was a better put together film than the two you mention and has a wicked soundtrack. A pretty good effort on Ben Drew's part if you ask me.

I don't like Noel Clarke as an actor, and he shouldn't have put himself in either Kidulthood or Adulthood imho, but for me his writing is a lot more realistic than Drew's - the whole thing with the eastern European prostitute and the baby was irrelevant and unnecessary and just felt like something weaved in to add some bulk. Drew is a very talented guy I won't dispute, and yes, the soundtrack was top notch and maybe my assessment was a bit harsh, but Ill Manors was very derivative of those Noel Clarke films.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I don't like Noel Clarke as an actor, and he shouldn't have put himself in either Kidulthood or Adulthood imho, but for me his writing is a lot more realistic than Drew's - the whole thing with the eastern European prostitute and the baby was irrelevant and unnecessary and just felt like something weaved in to add some bulk. Drew is a very talented guy I won't dispute, and yes, the soundtrack was top notch and maybe my assessment was a bit harsh, but Ill Manors was very derivative of those Noel Clarke films.

You make a good point. I guess I'd have liked Ill Manors to carry on in the vein in which is started using the music more heavily than towards the end. It also was a BIT long. And there was nobody to really root for (apart from the prostitute but I still didn't care for her character) which I always struggle with but that was probably the point anyway.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Saturday matinee @ Duke of York's. If I went there for a month of Sundays, or indeed Saturdays, I very much doubt I'd see a more engrossing stunning film than 'Rust and Bone'. Every damn thing about that Jacques Audiard film is beautiful, from the harsh unsentimental screenplay to the understated vivid performances from every one of the leading players up to and including the little five year old kid, to the gorgeous brooding soundtrack (special mention for best ever use of John Cooper Clarke material in a foreign film :lol: ) to the damn fine range of always impressive cinematography. Best Foreign Film of this year by a county kilometre. A life-confirming experience and a fully deserved 9.5/10.

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The Hunter with Willem Defoe. Not what you may be expecting and all the better for it. Very, very good 6/10

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Went to a preview of Amour this morning. The more excitable screenings i suppose have people leave with a certain applause still aquiver in their paws, but this had people leaving tearfully. The girlfriend, who happens to be my girlfriend, said she went to relieve herself afterwards and 3 other chicks at that moment were wiping clear the mascara-stained tears from their cheeks. It being a Michael Haneke film, it was always going to be tough viewing. I loved Hidden and White Ribbon, so expectations were darkly high, but this time the drama was intermittent and the shocks to the system lessened. Without Haneke's name attached i doubt many would rush to see it, it being the tale of a very elderly couple having their love tested thanks to a dramatic change in health in one of them. It is slow and rarely leaves the setting of the flat they now seem somewhat trapped within, but the dialogue is effervescent when called upon and the acting is immaculate, the old French fogeys pitch perfect in every scene. Unsentimental and thought-provoking stuff, absorbing from start to finish. A reminder of the efficacy of unexplosive cinema, that having truths slowly drilled into you is all the more powerful and lasting than foreign assailants and somersaulting cars aflame.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Argo
I really liked this. I didn't really know anything about the events the film depicted, which I'm sure added to the tension. Generally good performances all round, and lots of "hey, it's that guy from..." appearances. Alan Arkin and John Goodman were a particular delight as they usually are, imo. Definitely one of the better (mainstream) movies this year.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
ARGO.

I really really enjoyed this.

I loved the authentic Warner Bros logo at the start.

Other than a couple of slips in the self indulgent stakes, hotel room and final scenes, it was stop on.

I certainly forgave the hollywooding @ the airport, the tension was really well handled and cranked up.
A very deft performance behind the camera from Afleck.

I was prepared for a 'comedy' when Arkin & Goodman were on screen, but I think that's been overplayed by the critics (Kermode).
Not that they weren't very good.

The side by side footage was another great touch, esp as the prospect of the film induced this thread:-
Which was the first global news story, you remember?

which the film did underline, a year earlier and I would have been completely in the dark.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports