Film 2011

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Agree with Nibble, Shutter Island was very over rated. Inception however is superb and Di Caprio is one of the best actors of his generation.

Agree 100%. Inception is definately in my top 5 films ever but I was left very disappointed after watching Shutter Island.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Saw Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy this weekend. Superb.

Very atmospheric, the lighting, the attention to period detail, understated acting - loved it (admittedly I'm a sucker for Cold War stories). Gary Oldman's very respectful nod to Alec Guinness' portrayal of George Smiley was an excellent piece of casting. The original plot is far more complicated than a 130-minute film could ever hope to capture, but the important pieces are there (one or two minor details changed). No action sequences, no high-octane car-chases - it's a cerebral film that requires close attention lest you miss something, though a certain knowledge of Cold War history before you watch it wouldn't go amiss.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Saw Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy this weekend. Superb.

Very atmospheric, the lighting, the attention to period detail, understated acting - loved it (admittedly I'm a sucker for Cold War stories). Gary Oldman's very respectful nod to Alec Guinness' portrayal of George Smiley was an excellent piece of casting. The original plot is far more complicated than a 130-minute film could ever hope to capture, but the important pieces are there (one or two minor details changed). No action sequences, no high-octane car-chases - it's a cerebral film that requires close attention lest you miss something, though a certain knowledge of Cold War history before you watch it wouldn't go amiss.

Oldman is very good. The way he often just observes and absorbes things around him is brilliant. Great film but yes I agree you do need to pay close attention to the tangled plot. The coffee and walnut cake I had was rather splendid as well.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I found Tinker... to be a tension-free bore to be honest. I don't have a genre of film i prefer, i'm up for anything that's had good reviews, but i would only recommend it to those who have an interest in this type of story. It just didn't grip me.

In contrast, i saw a preview of Drive and found it superb, brilliant at building tension. Slow and meandering and then some terrific set pieces. I would highly recommend that you AVOID the trailer, which i saw afterwards
and contains way too many spoilers!
Plus carey milligan is as gorgeous as ever (shame her character was so periferal).

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I watched Tinker Tailor.. Saturday afternoon in an almost full cinema and enjoyed every minute. Its story is not as complex as some would have you believe. However, there are long periods of conversation which require attention. The two set pieces which begin and end the film contrast with the slower pace of the main and are effectively directed. I did not see the original T.V series and had not read the book but guessed who the mole was pretty early on. This did not lessen my enjoyment of a quality British film

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Very good, intelligent, measured film with great performances all round. Though, I agree with cordiregisteredfriend, it wasn't as complex as I was expecting from previous comments.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Well it's been a pair of films for the Meade this weekend thus far.
Yesterday was Madamoiselle Chambon, a modernise Frech version of Brief Encounter, in many ways. It's a married man starting to have either lustful and then likely loving feelings for a teacher at his son's school. Of course she silently begins to have a certain desire for him too. The whole wish of romance is suggested by pained glances amidst the knowledge of how morally wrong it would be to physicalise. It's gut-wrenching at times as the two sometimes sit tacitly enveloped by longing, perhaps best when a Edvard Elgar piece is listened to by the pair as their eyes tremor with thought. The script is mostly natural and unexplosive, but the tender telling of what is fundamentally sinful bathes one in the tension of possibly broken responsibility in humans old enough to know better. I quite enjoyed and left with lots to think over.

And less than an hour ago i walked out of Drive. That's not a "I walked out of that rancid drivel!", but left when it finished. A cool film. Ryan Gosling as a guy who drives both as a movie stuntman and a getaway driver, neither of which he can never be injured during. The music makes it as 80s as it could be, and many critics say of how it mirrors the mid-80s work of Michael Mann. They're right. It does. But there's much more to it than an ode. Gosling is class. He kept me in Blue Valentine last year and with Half-Nelson a few years back. A really good actor without the stereotypical handsomeness of some big stars, but a certain presence. Throughout Drive he's quiet and thoughtful, but you get him. Carey Mulligan is the nextdoor neighbour he falls for and has to become heroic around, and i generally find her quite watchable.
There's some perhaps unnecessary gory bits in it, but it thrills in all the right moments whilst retaining its meditative european feel. Imagine a good True Romance for adults. It was cool and engrossing. Go see.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
October

This month starts with a 3D re-release of the Disney classic The Lion King (1994) - IMDb (trailer)

Woody Allen directs a typically ensemble cast in his latest romantic comedy Midnight in Paris (2011) - IMDb (trailer)

Bailee Madison stars as a young girl sent to live with her father, Guy Pierce, and his girlfriend, Katie Holmes in a new house that is haunted in Dont Be Afraid of the Dark (2010) - IMDb written by Guillermo Del Torro. (trailer)

Perfect Sense (2011) - IMDb stars Ewan McGregor and Eva Green as a chef and a scientist who fall in love, while everyone is losing their senses (as in losing the ability to taste and smell etc.) (trailer)

The first directors job for actor Paddy Considine (one of the Andies in Hot Fuzz) is Tyrannosaur (2011) - IMDb a film about a woman trying to escape an abusive relationship. (trailer)

Despite signs that 3D is a failing gimmick, The Three Musketeers (2011) - IMDb will be released in 3D. Stars Orlando Bloom, Juno Temple, Milla Jovovich, Christoph Waltz, Mathew MacFadyen, Mads Mikkelson, and Ray Stevenson (trailer)

What do you get if you cross Free Willy with Flipper? IMDb - Dolphin Tale (2011) Starring Morgan Freeman, Harry Connick Jr, and Ashley Judd. (trailer)

Emily Browning, the oldest daughter in Lemony Snicket’s Series of Unfortunate Events gets naked a lot in Sleeping Beauty (2011) - IMDb a film about prostitutes for men who like to sleep with sleeping women, or something. (trailer)

Morgan Spurlock, who brought us the great documentary Super Size Me, and the pretty good Where in the world is osama bin laden covers the topic of product placement in movies with The Greatest Movie Ever Sold (2011) - IMDb. (trailer)

Retreat (2011) - IMDb sees Cillian Murphy, Jamie Bell, and Thandie Newton star as a couple who are on an island retreat when a man washes up on shore and brings them news of a killer disease spreading through Europe. (trailer)

IMDb - Albatross (2011) stars Julia Ormond and rising star Felicity Jones, in a film about a a young teenager befriending a new arrival who then starts a relationship with the girl’s father leading to complications in all their relationships. (trailer)

Contagion (2011) - IMDb didn’t perform as well as expected in America given its cast (Damon, Paltrow, Law, Cotillard, Fishburne, Winslet, Bryan ‘Breaking Bad’ Cranston), and director (Stephen Soderbergh). Was it because the story of a killer virus missed its window of relevance when people stopped worrying about bird flu, or is it just not that good? (trailer)

Gus Van Sant directs IMDb - Restless (2011) starring Mia Wasikowska, who has shown a remarkable ability to have not been affected by the less than stellar reaction Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland received. She plays a terminally ill girl who encounters the ghost of a kamikaze pilot. (trailer)

Leighton Meester, Selena Gomez, and Katie Cassidy star in Monte Carlo (2011) - IMDb a fantasy princess film about three girls who are whisked away to Monte Carlo when one is mistaken for a rich heiress. Also stars Catherine Tate, Cory Monteith, and Andie MacDowell. (trailer)

Tilda Swinton stars as the mother of a teen boy who had previous gone on a killing spree at his high school in We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011) - IMDb also stars John C Reilly. (trailer)

LOL (2011) - IMDb stars Demi Moore, Miley Cyrus and Ashley Greene and is a remake of a French film about teen girls and social networking. I doubt it’ll be out long enough for anyone to care. (trailer not yet available)

IMDb - The Help (2011) stars Emma Stone, Viola Davies, Allison Janey and Bryce Dallas Howard and has been a big hit in America telling the story of how white people were so great and helpful in bringing equality to the blacks. Aren’t white people great?! (trailer)

George Clooney directs and co-stars with several big names including Ryan Gosling, Paul Giamatti, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Marisa Tomei and others in a political drama following an idealistic campaign manager in The Ides of March (2011) - IMDb based on the stage play ‘Farragut North’. (trailer)

Another political drama, this time an English period piece suggesting Edward De Veere wrote Shakespeare’s plays in Anonymous (2011) - IMDb stars Rhys Ifans, Vanessa Redgrave and David Thewlis. (trailer)

Miss Bala (2011) - IMDb is the story of a woman who wants to be Miss Mexico. (trailer)

The X-Factor’s Tulisa, Misfits' Robert Sheehan, and Bullet Boy’s Ashley Walters star in Demons Never Die (2011) - IMDb, a film about teenagers making a suicide pact, and then discovering they are becoming victims of a murderer. (trailer)

Other big movies this month:
Real Steel (2011) - IMDb (trailer),
Johnny English Reborn (2011) - IMDb trailer),
Footloose (2011) - IMDb (trailer),
Paranormal Activity 3 (2011) - IMDb (trailer),
The Adventures of Tintin (2011) - IMDb (trailer),

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Red State
Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I quite liked this and thought Michael Parks gave an excellent performance, he gave his character depth through performance rather than a monologue or flashback of his life, you don't really get given a detailed history of who he is and so on, but his performance made his character feel so much more than a one dimensional cliche (same with Melissa Leo). The film itself never lets you get comfortable, just when you think it will be one type of film it changes direction and becomes something different.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Oldman is very good. The way he often just observes and absorbes things around him is brilliant. Great film but yes I agree you do need to pay close attention to the tangled plot. The coffee and walnut cake I had was rather splendid as well.

Mind you, for the first ten minutes or so he wanders round with the stiff necked gait of a Thunderbirds puppet !

Also, about 15-20 minutes in, Smiley was walking round London and passed a speed hump in the road. Now, I started riding my motorcycle in about 1978 and they were not around then so, it came as a surprise to see one in London 1973.

Other than that, a superb film, Mark Strong and Benedict Cumberbatch both gave fantastic support to Oldman. Can't wait for the next Sherlock Holmes.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I have seen a few films of late. At the cinema I watched Warrior. Apart from a handful of scenes between Hardy and Nolte this film really is a waste of time. The sport it depicts - ultimate, multi disciplined fighting gubbins- is charmless and unengaging. The story is wholly unbelievable and even for a triumph of the human spirit, no brains required, sport movie is just unswallowable. There was just quite literally no point in making this film and it was a waste of my time.

On the old DVD I saw Hereafter, a virtually unnoticed Clint Eastwood directed little gem. It meanders a bit and those who require a linear story may struggle but it's worth a look. Matt Damon does a grand job and the scenes set in England are well done considering Eastwood's background.

I also saw another Damon flick, The Adjustment Bureau. It has been likened to Inception. I too found similarities between the films, namely they are both overblown pieces of horse shit that think they are more original than they actually are. The only saving grace for The Adjustment Bureau over Inception was that The Adjustment Bureau didn't have that massively overated child, Leonardo Dicapreo sniveling his way through the entire film.

You have been advised.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Someone here is about get very excited... (and to be fair to the bearded schmalz merchant, this does look good)

[yt]JPNyNr2Kp4w[/yt]

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Drive
An odd beast, in that I really enjoyed it, but I have no desire to watch it again. Not in an avoid it kind of way, but usually when I enjoy a film I look forward to watching it again, either on dvd rental or buying it, or even when it comes on TV, but I don't have that with this film. I am confused about two things. I don't believe this is a spoiler, in the sense that it ruins no surprises or anything, but is a detail from the film, so you may want to ignore the next paragraph if you want to avoid any detail about it...

The film opens with scenes that establish Gosling will act as getaway driver for people. This he does, and he appears to have manoeuvred the car and his passengers well enough to avoid police attention, yet with no real reason to suspect the car, it is still picked out by police, and I can't work out how; it wasn't seen at the scene of the crime, it was just driving along. Once he reacted and took evasive action the first cop can obviously pass on detail, but it was specifically stated it was the most common type of car, so how could it b picked out so easily? Also, to end the scene he parks the car in a busy garage gets out and walks off, without a word to the criminal passengers he had, and there's no clue as to what happened to them, they seemed surprised by the tactic, and the decision to park there, so what happened? Did they follow his lead and blend in, or were they caught?

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I loved Johnny English and have watched it on dvd/vhs a number of times. So I was looking forward to the sequel, not least because of the 4 * ratings I've seen.

Unfortunately Johnny English Reborn was, for me, very disappointing. No more than two or three laugh out loud moments, supporting cast not as good as the original film, script poor, storyline uninteresting and predictable.

Pity. 3/10

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Abduction

don't waste your time , awful film , predictable storyline with predictable ending , not one single positive I can take from it.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Don't be afraid of the dark - 5/10. Pretty dull and pretty predictable. 2 groups left with about 30 minutes to go.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
I saw We Need To Talk About Kevin last week and it was one of the standout features thus far seen at the film festival for me. Anyone who has read the novel will know it's not a happy-go-lucky subject matter, but it entails Tilda Swinton as the mother of Kevin, a horribly psychopathic boy with clear intentions of evildoing. The mother has red paint thrown all over her house and car and spends parts of the tale scraping that free, just as she attempts to undo her son's outright nefariousness. She never wanted Kevin, childbirth and settling into that suburban family life preventing her from continuing her acts of travel and experience, and it might be an underlying suggestion that Kevin felt that from the womb and disliked her equally when he emerged. The film is a mix of current representation of a ghostly woman destroyed by related event and struggling daily with guilt and accusation from the world, and flashbacks to the key occurrences that had this constant battle for power between evil child and generally decent mother grow and grow. It was directed by Lynne Ramsey and her visual style seen before in Ratcatcher is suitably striking. A bold red object pilfers attention in virtually every shot, blood and murder projecting itself in the background.
A powerful film that definitely retains your attention and cuts itself effectively for suspense. Swinton is quality as usual.

The other highlights for me thus far of the festival have been Las Acacias (slow-paced but gradually engrossing road-movie lovestory from Argentina), Shame (Michael Fassbender as a sex addict, Carey Mulligan as a troubled obsessive - each with their genitals out), Rampart (Woody Harrellson as a maniac cop in LA in the late 90s as the city tries to clean its police force up and him out), Elena (a Russian film in which personal tragedy strikes and how those nearest to it take from it - with a powerful and sometimes sudden Philip Glass score), and Terrafirma (set in Sicily when a fisherman saves the lives of a small group of drowning refugees, an act the police deem illicit, and the effects this has on tradition and different members of the family in a tense row of right and wrong). I went to a screentalk thing with Alexander Payne, the director of Election and Sideways (one of my alltime favourites) too on Friday, which was a pleasing affair. Off to see his new film, The Descendants, today. Followed 4 hours later by the "Surprise Film" which might have the Scorsese 3D film at it if London seeks to mirror the New York festival.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
PS - Miss Bala, which i saw last night, was quality too. A story of a beauty queen contestant unavoidably forced to go into the drugs and corruption of Mexico. There is action in the film, but the camera refuses to dart about and follow it. It just slowly moves in and through it. Bullets fly and windows are smashed, but not head-on, so there's the consistent fear of something about to explode nearby and having no idea why it should or really why we might be in the firing line. We're Laura, completely stuck in a situation she has no control over. It took a couple of wrong turns on occasion for my liking, but it's a really engrossing thriller and slight mood-piece.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports